First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma; 1986 4Runner; 1930 Model A
Your Bronco Model
Base
July 2020 reservation, I am waiting on a 2 door BB mansquatch(although I have my doubts it will be allowed below BD trim) I had the opportunity to test drive 2 different Broncos for half a day each. The fit finish and trim have been done to death; they are fully formed consumer ready in fit and finish. I drive a 2019 Taco TRD Off Road and my wife has a 2016 4Runner SR5. This will be my comparison between those Toyota’s and the Bronco; The first was a 4 door soft top 2.7 outer banks Followed by a 2.3 mt 2 door bad lands. The 4 door with 2.7 felt Very much like my wife’s 4Runner in size and comfort. Adequate power and room, more advanced creature comforts. Better sound. A very solid competitor for the 4Runner but with noticeably less interior space in the back(full disclosure-I like my wife’s 4Runner a lot and I am not interested in replacing it until the 2023 comes out). Now for what I want; The 2 door 2.3mt is the BOMB! It is fast, nimble, fun. it had 285 70 17 K02s and looked great even without SAS. When I left the dealer after the test run and got into my taco I was so disappointed With my truck. The differences were so apparent. The 2.3 destroys the performance of my taco in every way. Takes the crappy potholes and substandard streets of Denver way better than my TRD. The stereo in my taco is garbage compared to the base system in the bronco(both broncos had 8” screen which I believe is the lower sound system). My take aways from trying both are; 2 door is better, 2.3 is certainly enough power (more than my taco by far); the stick shift is sweet but the auto shifts better than my taco auto(that’s a low bar because the latest taco trans shifts soooo bad) but i would be very happy with the auto in the Bronco, none of the issues that I have with my taco trans In the Bronco auto. Short story is I will be very happy with 2.3mt Bronco and I am reconsidering sas package, I don’t need it, I will be one of the mall crawlers. l am only waiting for 22 B&P so the bugs are worked out and possible option updates; I’ll still probably go mansquatch when it‘s available. In summary; I would not trade my wife's 4Runner for a 4 door Bronco, but I would push my Taco off a cliff for a 2 door MT Bronco.
Sponsored

Chuck_Ruck

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A guy I know traded a TRD Taco for the Ranger Tremor, and said it was a huge upgrade. Now he's super jealous of the Bronco arrivals. I'm excites for my 2dr Manual Badlands. Thanks for stoking the fires!

wheretheheckisjoe

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where’d you find a 2dr 2.3 MT test drive in the Denver area? Would love to give it a shot myself. I drove a 4dr 2.7 at Sill Terhar in Broomfield and had a blast.

bodean

Base
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
76 Mini, 99 4Runner, 07 FJ Cruiser, 16 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Currently have a 16 MT Tacoma and I’ve never had any issues with the power, even pushing GVRW.
You’re review makes me even happier with my choice of the Base Mansqatch.
Keeping the Taco too, just adding to the stable.
Ford Bronco IMHO test drive 2.7 outer banks & 2.3 mt badlands vs taco and 4runner C150F010-BD24-4E66-AE1B-FBA0410B0261

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a 2021 Tacoma TRD Pro with an automatic about a month ago and test drove a four door Wildtrak with the Lux Package today and have similar thoughts.

I absolutely LOVE my Tacoma, especially for the Fox shocks. I felt the Bronco Bilsteins were pretty comparable, but I didn't get to hit any bumps hard or fast so I am unsure how they will soak them up. I was super impressed with the lack of body roll around corners in the Bronco because I expected it to sway like my Wrangler. Also, I giggled like a small child when I jumped on the gas in the Bronco. The 2.7L is more than enough engine for a four door Sasquatch so the two door is going to be an absolute rocket! I think my Tacoma has great power, but nothing like this.

What stood out to me the most was how quiet the Bronco was overall. I even had the soft top down on the Bronco while I was driving. The B&O was perfect to me, but all I care about is that it's loud enough to hear over the wind and road noise on the highway with no top or doors. I have no doubt it's capable of that while remaining crystal clear.

The Tacoma is great because it's bulletproof, but it's never impressed me as much as the Bronco did today.

OP
OP
RumbleOn

RumbleOn

Base
First Name
Gerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma; 1986 4Runner; 1930 Model A
Your Bronco Model
Base
Where’d you find a 2dr 2.3 MT test drive in the Denver area? Would love to give it a shot myself. I drove a 4dr 2.7 at Sill Terhar in Broomfield and had a blast.
Phil Long Ford in Littleton
Sponsored