Sponsored

If you're Ford, which trim do you tool your line for 1st?

If you're Ford, which trim do you tool your line for 1st?

• Total voters

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I voted Base.

Because I couldn't vote "All of the above."

The production line doesn't retool, they're all built together.
Sponsored

Brokennose

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scout
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously FE will be first. Beyond that, selfishly hoping for the Badlands.

OP
OP
perfectburrito

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every work station is continually loaded to match the scheduled production orders, it's logistical magic at it's finest. Raptors, Limiteds and 2WD XLs are all made in a continuous stream.

Pretty interesting! Thanks!

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't agree that FE should be first... just because it's in the trim name and all. Only one makes sense to me. Badlands absolutely, completely, totally, utterly, perfectly, entirely, wholly, fully, quite thoroughly, unreservedly, definitely, certainly, positively, unconditionally, categorically, unquestionably, no doubt, undoubtedly, without (a) doubt, without question, surely, unequivocally, exactly, precisely, decisively, conclusively and manifestly.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm familiar enough with automation to know that variation is the enemy. Different engines, suspensions, transmissions, electronics offered at each level has to affect throughput if you're constantly resetting your stations.

Maybe someone knows more and can educate me though.
In these days it is as simple as coordinating a "kit" to take to the production floor to place in the kanban (spot in line, example is a square on the floor for the next job, another square behind it for the next one after it, etc.)
In my manufacturing world we have standard builds, and some that get different options/packages/etc. You work off of a schedule that everyone has.
The warehouse gets the stuff together per the build sheet or packing list, takes to the production floor and arranges it in these spots determined by the build sequence.
It really would be as simple as placing a 2.3 in a crate for next in line, then placing a 2.7 in the 2nd spot. All down the line the options for that 2nd spot would be filled with what is on order #2.

However, It would be advantageous for Ford to batch build to a certain extent just due to parts flow, simplicity, and repetition.
Whatever the case in their situation, they are the pioneers of production line assembly, so they probably have it figured out in concert with all of the lean manufacturing, JIT parts flow, kanbans, and "Toyota production systems" learned over the past few decades that work.
If you have boredom or interest, look up those terms. IT's a really cool science to efficient product flow, and I can attest to the fact it works like clockwork (as long as parts are in stock and available).

Sponsored
OP
OP
perfectburrito

perfectburrito

Badlands
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Sasquatch, 2.7AT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In these days it is as simple as coordinating a "kit" to take to the production floor to place in the kanban (spot in line, example is a square on the floor for the next job, another square behind it for the next one after it, etc.)
In my manufacturing world we have standard builds, and some that get different options/packages/etc. You work off of a schedule that everyone has.
The warehouse gets the stuff together per the build sheet or packing list, takes to the production floor and arranges it in these spots determined by the build sequence.
It really would be as simple as placing a 2.3 in a crate for next in line, then placing a 2.7 in the 2nd spot. All down the line the options for that 2nd spot would be filled with what is on order #2.

However, It would be advantageous for Ford to batch build to a certain extent just due to parts flow, simplicity, and repetition.
Whatever the case in their situation, they are the pioneers of production line assembly, so they probably have it figured out in concert with all of the lean manufacturing, JIT parts flow, kanbans, and "Toyota production systems" learned over the past few decades that work.
If you have boredom or interest, look up those terms. IT's a really cool science to efficient product flow, and I can attest to the fact it works like clockwork (as long as parts are in stock and available).
We do custom builds for DoD, so I'm familiar with some of this and am definitely a nerd for it. Obviously, I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to production at scale like this. Thanks for the insights!

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably get the FE out(that's why its called First Edition) and then Build the Most Ordered Model (Money Matters) and then the next.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They're going to look at what they have inventory on hand for, what configurations they have on order, what parts are on their way and attempt to schedule accordingly to minimize any down time on the line. Could be any combination of door counts, trim levels, options, etc. as long as they can keep the lines fed with the right parts at the right time.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We do custom builds for DoD, so I'm familiar with some of this and am definitely a nerd for it. Obviously, I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to production at scale like this. Thanks for the insights!
DoD custom builds?! Man that just sounds badass.

Sub_Sonarman

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus SE, 2018 F-250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm familiar enough with automation to know that variation is the enemy. Different engines, suspensions, transmissions, electronics offered at each level has to affect throughput if you're constantly resetting your stations.

Maybe someone knows more and can educate me though.
You're definitely not an expert. I work in a auto plant. Variation is essential to maintain line and to keep Production Team Members thinking while working. Some vehicles require more options than others, so building a whole bunch of FEs or BLs in a row would slow down the line. They have to space out the high option vehicles a little bit.

Sponsored

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just curious what people think. Automated assembly lines are complex to re-tool for different options. If you were Ford and - all other things being equal - you were starting up your 1st production run, which trim would you push FIRST?

For my part, I think Badlands. Primarily for selfish reasons.... But also because I think it will easily be the biggest seller and getting brand awareness/demand early will be critical to establishing it against the Rubicon.
First edition because they're first edition. Duh. Clearly by september

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FE....um...FE. You can't produce a 'First' Edition in the 2nd year.

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically, the FE is a version of the Badlands. I'd say that both the FE and Badlands are the 'right' guess.

Seems we have forgotten this is FORD, the inventor of the production line manufacturing. They can work it any way they want, as long as it's fast.

broncoj11

Badlands
First Name
Trunks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

based on popularity I would say badlands but once b&p comes out i’m sure some folks will bump down to Bd’s. so first edition and then black diamond or obx.
Sponsored