Sponsored

Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list!

mrock

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F250 Lariat; 2016 RAM; 2022 Black Diamond SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I live in Ridgway- 10 minutes from Ouray and 40 minutes from Telluride. The 4WD trails in the area are unlimited. This is the kind area where you utilize a Sasquatch, not a mall crawler. If you want to get your heart pumping, check the YouTube videos of the October 2020 Jeep accident on Black Bear Pass.

Appalachia_Ewok

Base
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 PT Cruiser, '62 DeVille, '96 XJ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Definitely a dream of mine. Been trying to get a capable vehicle to get out there. Not just capable on the trail, I have access to a decent XJ, but gotta make the 25+ hour drive too. Not sure if I can handle topping out at 65 the whole way and getting 10mpg, assuming nothing breaks on the 25 year old vehicle.

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How does traffic work on this? Is it one way only? A lollipop hike? (Out, turnaround at the end, and come back the same way?). A loop?

I gotta say, that’s a no-way for me. Nope. I’m too partial to this earthly sphere. Someone else can be the daredevil.

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Black Bear Pass is one way towards Telluride. Imogene is two way. Downhill traffic has to yield to uphill traffic (within reason, and common sense). Some of the tour operators will flout this rule, but if you feel uncomfortable backing up when you have the right of way, make them back up. Other than that, everyone is extremely friendly, and helpful. The trail is not very difficult, but is rated as a moderate/difficult trail because the consequences from a simple mistake can be very damaging.

How does traffic work on this? Is it one way only? A lollipop hike? (Out, turnaround at the end, and come back the same way?). A loop?

I gotta say, that’s a no-way for me. Nope. I’m too partial to this earthly sphere. Someone else can be the daredevil.

Sponsored
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having lived in Colorado for part of my twenties I know what I am missing. I envy you all who live near all that natural beauty! We have been considering spending part of the year there.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is the trail that got me into Jeeping a few years ago. I did some easier trails this August because friends were with us and I couldn't convince him to do Imogene. The rental guy told me they recently upgraded imogene from intermediate to expert (or one level up from what it had been forever) and that people were annoyed about that. Did you hear about or see any differences from past years? That decent down into telluride got me nervous a few times ... when we had to pass someone.

We did yankee boy again this year and while not nearly as difficult, it has some gorgeous views once up in the basin. I still want to try some of those other trails off the million dollar highway next time I'm back (maybe with the Bronco???)
Many trails are moving up the difficulty scale. ATV's, UTV's and high performance 4x4's are tearing them up for sport. Spinning tires needlessly, creating more vertical shelf by removing dirt in the landings.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Absolutly beautiful scenery love it, i watched over half the video and it looks like my maillady could do that trail in her 1980 honda civic.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome video! What Jeep is that? Lockers? Did you have to use them ever?

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutly beautiful scenery love it, i watched over half the video and it looks like my maillady could do that trail in her 1980 honda civic.
? Not a challenging one but a must-do.

Sponsored
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Awesome video! What Jeep is that? Lockers? Did you have to use them ever?
2015 JKU. 3" Teraflex lift and 35" Nitto Traill Grapplers. Open differentials.

There are times that I wish I had lockers. I've slipped sideways when losing traction without lockers. I did make it up the wall at Poughkeepsie twice to the surprise of the Jeepers watching. You can check out my youtube channel to see the Poughkeepsie vids. Don't expect anything too fancy - I'm not a professional when it comes to making videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCidydYD7D8XmKuZnVbr6ghQ/videos

We are going to Moab in the spring and I plan to put in at least a rear locker if not a front before we go. Gonna put in better gears as well. Part of me hates to spend the money on it since I will be replacing it when my Bronco is ready. At least it goes to one of my sons.

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2015 JKU. 3" Teraflex lift and 35" Nitto Traill Grapplers. Open differentials.

There are times that I wish I had lockers. I've slipped sideways when losing traction without lockers. I did make it up the wall at Poughkeepsie twice to the surprise of the Jeepers watching. You can check out my youtube channel to see the Poughkeepsie vids. Don't expect anything too fancy - I'm not a professional when it comes to making videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCidydYD7D8XmKuZnVbr6ghQ/videos

We are going to Moab in the spring and I plan to put in at least a rear locker if not a front before we go. Gonna put in better gears as well. Part of me hates to spend the money on it since I will be replacing it when my Bronco is ready. At least it goes to one of my sons.
That's awesome. So don't be afraid to do the Black Diamond with just rear lockers versus the Badlands with the front and swaybar disconnect.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like to add drive the TransAmerica trail if you can....
Recently drove it Boston to Vegas and back...hit Imogene and Black Bear on the way....highly recommend.

Ford Bronco Imogene Pass - Telluride to Ouray - Put this one on your list! 1604346769059

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would like to add drive the TransAmerica trail if you can....
Recently drove it Boston to Vegas and back...hit Imogene and Black Bear on the way....highly recommend.

1604346769059.png
That's fantastic! We looked at that and the Continental Divide route. Would love to do either.

We ended up buying a little camper. Gonna go to places like Moab and setup for a week or two to explore.

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's fantastic! We looked at that and the Continental Divide route. Would love to do either.

We ended up buying a little camper. Gonna go to places like Moab and setup for a week or two to explore.
I would suggest you you download the ioverlander app.... tons of great places to camps many of them free.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samchristiansen.ioverlander.droid&hl=en_US&gl=US

And the GAIA app for migrating in
the TAT points and other offroad trails
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.trailbehind.android.gaiagps.pro&hl=en_US&gl=US

And the TAT waypoints to migrate into GAIA search around this site and you can purchase the TAT waypoints pretty cheap
http://www.gpskevinadventurerides.com/home/self-guided-rides

Have fun
Sponsored