Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@JimmyDean After your good break down of suspensions the other day I’m anxious to hear what you think.
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@JimmyDean After your good break down of suspensions the other day I’m anxious to hear what you think.
I think Ford knocked it out of the park on everything except transmissions and subscriptions.

Thehime

Black Diamond
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Branco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are correct. I have to tow and I bought a new Ranger to hold me over until the 2nd year Bronco's are out. I fully expected it to have at least 5000lb towing capacity, especially since the frame will be shared with the new Ranger. I really expected the 2dr would be minimum 5000 and the 4dr 6500(min).
Ford specs say 3500lb. I'm truely shocked Ford ignored the towing capacity. The new defender is 8000 and there's a slew of SUV's with well over 5000.
Now I have to rethink my plans and decide whether to go for the Defender or give into the wife and get a not so offroad worthy SUV.
I would hold out a little longer until towing is confirmed. I know it says 3500lbs max towing but the towing specs still say TBD.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Cast Iron front diff, aren't most IFS aluminum?

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JRB45833

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You are correct. I have to tow and I bought a new Ranger to hold me over until the 2nd year Bronco's are out. I fully expected it to have at least 5000lb towing capacity, especially since the frame will be shared with the new Ranger. I really expected the 2dr would be minimum 5000 and the 4dr 6500(min).
Ford specs say 3500lb. I'm truely shocked Ford ignored the towing capacity. The new defender is 8000 and there's a slew of SUV's with well over 5000.
Now I have to rethink my plans and decide whether to go for the Defender or give into the wife and get a not so offroad worthy SUV.
Clearly Ford's focus was on off-road capability and handling, not towing. Also, short wheelbase vehicles generally suck for towing. If you want/need to tow heavier loads you're better off just buying a truck.

Myself and others are bummed about not being able to get the manual transmission with the 2.7L. However, if you look at the max torque spec for the manual transmission it's only rated to 406ft-lbs. The 2.7L is purported to have 400ft-lbs. so it would be a weak point as far as durability and reliability go with the bigger engine. Better to have people bummed they can't get a feature at the start than totally pissed when their transmission grenades the first time they do some serious off-roading with it.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bolts under the front A arms are what worry me the most. That is a really bad spot For bolts to hang down like that.
I don’t like the rear brake line hugging the diff cover, that means it has to be bent out of the way every time the cover is removed.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your barking up the wrong tree if your comparing this to a defender. Have you looked at one? It’s unibody and has a floor low enough to mistake for a handicap accessible vehicle.

The defender has gone 100% unibody minivan chassis this generation. The entire brand is about as off-road focused as a Honda Passport now.

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t like the rear brake line hugging the diff cover, that means it has to be bent out of the way every time the cover is removed.
no if you just slide it out downwards, like:
Ford Bronco Images: 2021 Bronco Chassis, Undercarriage, Suspension, Transmission, Driveshaft, Differential, & More 1594747849510

Sponsored

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
However, if you look at the max torque spec for the manual transmission it's only rated to 406ft-lbs. The 2.7L is purported to have 400ft-lbs. so it would be a weak point as far as durability and reliability go with the bigger engine. Better to have people bummed they can't get a feature at the start than totally pissed when their transmission grenades the first time they do some serious off-roading with it.
That's not exactly how that works- you'll normally see something like a 3rd-party transmission rated at the max output of whatever engine they've sold it to a manufacturer for. If it's rated at 406, there's probably an engine it's used with that's factory rated at 406 and it's been tested to ensure it will survive normal use at 406. When you add power and crater a part, they point to that number and tell you to pound sand. The parts rarely get rated for more than they're being used for, except maybe in the case of general use parts.

topher3134

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Wherever the Army takes me, middle east right now
Vehicle(s)
2019 F250 Superduty FX4, 2012 F150 FX4, 2007 Wrangler unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So the rear axle on the higher end models are the same ones the rubicon has? I wonder how we can switch this out to a Dana 60 and some sort of equivalent up front...not that there is anything wrong with a dana44...