Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Two days ago, I thought It would be a great idea for the Bronco and I to do what every Bronco owner should do and visit the sacred Bronco Knoll. I got up saturday morning at 4:30am and made my way to Johnson Valley, where a few surprises awaited me.

I wasn't familiar with the Johnson Valley area but thanks to the video by @Chase Gentry showing the christening of this location and the map provided by @Torgsurv and his towering cairn, I was able to find my way up.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04808-Pano

I followed the transmission lines
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04756-Pano

I had three choices according to this ancient map.

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 Bronco Knoll 001

Being a beginner, and alone, the green line looked great to me.

I was also testing a new setup using packouts, I wanted to see how they held up off-road with all the movement.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 IMG_6326

But once I got there, something came over me.. it must have been the ancient Bronco spirits pressing me to do the tougher line.
I pressed some buttons and turned some knobs and made it up the steeper 35% degree first section of A.
What I didn't realize was, there was another section just after it with loose rocks and what seemed to me a steeper ascent. I nearly shit myself.
No way to turn back. I pressed more of the buttons and made my way up. Mid way, I lost traction and felt digging. I stopped, pulled my parking brake, which was actually my hood.. then I pulled the parking brake, got out .. felt the truck a little tippy. Nervously I closed my hood, got back in carefully and just gassed it, lightly, and made it up.

Here is a video of my arrival at the site.

Once I got there I quickly noticed the the Bronco mage's (@Torgsurv ) cairn, the Bronco spirit guiding stone, and also the Bronco Nation ad. I knew I was in the right place.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04789

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04840-Pano-2

I sat here for about 1.5 hours, meditating on which bronco trim is the best , and how to remedy my window rattle.
All while drinking my luke warm dunkin donuts coffee and smoking a cheap cigar.

Just then, it occurred to me I need to eventually get off this knoll. I hadn't planned that far ahead.
But precisely as I was having this thought, in the distance I noticed two un-mistakable boxy shapes.
More pilgrims on their way to visit this site? or the Bronco spirits sending me guides?

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04856
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04859

Here they are arriving at the site.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04883-Pano

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04892

We introduce ourselves and they suggested I join them for a little off-road action. I happily obliged. Who am I to deny guides sent by the Bronco spirit.

We then went through several trails, meandering our way about. Many pucker moments for me, but it was nice watching rigs complete the challenges before my attempt.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04923
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04898

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04899

We got to a point where we had to make a decision to take the long way back down or turn back the way we came. We decided to turn back and found a suitable trail down to the dry flat bed. One of the fellas suggested we setup a time trials course and so we did.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04959-Pano

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04997
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04980

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04976

Fun day out and I recommend it to anyone who is considering it. Took me about half day.

I'm also grateful to the two Bronco owners I met yesterday. I would never have gone down those additional trails and gained the experience had they not been around. Cheers Bronco community.

DSC04874.jpg

DSC04883-Pano.jpg

DSC04840-Pano.jpg
Sponsored

Chase Gentry

Wildtrak
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 and 2016 TRD Tacoma & 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Two days ago, I thought It would be a great idea for the Bronco and I to do what every Bronco owner should do and visit the sacred Bronco Knoll. I got up saturday morning at 4:30am and made my way to Johnson Valley, where a few surprises awaited me.

I wasn't familiar with the Johnson Valley area but thanks to the video by @Chase Gentry showing the christening of this location and the map provided by @Torgsurv and his towering cairn, I was able to find my way up.
Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04840-Pano

Ford Bronco If you build it they will come - Bronco Knoll Baptism 10/15/22 DSC04840-Pano

I was also testing a new setup using packouts, I wanted to see how they held up off-road with all the movement.

But once I got there, something came over me.. it must have been the ancient Bronco spirits pressing me to do the tougher line.
I pressed some buttons and turned some knobs and made it up the steeper 35% degree first section of A.
What I didn't realize was, there was another section just after it with loose rocks and what seemed to me a steeper ascent. I nearly shit myself.
No way to turn back. I pressed more of the buttons and made my way up. Mid way, I lost traction and felt digging. I stopped, pulled my parking brake, which was actually my hood.. then I pulled the parking brake, got out .. felt the truck a little tippy. Nervously I closed my hood, got back in carefully and just gassed it, lightly, and made it up.

Once I got there I quickly noticed the the Bronco mage's (@Torgsurv ) cairn, the Bronco spirit guiding stone, and also the Bronco Nation ad. I knew I was in the right place.

I sat here for about 1.5 hours, meditating on which bronco trim is the best , and how to remedy my window rattle.

Just then, it occurred to me I need to eventually get off this knoll. I hadn't planned that far ahead.
But precisely as I was having this thought, in the distance I noticed two un-mistakable boxy shapes.
More pilgrims on their way to visit this site? or the Bronco spirits sending me guides?

We introduce ourselves and they suggested I join them for a little off-road action. I happily obliged. Who am I to deny guides sent by the Bronco spirit.

We then went through several trails, meandering our way about. Many pucker moments for me, but it was nice watching rigs complete the challenges before my attempt.

We got to a point where we had to make a decision to take the long way back down or turn back the way we came. We decided to turn back and found a suitable trail down to the dry flat bed. One of the fellas suggested we setup a time trials course and so we did.

Fun day out and I recommend it to anyone who is considering it. Took me about half day.

I'm also grateful to the two Bronco owners I met yesterday. I would never have gone down those additional trails and gained the experience had they not been around. Cheers Bronco community.

Man awesome write up of this adventure! I love it!

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man awesome write up of this adventure! I love it!
Love watching your vids! How is the skydio working out for you? I tried firing up my old DJI and all 4 batteries dead. Might just upgrade to that one.

Chase Gentry

Wildtrak
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 and 2016 TRD Tacoma & 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Love watching your vids! How is the skydio working out for you? I tried firing up my old DJI and all 4 batteries dead. Might just upgrade to that one.
Thanks ! And I absolutely love the SKYDIO! Does all the hard work if your solo !

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great Pictures!!! Actually joining the run going out there this coming Sat.
Thanks for sharing. (y)

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The exact off-roading I enjoy. Peaceful. Serene. A bit of shenanigans. Back to reality.

Graybs

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks for taking the time to share with us!! Great write up and pics!

Sponsored

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great storytelling and pics.

No way to turn back. I pressed more of the buttons and made my way up. Mid way, I lost traction and felt digging. I stopped, pulled my parking brake, which was actually my hood.. then I pulled the parking brake, got out ..

I got that one out of the way at the OffRoadeo. Haha
Those guides encouraged honking "applause" from the other participants whenever anyone did that. They also encouraged liberal use of the parking brake to ease the torque on the the transmission when parked on a slope. I've gotten into the habit of always applying the parking brake now. (now without accidentally releasing the hood)

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This looks like it was one of them pucker up moments. Awesome write up, and great photos!
Going out there this weekend with a group. This is one of the things I really want to do.
This was actually one of the fellas I met. He put the WILD in wildtrak. If you click on the pic and zoom in on his front left tire, you can see it barely hanging on for dear life.

OP
OP
KT_bronco

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great storytelling and pics.

I got that one out of the way at the OffRoadeo. Haha
Those guides encouraged honking "applause" from the other participants whenever anyone did that. They also encouraged liberal use of the parking brake to ease the torque on the the transmission when parked on a slope. I've gotten into the habit of always applying the parking brake now. (now without accidentally releasing the hood)
I let off a few expletives when I did that. No one was around to appreciate my frustration. lolol

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This was actually one of the fellas I met. He put the WILD in wildtrak. If you click on the pic and zoom in on his front left tire, you can see it barely hanging on for dear life.
Oh wow. Definitely close to popping a bead and a poop moment there. :oops:

Cliff White

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07GT/CS, Ranger, Bronco Sport, Harley
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs