Sponsored

Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list!

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is a bucket list trail. Like many southern Colorado trails it is not too technically challenging, but the scenery is spectacular! Plenty of old mine ruins to explore. Shelf roads with drop-offs to keep your attention. And scenery that is hard to beat.

Imogene is often done as part of a loop along with Black Bear Pass. We started in Ouray in the morning and took BBP over to Telluride. Spent some time wandering around looking at stores, bought some local bourbon, some t-shirts & stickers, and headed towards the pass.

Access to the pass is from a residential area of town. You'll think you must be heading in the wrong direction.

Here are a few photos to give you an idea of what it looks like and a video I put together. It's a little long at thirteen minutes. I had a hard time cutting out any of the views!

The bottom of Black Bear Pass is in the distance.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! IMG_0407.JPG

The Social Tunnel.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! IMG_0410.JPG

Looking back at the road leading to the pass.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! IMG_0443.JPG

On the summit.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! IMG_0439.JPG

The video:

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 LT Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went and did those mentioned above and others a couple months ago. I recommend going during the week to beat the crowds.

I have a feeling Black Bear will get closed in a couple years since nearly every year there is some fatality on it. The most recent rollover (no deaths) is a good example of what could go wrong.

It was good to do the trail before this potentially happens.

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great trail! Not too technical but amazing for the family. Glad I had hill decent control. The boss in the passenger seat was puckered up most of the time with her eyes closed. Kids (and dad) had a blast.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! 1FE6E71B-2F52-48C9-BC16-BDC1049D896F
What a great picture!

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Beautiful....

Backing up on a shelf like that can test the nerves

Sponsored

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended. Surrounding towns are great to visit, and probably top 3 trials I have done in terms of the rewarding views. Your Bronco will thank you.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow beautiful great pics ! I sure wouldnt want to be a passenger on those trails no sir!

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Stunning scenery. Hate to admit but in my old age, i have become afraid of heights for some reason. Would have never given it a thought in my younger years but those narrow mountain roads would be too much for me now.

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the trail that got me into Jeeping a few years ago. I did some easier trails this August because friends were with us and I couldn't convince him to do Imogene. The rental guy told me they recently upgraded imogene from intermediate to expert (or one level up from what it had been forever) and that people were annoyed about that. Did you hear about or see any differences from past years? That decent down into telluride got me nervous a few times ... when we had to pass someone.

We did yankee boy again this year and while not nearly as difficult, it has some gorgeous views once up in the basin. I still want to try some of those other trails off the million dollar highway next time I'm back (maybe with the Bronco???)

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That was a really cool video. Definitely want to take that trail in the Bronco!

On another note what was up with those people hanging onto the side of the Jeep on the trail? Seems like a smart idea..... lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stunning scenery. Hate to admit but in my old age, i have become afraid of heights for some reason. Would have never given it a thought in my younger years but those narrow mountain roads would be too much for me now.
It might not bother you as much as you think. My wife doesn't like heights and was not looking forward to Black Bear. Once she got on it though it didn't seem as bad to her as she expected.

BroncoActual

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, highly recommend any of the trails in CO. Went out there with the Raptor last month and hope to get back out there with the Bronco. Hit up Medano, Engineer, California, Corkscrew, Imogene, Ophir, Cinnamon

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the trail that got me into Jeeping a few years ago. I did some easier trails this August because friends were with us and I couldn't convince him to do Imogene. The rental guy told me they recently upgraded imogene from intermediate to expert (or one level up from what it had been forever) and that people were annoyed about that. Did you hear about or see any differences from past years? That decent down into telluride got me nervous a few times ... when we had to pass someone.

We did yankee boy again this year and while not nearly as difficult, it has some gorgeous views once up in the basin. I still want to try some of those other trails off the million dollar highway next time I'm back (maybe with the Bronco???)
Trail ratings are interesting. There is nothing challenging in terms of obstacles on Imogene. It shouldn't be rated very high based on technical areas. I guess it is rated high because of the narrow shelf roads. You need to be able to back up down a shelf road if you come across someone going the other way.

And yes! Can't wait to get the Bronco out there!

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, highly recommend any of the trails in CO. Went out there with the Raptor last month and hope to get back out there with the Bronco. Hit up Medano, Engineer, California, Corkscrew, Imogene, Ophir, Cinnamon

Beautiful pics. I recognize many of those places.

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

EAADCCEF-C9B1-44DF-BB02-A475D72CF054.jpeg
E111E434-6397-4821-BD49-9C9497BEEF66.jpeg
F601C15D-00B7-4316-8DF8-00F7F1FD8CFF.jpeg
7E84DB70-1D77-4FAD-90A4-4A2EAA1EF203.jpeg
Imogene Pass is definitely not hard. I recommend doing the loop; Black Bear Pass to Telluride, enjoy the rest of the day and spend the night in that quaint town. Then take Imogene Pass back out the next day and explore the town of Ouray the rest of the day.
Sponsored

Last edited: