Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My local dealership has had two demo units for the last few weeks. One is a Cyber Orange Badlands with the 2.3L and manual transmission, non-SAS. The other is a Rapid Red Wildtrak with 2.7L. Below are my impressions focused on drivability and livability. Mine will be a daily driver and I'll log a lot of miles on one. I wanted to evaluate what it is like to live with one.

Badlands - I drove this one first on Thursday. For a short guy, it was fairly easy to get in and out. Similar to my former lifted FJCruiser with 33s. The 2.3L is a solid engine with respectable power. I thought it got up to highway speeds fairly quickly without any drama. The manual transmission is one of the better modern transmissions I've driven in quite some time. Throws are relatively short and shifting is precise. The clutch is fairly light but not too light. Engagement is at a predictable point about mid-way in the travel. Overall good clutch feel. I was chatting with the sales guy and not really thinking about shifting, which is a good sign given I'd only been driving for 5-10 minutes. First gear is low (not the crawler gear), so you won't stay in it too long. If you are rolling any at all, I'd go directly to 2nd and skip 1st. At 60-65, I was cruising in 5th gear which seemed a good spot. I didn't shift to 6th but my guess is that you'd only do that on flat cruising at that speed.

The soft top was fairly quiet at speed. Some wind noise at 60-65 but just air rushing past the top; no whistling. Ambient noise does intrude a bit when you are next to a loud vehicle. Easy to carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds without straining to hear or shouting.

Wildtrak - The model our dealer has is an odd duck. Soft top as well as mis-matched front and back upholstery. My guess is that it will go back to Ford when it's service is done. My wife and I stopped by just to climb in/out to gage whether steps would be required for both of us. The sales guy asked about a test drive (which I couldn't pass up), and he came back with a tag and keys, and said to bring it back by closing time (30 minutes only). I climbed in not using the step and then using the installed running board. It is not a lot taller than the non-SAS Badlands, but it was noticeable. I was able to get in, but as I get older or if my back is acting up, having a step would help. The wife was able to get in without, but using the running board was more comfortable for her.

The 2.7L is a good engine. The torque is noticeably higher than the 2.3L. Both are good engines, but this is the engine that calls to me. Easily come up to highway speeds with no drama, but if you get on it hard you can make the traction control light up. The transmission shifted fairly well. At low speeds (~35 mph) and light throttle, there was a little variability in thrust / speed. It is hard to describe but it is probably an engine thing. It was slight and a non-car person would probably never notice.

The soft top was open when we picked it up. I drove some at highway speeds with it open and the wind coming in wasn't too bad. My wife was about done with it though. I stopped and decided to close things up. With no instruction, it was super simple and only required me to stand up in driver's spot reaching back for the first support (only front was open). Pull it forward and close the two latches. It helped to grab the center to pull it down a bit which made closing the latch easier.
I did stop by a local high school parking lot to try and and show the wife the 360 cameras. The birds eye view is very sweet. I first encountered it in a buddy's BMW X5 and thought it was awesome. My wife was impressed and I could see the gears turning. She even opened her door to check if the image on the screen matched where we were actually parked.

Overall impressions...love them both. You can't go wrong with either engine. The manual is really good, so if that is what you want don't feel like you are giving up something when you go 2.3L. That said, I'll get the big engine because that is what I want and I love the extra torque. I'll hold out for the hard top. Soft top is nice for a soft top but I really don't want one. Still having dark hair for an old guy, the sun beating down feels like your brain is cooking. I've kind of wanted the High Package with the extra cameras, but had ordered a BD because my wife wasn't keen on the orange accents in the Badlands. After the drive, she said she's willing to live with a bit of orange for the front sensors and bird's eye camera view. Based on that, I'm going to be updating my order to a non-SAS Badlands with High Package. I'll be replacing the grab handles and front door nets at my first opportunity.

Now I just need to get a VIN number...
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I drove my dealer's Badlands 4-door 2.3L automatic, I was hoping the 10-speed had some magic in it and wouldn't leave the engine outside of its powerband when needed, like every automatic does. Yet as all automatics, it leaves the engine flat on it's feet, but the turbo does quickly get into the engine's power band and the Bronco moves off well. But there still is that moment of deadness that manual transmissions, when operated well, never have.

I'd prefer to have the stronger engine in the Bronco, who wouldn't, but the autotrans just kills it for me (based on my drive in the 2.3L). My dealer is getting a second mannequin, which I think will have the 2.7L. I'll drive it too, just to get a frame of reference. In my book, being able to precisely control the transmission overarches maximum power considerations.

I found the rest of the Bronco is spot-on. Great steering, good brakes (a bit too long pedal travel), good sightlines, excellent suspension. The interior has satisfactory ergonomics and is very comfortable from the driver's seat. I'm still on board to get one, but it will come down to a test drive of my order when it arrives.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Congrats on the test drives... and convincing the wife to go for the upgrades.

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When I drove my dealer's Badlands 4-door 2.3L automatic, I was hoping the 10-speed had some magic in it and wouldn't leave the engine outside of its powerband when needed, like every automatic does. Yet as all automatics, it leaves the engine flat on it's feet, but the turbo does quickly get into the engine's power band and the Bronco moves off well. But there still is that moment of deadness that manual transmissions, when operated well, never have.

I'd prefer to have the stronger engine in the Bronco, who wouldn't, but the autotrans just kills it for me (based on my drive in the 2.3L). My dealer is getting a second mannequin, which I think will have the 2.7L. I'll drive it too, just to get a frame of reference. In my book, being able to precisely control the transmission overarches maximum power considerations.

I found the rest of the Bronco is spot-on. Great steering, good brakes (a bit too long pedal travel), good sightlines, excellent suspension. The interior has satisfactory ergonomics and is very comfortable from the driver's seat. I'm still on board to get one, but it will come down to a test drive of my order when it arrives.
I'm the only one who drives a manual in my house, so the 7-spd is not an option. I can understand why folks are drawn to it. I could see how the auto saps some of the snappiness of the smaller engine.

One observation I forgot...turning radius. Holy cow, it has a good turning radius for a decent size vehicle.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My local dealership has had two demo units for the last few weeks. One is a Cyber Orange Badlands with the 2.3L and manual transmission, non-SAS. The other is a Rapid Red Wildtrak with 2.7L. Below are my impressions focused on drivability and livability. Mine will be a daily driver and I'll log a lot of miles on one. I wanted to evaluate what it is like to live with one.

Badlands - I drove this one first on Thursday. For a short guy, it was fairly easy to get in and out. Similar to my former lifted FJCruiser with 33s. The 2.3L is a solid engine with respectable power. I thought it got up to highway speeds fairly quickly without any drama. The manual transmission is one of the better modern transmissions I've driven in quite some time. Throws are relatively short and shifting is precise. The clutch is fairly light but not too light. Engagement is at a predictable point about mid-way in the travel. Overall good clutch feel. I was chatting with the sales guy and not really thinking about shifting, which is a good sign given I'd only been driving for 5-10 minutes. First gear is low (not the crawler gear), so you won't stay in it too long. If you are rolling any at all, I'd go directly to 2nd and skip 1st. At 60-65, I was cruising in 5th gear which seemed a good spot. I didn't shift to 6th but my guess is that you'd only do that on flat cruising at that speed.

The soft top was fairly quiet at speed. Some wind noise at 60-65 but just air rushing past the top; no whistling. Ambient noise does intrude a bit when you are next to a loud vehicle. Easy to carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds without straining to hear or shouting.

Wildtrak - The model our dealer has is an odd duck. Soft top as well as mis-matched front and back upholstery. My guess is that it will go back to Ford when it's service is done. My wife and I stopped by just to climb in/out to gage whether steps would be required for both of us. The sales guy asked about a test drive (which I couldn't pass up), and he came back with a tag and keys, and said to bring it back by closing time (30 minutes only). I climbed in not using the step and then using the installed running board. It is not a lot taller than the non-SAS Badlands, but it was noticeable. I was able to get in, but as I get older or if my back is acting up, having a step would help. The wife was able to get in without, but using the running board was more comfortable for her.

The 2.7L is a good engine. The torque is noticeably higher than the 2.3L. Both are good engines, but this is the engine that calls to me. Easily come up to highway speeds with no drama, but if you get on it hard you can make the traction control light up. The transmission shifted fairly well. At low speeds (~35 mph) and light throttle, there was a little variability in thrust / speed. It is hard to describe but it is probably an engine thing. It was slight and a non-car person would probably never notice.

The soft top was open when we picked it up. I drove some at highway speeds with it open and the wind coming in wasn't too bad. My wife was about done with it though. I stopped and decided to close things up. With no instruction, it was super simple and only required me to stand up in driver's spot reaching back for the first support (only front was open). Pull it forward and close the two latches. It helped to grab the center to pull it down a bit which made closing the latch easier.
I did stop by a local high school parking lot to try and and show the wife the 360 cameras. The birds eye view is very sweet. I first encountered it in a buddy's BMW X5 and thought it was awesome. My wife was impressed and I could see the gears turning. She even opened her door to check if the image on the screen matched where we were actually parked.

Overall impressions...love them both. You can't go wrong with either engine. The manual is really good, so if that is what you want don't feel like you are giving up something when you go 2.3L. That said, I'll get the big engine because that is what I want and I love the extra torque. I'll hold out for the hard top. Soft top is nice for a soft top but I really don't want one. Still having dark hair for an old guy, the sun beating down feels like your brain is cooking. I've kind of wanted the High Package with the extra cameras, but had ordered a BD because my wife wasn't keen on the orange accents in the Badlands. After the drive, she said she's willing to live with a bit of orange for the front sensors and bird's eye camera view. Based on that, I'm going to be updating my order to a non-SAS Badlands with High Package. I'll be replacing the grab handles and front door nets at my first opportunity.

Now I just need to get a VIN number...
Don’t sweat the stitching, It almost caused me to go BD, but after having mine for a few weeks, it is actually kind of nice (not nearly as noticeable as I imagined).

OP
OP
NC_Pinz

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Don’t sweat the stitching, It almost caused me to go BD, but after having mine for a few weeks, it is actually kind of nice (not nearly as noticeable as I imagined).
I figured that the stitching would just blend in. My Tacoma Pro has red stitching on black leather and I never notice it.
Sponsored