Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The video on Youtube from awhile back shows that the Bronco's traction control doesn't work well at all. If you plan on going off road you need a rear locker AND winch minimum. The front locker will keep you from needing to winch so much. If it's a mall crawler then you don't need either
The Bronco traction control doesn't work well because the Bronco can't be purchased with traction control. In the video, he turns on Trail Control in the Bronco thinking it is a comparable to the 4Runner Atrac system. Atrac is a 4 wheel traction control system while Trail Control is just a slow speed cruise control system. The Bronco is still running with open diffs.

Instead, Ford offers lockers with the Bronco. Depending on your usage, the Atrac may be fine or even a better choice, but front and rear lockers is the most capable set up.
Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not open diffs. He says in the comments that the Jeep has traction control. Watching the video, there are several instances where the traction control kicks in and he likely wouldn't have made it without that.
Brake Lock Different (“traction control” by braking the spinning tire) is not a locker. That Jeep is a Sport, it has no factory lockers available. Jeep gets away with it because the BLD works well and it has good articulation from the factory.
The other posted video shows that the Bronco system struggles with open differentials. I’m not sure if it’s a programming issue or what.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

i am going to stick with the base model. i do not want 35" tires or the black wheels of the sasquach package, or the $5000 price increase along with the $1600 increase ion price for the automatic transmission, $6600+ price increase from the base. perhaps the addition of a limited slip differential would be an upgrade which is both economical and functional for the snow drivers, and non rock crawling off roaders.

johndeerefarmer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 F150, '20 F350 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Bronco traction control doesn't work well because the Bronco can't be purchased with traction control. In the video, he turns on Trail Control in the Bronco thinking it is a comparable to the 4Runner Atrac system. Atrac is a 4 wheel traction control system while Trail Control is just a slow speed cruise control system. The Bronco is still running with open diffs.

Instead, Ford offers lockers with the Bronco. Depending on your usage, the Atrac may be fine or even a better choice, but front and rear lockers is the most capable set up.
The Bronco has traction control and Brake locking. He didn't turn on Trail Control. If you watch the video you will see the opposite tire try to gain traction but it can't

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The Bronco has traction control and Brake locking. He didn't turn on Trail Control. If you watch the video you will see the opposite tire try to gain traction but it can't
I hadn't seen that vid when I posted my original comment.
Color me surprised. I assumed (we all know what that means) the Bronco would have a 'BLD' system comparable to the 4Runner and Wrangler. That should have been an easy hill without lockers - as shown by the 4Runners performance.
It's a bit disappointing tbh. It's a well refined technology that should be standard on any dedicated off road vehicle.
From that evidence, yes, you'll absolutely want lockers if your planning on taking your Bronco on the trails.

Sponsored

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stand corrected, but I suspect the Bronco's traction control is designed to solve an on-road problem since it doesn't put 100% of the power to the wheel with traction. This can be an advantage on the street with snow and ice as it allows you to spin one of the tires when both have really poor traction vs coming to a dead stop with neither wheel turning. Regardless, for steep, slippery conditions in the Bronco, you'll want lockers since the traction control won't be enough.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm going controversial here 😱

Lockers as a piece of equipment are fantastic.
The actual need for them is way overrated.
One of the the best examples of this statement out there:
This is a stone stock 2012 Wrangler Sport with open diff's....

...and another thing to consider, locked differentials will let you push your drive train beyond the braking point, while BLD type systems will stop within the limits of the vehicle. It changes your thinking from 'can I make this?' to 'should I really try?'
Yep people go off-roading with open diffs all the time. Typically the driver will need to pay more attention to picking a line, and use more momentum in certain situations.

It's the driver not the components that will ultimately determine who goes off-road or not. Some people will off-road in a base, and some people will never off-road in a loaded Sas. Depends what the owner is up for.

A couple open-diff off-road video clips below:

lindertw

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm with you OP, I'd love to have the option to add a rear locker for $495 like you can on the BB. At present, adding SAS package to the Base (2dr, 2.3L) forces you to add auto trans. If manual SAS is available for MY22, then it's a consideration for sure...

Ford Bronco Importance of Lockers comparo.JPG

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ends up being over 7k or 8k if you were getting a manual .... plus you would lose the manual.
Sponsored