Sponsored

If I'm getting auto with 2.3L,might as well get V6 for $250?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sneakers
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I love I4s, but in this particular case the 2.7 is far superior to the 2.3. Ask certified and not shade tree mechanics most will tell you go for the 2.7. Everyone knows you can tune the 2.3 yadi yadi. You can also tune the 2.7 yadi yadi. I will admit I am a shade tree mechanic, but doing my due diligence and discussing with mechanics contributed to my thought process.
?

gg555.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 ll the way . The smaller tank doesn't concern me as the 2dr is also smaller and lighter so it will average out . I also have to stop to pee after a few beers anyway and I also need to pick up more beer .
The 2D is smaller and lighter, true... Compared to the 4 door. But we're comparing 2.3 and 2.7 in just the 2 door.
I'll have to go over the gross vehicle weight stuff I think.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2D is smaller and lighter, true... Compared to the 4 door. But we're comparing 2.3 and 2.7 in just the 2 door.
I'll have to go over the gross vehicle weight stuff I think.
2.7 with more torque will have the potential to get better mpg in real world driving actually . Especially if you load it down with gear or tow or sasquatch :)

Thechief86

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Jeep XJ, 2008 Subaru Forester.
Your Bronco Model
Base
2.7 with more torque will have the potential to get better mpg in real world driving actually . Especially if you load it down with gear or tow or sasquatch :)
This is certainly true, and the way things have consistently gone for me with N/A v6 vs. N/A v8, and with my 2.5 litre jeep vs. all the 4.0 litre jeeps I've had. My '97 4 banger Wrangler was lucky to get 15 mpg with 4.10 gears and 32's, while my 4.0 Cherokee with 4.10's and 33's gets around 22 mpg.
Both were 5 speed manual.
I really do think I'll go down to 33's with my 2.3 ManSquatch, and the difference in tire mass coupled with the 4.7 gears will net decent gas mileage, (torque at the wheels should be a tad better) as long as I keep the RPM in a comparable range.

Sponsored

CycloneGT500

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You are buying the manual 2.3 for the experience. You are buying the 2.7 auto for resale down the road. Spending 1595 for an automatic without spending an additional 300 for the 2.7 ranks up there with those who wouldn't spend the additional 30 bucks to get a 289 over a straight 6 when Mustangs first came out.

pozi240

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4,2019 Ford Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You are buying the manual 2.3 for the experience. You are buying the 2.7 auto for resale down the road. Spending 1595 for an automatic without spending an additional 300 for the 2.7 ranks up there with those who wouldn't spend the additional 30 bucks to get a 289 over a straight 6 when Mustangs first came out.
True that. And , coincidentally, $30 from 1965 is worth $248 in today's money. Too funny. Ford must still be using the same upgrade cost formula.

OP
OP
WuNgUn

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Possibly!? But with more power, you're tempted to use more of it all the time! Lol
Heavy on the pedal.... Weeee!

Gman90

Base
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 mustang gt500
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 to me is a better engine than the 2.3. I’ve had 2.3 engines that have failed in mustangs, especially kid owned mustangs who don’t take care of them. I would love to have a 2.7 IF I had the money to always have some one else work on it. It’s mustang 4.6 SOHC vs 4.6 DOHC all over again. Yes DOHC is more hp but harder to build and more expensive to maintain “More parts equals more chances for failures”. SOHC easier to build and the HP Is more than enough for 90% of people “I personally like keeping it stupid simple”. Btw the 2.3 turbo has more hp than both those engines did when the first came out.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Getting the manual could still add value because it will be rarer. But imo unless you want the manual I'd just spend the extra money on the 2.7L. I rather go manual than 2.7L, since there's no manual option on the 2.7L.

Sponsored

CycloneGT500

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Getting the manual could still add value because it will be rarer. But imo unless you want the manual I'd just spend the extra money on the 2.7L. I rather go manual than 2.7L, since there's no manual option on the 2.7L.
I swore Id get manual but was reminded I may not want to shift in 5 years and I plan to keep this for awhile. Manual shift certainly adds to the fun factor in my opinion.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm still on the fence... Having gobs of power from the V6 would be nice. And if I decide on auto, I'll 85% probably go with the 2.7L
But the 7 speed is still intriguing!
Difference in mileage will come down to the added weight and more internal resistance of 6 cylinders, which won't be a huge difference.
As for driving, it WILL be my daily driver (Badlands, un-Squatched) and it'll be racking up the miles!
Im Badlands - no Squatch. Definitely getting the 2.7L. You'll never regret the bigger engine, but if you regret the smaller, you're f_cked!

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I swore Id get manual but was reminded I may not want to shift in 5 years and I plan to keep this for awhile. Manual shift certainly adds to the fun factor in my opinion.
I agree, I may not want to be in traffic with a manual, which I'll occasionally be in but I want the fun factor over anything else. I think I'm going to be happy with the manual and 2.3L. I don't think I'm at manual or nothing at this point but I'm definitely ordering my two door with a manual.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One could argue the added power of the 2.7L along with the V6 will allow for less gas usage getting the vehicle up to speed. Where as the 4 cylinder will be pushed harder. During idle and cruise the difference has to be negligible.

Bronco88

Black Diamond
First Name
Ajay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
7 speed Manual 2.3 in a 2 door would be fun but I'm not investing in that 4 banger while in a heavy 4 door off roading vehicle with steep gearing and big tires. Doesn't matter how much HP you can tune it to, the problem is longevity over time. The 2.7 has iron graphite coating (Taken from the 6.7 Diesel) and makes it makes its power in the low to mid range so I would think that would be better for an off roading vehicle compared to the 2.3's powerband. I'm getting the 2.7 hands down, it's the fastest stock engine in the F150 and the 2nd fastest after tuning (Not Including the Raptor engine) I mean a 5.0 out of a mustang would be sweet lol
Sponsored