Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's nothing too serious right now, but back in the day I had 35" Pirelli MTR's on my '78 Bronco that sat on 15 inch rims.

After trying* to find the exact size on those Pirellis via the Google Box I've come to the conclusion that either I am mistaken about the size, they have been completely discontinued, or I'm misremembering the brand. Or possibly a bit of each.

As it stands, I'm thinking about swapping out whatever comes on my Sasquatch with after market 15" wheels. I want a wide footprint and stance but it may be more challenging to find a decent pairing than I originally thought.

Anyone have any suggestion for a good wheel/tire combo that will fit my needs?

*unsuccessfully

Edit: Some folks pointed out that the calipers are going to be an issue. Hadn't thought about it, but yeah, 15s are a probably not going to happen.

No need to bump the thread to repeat what the first person said, thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's nothing too serious right now, but back in the day I had 35" Pirelli MTR's on my '78 Bronco that sat on 15 inch rims.

After trying* to find the exact size on those Pirellis via the Google Box I've come to the conclusion that either I am mistaken about the size, they have been completely discontinued, or I'm misremembering the brand. Or possibly a bit of each.

As it stands, I'm thinking about swapping out whatever comes on my Sasquatch with after market 15" wheels. I want a wide footprint and stance but it may be more challenging to find a decent pairing than I originally thought.

*unsuccessfully
15's probably won't fit around the brakes.

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm hoping Sasq comes with bigger brakes, and so I hope 15" wheels don't fit.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

*unsuccessfully
Since 16" wheels are the smallest the Bronco come with the 15" wheel may hit the brake calipers.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

Badlands
First Name
Cappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since 16" wheels are the smallest the Bronco come with the 15" wheel may hit the brake calipers.
You and the other guys raise a good point.

Hadn't really thought about that actually. Most of the photos with the 17" wheels have a good bit of clearance on the calipers so I didn't really stop to consider it being an issue.

Ah well, like I said, nothing serious.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

15" won't clear the calipers. I am surprised that they offer a 16". On the Raptor 17" in the minimum that clears.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
You and the other guys raise a good point.

Hadn't really thought about that actually. Most of the photos with the 17" wheels have a good bit of clearance on the calipers so I didn't really stop to consider it being an issue.

Ah well, like I said, nothing serious.
I already looked over at the Ranger forums when Mike L tweeted that the Base Bronco uses steel Ranger rims.

15" is a no-go.
Calipers are too fat.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got a particular brand of 15 inch rims to fit on my JK Wrangler when everyone swore 15s wouldn't fit, but I don't know if we'll get as lucky with the Bronco brakes.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like everyone else has said, 15's may not clear the brakes. However, I run 15's with 35's on my 2010 JKU and they do not hit. Not all 15" wheels are created equal though.

Also, I believe the tire you are thinking of is the Goodyear MTR. They now come with Kevlar sidewalls. This is the tire I run on my Jeep in a 35/12.50r15.

Edit: Turns out I had never heard of the Pirelli MTR before. I didn't even know they existed. A lot of tires don't come in larger sizes with that small of a wheel anymore because newer vehicles are often heavier and require larger brakes in addition to larger wheels being more popular. Very few manufacturers offer a 35/12.50r15 tire anymore.

Last edited:

FrogGrabber

Black Diamond
First Name
Marshall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: 2012 Wrangler, 2015 JKUR, ‘70 Jeepster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had same experience on my JK. Got 15” wheels on there and cleared calipers but just barely. Most 15” steel wheels will not fit a JK, but most aluminum wheels do, FYI.

Another question that you will need to trial with an actual vehicle to get a clear answer.

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I got a particular brand of 15 inch rims to fit on my JK Wrangler when everyone swore 15s wouldn't fit, but I don't know if we'll get as lucky with the Bronco brakes.
Yup. they fit with 3.5" backspacing.

I had a set running 33x12.50R15 before the current 35x10.50R17s.

Bump steer with so little backspacing was horrible.
Groove tracking on the highway in traffic could get exciting at times.

Current pizza cutters fit on factory rims without spacers, so the tall sidewall's ride is better than stock .

-----------

I wouldn't want to go back to that kind of ride again on the wide 15s.

Besides, the cost of new 33x__R15 tires and rims is going to be way more than just 285/75R16s stuffed onto the factory steels.
And about the same as premium 255/85R16 tires.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

15*10 rims for 35*12.5 back in the day. If you wanted then taller then you could get away with 8".
Sponsored