Sponsored

If you add towing package (hitch)...do you lose the tow hook?

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco comes with a rear tow hook. If you add the towing package (hitch)...do you then lose the tow hook on the BRONCO? The reason I ask; I have a Ranger Tremor on order also. It comes with 2 rear tow hooks...but....when you add the towing package/hitch....the rear tow hooks are lost because they mount to the same location. Does the same hold true for the BRONCO ???????????????
Ford Bronco If you add towing package (hitch)...do you lose the tow hook? TowHOOK
Sponsored

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco comes with a rear tow hook. If you add the towing package (hitch)...do you then lose the tow hook on the BRONCO? The reason I ask; I have a Ranger Tremor on order also. It comes with 2 rear tow hooks...but....when you add the towing package/hitch....the rear tow hooks are lost because they mount to the same location. Does the same hold true for the BRONCO ???????????????
Ford Bronco If you add towing package (hitch)...do you lose the tow hook? TowHOOK
You do not lose recovery points. That tow hitch could be a ballistic ball coming at you if you tried to recover using it...

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ones with the steel bumpers have 2 tow hooks, one on each side.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No. You keep the tow hook...you want to recover using that hook.
Got a question for you on that.
I'm getting the tow package and I have a hitch-mounted shackle.

Pros and cons of recovering using the factory recovery point vs. the hitch-mounted shackle?

I get that the recovery point is secure to the frame vs. the hitch shackle which has an additional potential failure point. But I would also think that in many situations recovering from the center might be preferable to the offset line of pull.

Sponsored

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am just trying to find a 2nd tow hook for my base. I too do not like the offset pull angle. That picture looks familiar by the way lol

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got a question for you on that.
I'm getting the tow package and I have a hitch-mounted shackle.

Pros and cons of recovering using the factory recovery point vs. the hitch-mounted shackle?

I get that the recovery point is secure to the frame vs. the hitch shackle which has an additional potential failure point. But I would also think that in many situations recovering from the center might be preferable to the offset line of pull.
I have operated under the guidance that it is safer for the frame to use the factory recovery point. The factory recovery point(s) is mounted to the side member, and pulling places force directly to that member, where the rear hitch could add twisting force. Others on here have explained it better in reference to the Bronco...

Ford Bronco If you add towing package (hitch)...do you lose the tow hook? 1631912180766

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have operated under the guidance that it is safer for the frame to use the factory recovery point. The factory recovery point(s) is mounted to the side member, and pulling places force directly to that member, where the rear hitch could add twisting force. Others on here have explained it better in reference to the Bronco...

Ford Bronco If you add towing package (hitch)...do you lose the tow hook? 1631912180766
"excuse me, Mr. Bronco Frame, can i purchase that passenger side rear tow hook from you? Name your price" lol

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes sense. I was thinking about it mainly in terms of the number of connections that could fail. Weld to frame vs. receiver/frame, hitch pin, etc. And you know the factory recovery point is rated to recover the vehicle. But the dynamic forces of a kinetic recovery are a lot different from towing a load, so I'm not sure about the hitch-mounted shackle.

I think it's just that the offset pull bothers me. (Partly because a straight even line of pull was always drilled into me during EOD training.) But then again, if you're using either shackle point on the front, those are offset as well.

Sponsored

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm be curious o the stress of using a receiver mounted shackle vs a tow hook. I'd rather see the load distributed to both sides of the frame verses just one side. The hitch has an actual rating, does the hook?

I'd rather straight pull than off to the side UNLESS the recovery situation warranted an off-center pull due to environment or vehicle conditions.

OP
OP
DUSTYcazOREGON

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My Outer Banks with tow package. Hook on left under license plate.

That answers the question. Thanks. Some of you did not understand the question. The question was, if you add the tow package (for towing purposes of course), do you then lose the tow hooks. That was the question. Because (like I said) on the Ranger; the tow hooks and the towing hitch mount to the same location...adding towing package to a Ranger = you lose the tow hooks. They must have a different hitch/rear frame set up than the Bronco.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am just trying to find a 2nd tow hook for my base. I too do not like the offset pull angle. That picture looks familiar by the way lol
Just order the right side hook from Ford. They install them when you get the steel bumpers so should be available through parts barring any shortages.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn't use the factory receiver to recover the truck, especially using a kinetic rope, since it is bolted to the crossmember. You always want to pull in line with either frame rail or a reinforced bumper point designed for such a recovery. The factory hitch would bend and rotate the cross member the hitch is mounted to under extreme, repeated shock loads. The factory recovery points are somewhat questionable, but at least they are bolted directly to the frame rails. Similar recovery points without the downward bend are available from the Ranger and are used on other models, and are even available in chrome...
More on rear recovery points
Sponsored