Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just hopefully less flippy and murdery
Actually not the car's fault. A taller brick on 32"+ tires will probably be tippier when a tire lets go. Explorer wasn't any worse than any other comparable SUV of its day.

Ford specced a stupid low tire pressure for a heavy SUV to gain a softer ride (25psi) Firestone had bad tires (dad had two sets slip belts on his '94 Explorer totally ignoring Ford's stupid tire pressure and running 35psi where he thought it should be) He got sick of them and switched to Goodyear right before the recall happened.

Couple those two things with yuppies unfamilar with a truck that mash the brake pedal when a tire lets go and it is barrel rolls for everybody.

SUV's were really gaining popularity when the Firestone thing went down as family vehicles so there were a lot of new truck drivers in them too.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1976 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Unless your kids are infants or toddlers, a 2-door is plenty truck. I’m married with two kids. Not sure how a less-expensive vehicle is “luxury money” over the higher-priced 4-door, but I suck at math.

I grew up hunting and and daily driving/riding 2-door SUVs until 4-doors became the norm in the mid-90s. I later had a 2-door Wrangler I got rid of when I had babies, but not because of inconvenience, but rather safety in a possible crash. All our cars were two-door until I was 12 (1984) and my mom got a full-size Ford van. My dad still drove 2-door vehicles until the late 90s.

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ah, yes. The Explorer. Or the 4-door Bronco II as it really was.

Drunken Wisdom (END)

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I see a Bronco... End of story...

But I guess if you never owned a Bronco, well you wouldn't know. Will it live up to the name? That remains to be seen.

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maybe it’s 4-door folks looking down their noses at those of us who will use a 2-door as our daily/only driver, not a “toy.” Or who can make do (and prefer) a Bronco that doesn’t cost $50k.

I am laughing at the notion that someone paying $50k for a vehicle thinks someone buying a 2-door Base for $28k is uppity.

Sponsored

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

NOTHING...absolutely nothing!

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This
Ford Bronco In your mind, Bronco compares to what? 2020-Suzuki-Jimny-3

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

funny, all my cars were 2 door stick shift up to my current 4 door auto Tacoma and I'll never go back to 2 doors unless I win the lottery and can afford something fast and flat from Italy or Sweden. I'm done with flip forward seats and all that jazz, but to each their own. I never even looked at the B&P for the 2door, just not my thing anymore. It'll be enough having to adjust to smaller cargo area (keeping the Taco though, it's 18 this year and I'll keep it until it dies, so cheap to maintain and register/insure).

Now for the original question in the thread, it compares to other cool off road vehicles like the Wrangler I would have bought if it wasn't for Covid or all the old Bronco/Range/Land rover/Toyota off roaders from old TV shows and movies (incidentally I called all those things "jeeps" as a kid in Germany).
Bronco looks cool and to me it suddenly makes the Wrangler look a bit outdated in some way (still love them, but you know my pick) and all the new *rovers look like any other boring SUV to me. 4Runner is ok, but dated. Bronco excites me even more than the Wrangler and doesn't have any of the things I really did not like (but was willing to accept) on the Rubicon I was gonna get. Either look like fun and excitement and possible adventures and even going to Safeway will be way more fun than ever before.

Luckily there are many choices for everyone :-D

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it looks like an International Scout, but in today's world it is comparable to a 4Runner or Wrangler.

RiverRat001

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Fusion, 18 Grand Caravan, 78 F250, 81 CB750F
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To me, the bronco feels like a 4-runner that was injected with a double dose of fun

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
When I look at the two door I see its very limited amount of use. Yes its cool, and I will get one but as a toy not an actual people or goods mover. If your single, don't have kids, or retired the possibilities are greater for the two door option. Regular life needs something more practical to cover more bases. Most folks don't have the luxury money it takes to own the two door. The 4 door will do everything the two door can and way more. There are some negligible areas that the two door will excel at, but be honest, how many will utilize it? Two door definitely has the cool factor by an edge but only a small percentage buy it just for that reason. My 4 door will be what my kids grow up driving and what we take hunting, fishing, and overlanding. When I can afford another two door it will be just for fun.
"regular life" (aka boring) :)

MississippiMule

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Every vehicle I’ve had since 1995 has had four doors except a Jeep Wrangler 2-door. Now that my kids are 11 and 13 and have long been fully ambulatory and not in child seats, I cannot WAIT to return to a 2-door. I, too, thought for a long time I’d never want to go back to a four-door. Until everyone had one.

If I were a single parent, maybe I’d see it differently. My wife drives a three-row, four-door vehicle. Popping the passenger seat forward in the new Bronco when I’m driving kids or full family won’t be a big deal. The 2-door Bronco will have more legroom up front and in the back than my 4Runner does. So, main difference is mild inconvenience re: doors and limited way-back space. My way-back stays full of CRAP currently. If we need to carry a bunch of luggage and the whole family, we will take the wife’s car.

When I was a kid riding in my parents’ COOL AS SHIT two-door cars such as a Bronco and a CJ-7, it never ONCE crossed my mind “oh, I hate climbing in like this.” What did cross my mind at all times was “Look at those lame sedans and wagons, and look how cool my parents are, and look how I still have a seat.”

We are a needier society now, with lost perspective of what is a “necessity.” Giant McMansions, giant loaded luxury “SUVs.” I was in this mindset some years back when I wished Jeep would make a 4-door Wrangler. Then they did, and I thought it looked like shit, and realized the long wheel base sucks a huge amount of the inherent Jeep fun factor out.

The 4-door Bronco looks WAY better, and I like it, I just don’t get the whole “necessity” argument.
Sponsored

Last edited: