Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was born in Northeast Texas and lived there until I enlisted at age 20. I retired from the Air Force in 2018 and have lived in Central Arkansas since then. I would’ve moved back to Texas, but my wife is from here. I’ve never lived in the DFW area, so I’ll defer to others for the experience there. Most of my family still resides in East Texas piney woods. Don’t pay too much attention to the comments about electric and natural gas issues. This is fresh on everyone’s minds. I’ve never seen snow or temps like this in this area before. The early 80s was the last time anything was even close. But if you like to be prepared, find a home with a wood burning heater or fireplace. This is a cheaper backup plan than a home backup generator and propane tank. A small potable gas or diesel generator will suffice for lights, tv, and refrigerator/freezer. But this is really a once/twice in a lifetime event here. Also, if looking for outdoor stuff, I’m more well versed in Arkansas than Texas, as I live here now and we spent a ton of time here when I was a kid. The Ouachita National Forest in Southwest Arkansas is full of camping/off-roading/outdoor activities. And isn’t too far from the DFW area. And a little further away in North Arkansas is the Ozark National Forest. They don’t call Arkansas the Natural State for no reason.
Sponsored

Sponsored

GOODVBZ

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford escape, LR4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Alternatively if you don’t mind a little commute and higher cost of living uptown/lower Greenville/live oak/deep Ellum has a ton of stuff to do. Actually building a house in uptown now.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

and throw in a shot of This....

Disaronno.jpg

LOL My wife throws that in everything she drinks. Her go to is Disaronno and Dr. Pepper (bout as Texan as you can get LOL)

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@Philly couple of things.
1. Don't take advice or recommendations from people who never lived here or from those that are relaying what their friend said.
2. You are about to meet some of the nicest people you will ever come across. We moved here about 12 years ago (no way it has been that long!) From VA and for the first year or so my wife and I would constantly remark to each other how polite everyone is.
3. Chik Fil A
4. Consider renting for the first year to get a lay of the land
5. Plenty of places to wheel

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Philly Welcome to Texas! Such a big state = lots of places to go. Its like Disney World. Can't do it all in one trip LOL. Definitely try and take advantage of the Off Rodeo in Austin area and see the Hill Country! Good little hot spot for Wineries, Breweries, and Distilleries too!

Sponsored

CCross

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax, 2000 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful area, we did the Texas State Railroad Palestine to Rusk run a couple of years ago.
You’re welcome, it was my pleasure. I’m from Atlanta, TX.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I forgot to mention the "cheaper than dirt store"

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was born in Northeast Texas and lived there until I enlisted at age 20. I retired from the Air Force in 2018 and have lived in Central Arkansas since then. I would’ve moved back to Texas, but my wife is from here. I’ve never lived in the DFW area, so I’ll defer to others for the experience there. Most of my family still resides in East Texas piney woods. Don’t pay too much attention to the comments about electric and natural gas issues. This is fresh on everyone’s minds. I’ve never seen snow or temps like this in this area before. The early 80s was the last time anything was even close. But if you like to be prepared, find a home with a wood burning heater or fireplace. This is a cheaper backup plan than a home backup generator and propane tank. A small potable gas or diesel generator will suffice for lights, tv, and refrigerator/freezer. But this is really a once/twice in a lifetime event here. Also, if looking for outdoor stuff, I’m more well versed in Arkansas than Texas, as I live here now and we spent a ton of time here when I was a kid. The Ouachita National Forest in Southwest Arkansas is full of camping/off-roading/outdoor activities. And isn’t too far from the DFW area. And a little further away in North Arkansas is the Ozark National Forest. They don’t call Arkansas the Natural State for no reason.

+1 for the Natural State! Well, most of it anyway. The Delta is more like Mississippi.
I'd still live in Alaska if my wife had been happy there. So here I am. TX is a fun place to visit. Try to spend a week in Dallas every year and make a trip to TX each year for some hunting. Wouldn't want to live there though, but what self respecting Razorback would?
Sponsored