Sponsored

If you could tell ford 5 things to improve the "next gen" factory bronco update. What would they be?

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Seeing as we are heading into year 2 now of the bronco. Eventually ford will head to the drawing board and update the car inside and out like jeep has been doing with the wrangler every few years(JK to JL) so what are some hard changes that you would like to see with the bronco in 5+ years when they decide to update it

1. Stay away from electric until you have your own DEDICATED bronco frame/platform/ and new safer batteries (solid state aka 5-10 years from now)
Im a big fan of electric vehicles. In concept. Unfortunately politics has decided to push the tech way way to early and consumers are getting burned by cars that will eventually age like ipads instead of cars. When solid state technology hits the industry , its going to revolutionize the practicality of electric vehicles by MUCH faster charging (comparable to a gas tank fill up) and MUCH MUCH safer batteries that wont boil you alive in your car at temperatures that can melt titanium.

Its also important that ford develop its own platform and not just try to shove batteries in gaps of the t6 platform. Im a big big fan of this retro design for a "electric" or "powerboost" bronco that has a flat bed/folding tailgate that is stacked with batteries for a ton of extra range. If ford ever wants to make a bronco "lightning" they should skip trying to adapt the current bronco and instead go for a new member of the family that meets the "gladiator" gap. Ford canceled the bronco pickup , however pickups are superior for battery storage. so maybe ford can bring this design to the table for electric.
Ford Bronco If you could tell ford 5 things to improve the "next gen" factory bronco update. What would they be? 2021-ford-bronco-vintage-renderings

2. V8 compatibility.
"but the power of the 2.7 is fine look at the numbers" "v8 whiners are annoying" That isnt the point. Is the 2.7/3.0 better on paper? maybe. The point is that off roaders and car people alike love the v8 and love naturally aspirated engines. Its also important that ford understand that while we are entering the twilight of ICE engine , they should be thinking about preserving the legacy of these engines by producing a platform that allows proper mounting and compatibility instead of fabrication work. The coyote crate engine should be something ford produces 30+ years from now for hobbyists and car fans , and we need a bronco platform/frame that will be able to simply drop this engine into it. As well as a beefy transmission that can handle it. There is a reason that the old broncos are still around. Imagine the lasting power of broncos that have aluminum paneling. This is going to be fords swan song to an era they started and can end. The v8 needs to be a part of it.

3. No more "fun" blocking
The current bronco is very impressive that it allows consumers of any model enjoy the sasquatch package. However it blocks anybody without a 2.3 engine from having a manual transmission. It also up until recently blocked people from having manual+ sasquach. In the future the bronco should be designed from the ground up to provide this kind of fun at all trim levels. Ford should do a deep dive on design and make sure that while there are differences in the trim levels. You should be able to go anywhere in a base that you can in a badlands regardless of the engine you pick but also have FUN doing it. So if ford decides to axe the manual transmission in the future for whatever reason , ALL bronco models regardless of trim should have FUN shift paddles for example. Nobody should be left out of the fun stuff. Maybe even a electric "faux" stick shift.

4. Removable AND fold flat and flush rear seating.
People need room in their cars. Sometimes they need seating. Sometimes they need storage. Ford should make sure that every single bronco model , 4 door and 2 door , has rear seating that allows expansive storage options. Or even removable all together. Being able to fold your seat flat is good. However that utility is increased 10 fold if the seats fold flat AND flush with the rear floor. This will enable a massive gain in utility from factory broncos. Ford should design the rear of the vehicle specifically for this and make sure all it takes to turn your bronco from a kid pickerupper to a pseudo pickup , is flipping down the seats. Also make sure the rear of the seats are not carpet this time!

5. Less complex manufacture by streamlining features and trims
Eventually when this new bronco drops. Tech will have moved on quite a bit. I believe all broncos in the future should have the 12 inch screen (or whatever exists at the time as the premium option) with no alternative option. This streamlines the production and makes it simple. I also believe all trims should have standard washout flooring on all trims , with the option to put removable carpet in. But most important. Ford needs to get rid of some trims. There should be a base. A "luxury mom car." and a badlands. And (maybe) something beyond (the raptor should replace the wildtrack in my opinion) . But ultimately you only really need 3 trims. 1 low cost bare bones trim , a middle trim for people who dont need extreme off road features , and the extreme version. This makes manufacture very simple.
Sponsored

Last edited:

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why should we tell them anything? They don’t communicate with us.

if we have to I guess I’d say “Keep Hanging in there.”

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
im pretty sure they read the most active bronco forum
Oh they do…but the people reading don’t actually know how to do much more than apologize. The “help” I’ve been given twice now when contacted boiled down to “we can’t really tell you anything, you need to call the 800 number.”

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

1) add a real damned tach / analog looking tach view, or replace analog speedo with tach / make speed digital only

2) max tow package to 5000lbs

3) 7MT with 2.7

4) better clutch and brake variation / feel

5) improve easily scratched cheap looking interior plastic

And that’s assuming they someday soon come out with a quality top - particularly a white one.

Sponsored

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Offer a fixed top. I realize they wanted to show off that every Bronco can have fun with the top off, but not everyone cares about that, and just think of all the issues that would have been avoided for those customers.

1) add a real damned tach / analog looking tach view, or replace analog speedo with tach / make speed digital only
This is something they should be able to offer to all Bronco owners via an update. It should not wait for the next generation.

I'm not predicting that Ford will do that for us, but they could.

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
  • Banned
Offer a fixed top. I realize they wanted to show off that every Bronco can have fun with the top off, but not everyone cares about that, and just think of all the issues that would have been avoided for those customers.

This is something they should be able to offer to all Bronco owners via an update. It should not wait for the next generation.

I'm not predicting that Ford will do that for us, but they could.
I have a feeling that ford will scrap the MIC entirely soon once they figure out what they are doing with the mod top. just a feeling

as for the tachometer. Yes this is literally what an easy over the air update could add and they should do it

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I like the ideas you posted OP
I agree, there shouldn't be so many trims and also shouldn't have the "tiers" packages where you have to jump trims AND add some luxury or premium package JUST to get the better stereo.
I think you should be able to have more ala carte options, like the stereo, vinyl interior, vinyl seats, etc.
It'd be cool if they like you said had a base that you can load up with the specs of the "fully loaded" first edition, a luxury model like the king ranch with luscious leather like the demo promo pre production broncos, maybe a thick unremovable hard top with a panoramic sunroof for the city slickers/non off roading crowd , and an extreme trim like the raptor/everglades for the extreme/gottahaveit crowd.
The fold flat seats/easily removable seats i feel are some low hanging fruit they couldn't figure out right out the gate. Maybe they can steal some honda designers to maximize space, the honda fit blew my mind with how roomy its hatch was unassumingly.
Maybe they can move to a 100% online purchase model too where the dealers are just involved to implement financing/receiving the order.

Sponsored

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a feeling that ford will scrap the MIC entirely soon once they figure out what they are doing with the mod top. just a feeling

as for the tachometer. Yes this is literally what an easy over the air update could add and they should do it
I don't gripe about the digital dash but they really should've used what the new f150 uses, it doesn't make sense why they didn't use something more current.

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree. Once we get into the second half of the year, people might start 99'ing their orders to avoid getting the "legacy" MIC top.

Not that I have a warm and fuzzy feeling about the MOD necessarily solving all the issues.

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Fix the window drop as you open the door.
Give us mud flaps that work with rock rails and side steps/tube steps.
Decent rear a/c vents.
Increase temp on heated steering wheel.
On 2 door, make the seat rail lock when seat pushed forward (for getting to a rear seat).

OP
OP

MDbeachguy

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fix the window drop as you open the door.
Give us mud flaps that work with rock rails and side steps/tube steps.
Decent rear a/c vents.
Increase temp on heated steering wheel.
On 2 door, make the seat rail lock when seat pushed forward (for getting to a rear seat).
these are really good , however the thread is more "hard" updates aka new bronco entirely

sort of like how the JK wrangler went to the JL

it would be a 10 year wait

those things you listed could likely be fixed in the mean time save the AC vents.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Quality, Quality, Quality and more Quality - in individual components, but also especially in assembly (fit and finish) and stop selling unproven components.

If it is one thing that gets me upset about Ford, is that they still have not learned a thing when it comes to quality. Any time one of us has a big warranty claim, the profit on that vehicle is gone whether that is an engine, a roof panel or the whole roof or a specific smaller component across thousands of vehicles. It pays for them and for us as customers if they would spend more time, money and effort to improve the overall quality.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Bronco and what it represents, how it handles on- and off-road, they know how to design - but they are cheap in their component purchasing and don't spend enough in assembly quality. The result is that I sold a 4Runner where I knew, 99% sure, that it would last 200'000 miles if I took care of it. With the Bronco, I am worried shitless that the 2.7 engine will blow, the tie-rods will not be able to handle rough terrain, that the roof will simply fail with UV and temperature changes, that the wiring harness by the drive shaft will be eaten and so on......
Sponsored