Sponsored

Increase towing capacity with upgrades to suspension?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got a tow package on my bronco pretty much exclusively for bike racks/snow sport racks. It seems to me that what makes a good off-roading vehicle vs what makes a good towing vehicle are at odds with each other. I would rather get an old truck for towing than take away from the Broncos capabilities by trying to force it to do something it wasn’t designed for.
Yup this is exactly what a separate max tow package is for. Those who would prefer a bad-ass crawler or baja racer gets one, and those who need their Bronco to tow a bit more instead pay for it, both in their pocketbook and possibly (but not definitely) in suspension softness and travel.

Both sets of people win.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just checked and Ranger is considerably longer, wheelbase, than both the 2-door and 4-door Bronco.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I realize you want really bad to be right, but quoting me doesn't help. I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I brought up the wheelbase as being a possible issue because I think everyone understands many of the other issues. You said we need to compare parts with the Ranger. I was just offering that there is more to it than the parts. You then quote me as if I'm disagreeing with you so you have to clarify my statements. You don't. As someone that has considerable experience with the mechanics of vehicles, quoting me, then yourself as to prove a point, doesn't.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know of any upgrades to suspension to increase towing capacity? After all this 2.7 and ten speed are virtually the same as the F-150. I know it’s an off-road suspension that limits towing but 3500 lbs ain’t nothing.
The tow rating is based on a standardized test. The tow rating has to align with certain weights: 1,000; 2,000, 3,500; 5,000; 7,700; 10,000; etc. for the trailer weight. The tongue weight has to be 10% of the trailer weight. There is also a GCWR (combined vehicle and trailer weight). There is an established passenger weight (150 lbs per passenger). There is a handling requirement/component (understeer, trailer sway); braking requirement (stability, stopping distance, parking brake); there is a GVWR/GAWR/tongue-weight component.

If two vehicles are similar (think 2D and 4D), one rating is applied to both (the lower of the two), unless they are both tested independently for two separate ratings. If you are testing the "Bronco", both the 2D and 4D will have the same tow rating, unless tested separately for that reason. You aren't going to get a 5,000 lbs tow rating unless you meet all of the requirements for a 5,000 lbs rating, so the braking, tongue weight, handling, etc. all have to meet that higher (5,000 rating) testing standard.

That being said, the Bronco, both 2D and 4D has a 3,500 lbs rating because the Bronco passed the standard test for the 3,500 rating only. It's not based solely on the suspension. It is based on braking and handling too, and there are several factors that impact that test. My guess is that's the test Ford could get passed in the time frame and 2022 model year Broncos will be tested for the higher rating, probably only the 4D. If it can't meet the rating for 5,000 lbs, it'll be 3,500 lbs because that's the next lowest test threshold.

The manufacturer is bound by the standardized test. The vehicle is rated at what test it has passed. You can never increase the tow rating; however, you can change components to make it safer for towing.

Last edited:

Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wheelbase is a factor...but the ratio of rear overhang to wheelbase is just as (if not more) important.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The tow rating is based on a standardized test. The tow rating has to align with certain weights: 1,000; 2,000, 3,500; 5,000; 7,700; 10,000; etc. for the trailer weight. The tongue weight has to be 10% of the trailer weight. There is also a GCWR (combined vehicle and trailer weight). There is an established passenger weight (150 lbs per passenger). There is a handling requirement/component (understeer, trailer sway); braking requirement (stability, stopping distance, parking brake); there is a GVWR/GAWR/tongue-weight component.

If two vehicles are similar (think 2D and 4D), one rating is applied to both (the lower of the two), unless they are both tested independently for two separate ratings. If you are testing the "Bronco", both the 2D and 4D will have the same tow rating, unless tested separately for that reason. You aren't going to get a 5,000 lbs tow rating unless you meet all of the requirements for a 5,000 lbs rating, so the braking, tongue weight, handling, etc. all have to meet that higher (5,000 rating) testing standard.

That being said, the Bronco, both 2D and 4D has a 3,500 lbs rating because the Bronco passed the standard test for the 3,500 rating only. It's not based solely on the suspension. It is based on braking and handling too, and there are several factors that impact that test. My guess is that's the test Ford could get passed in the time frame and 2022 model year Broncos will be tested for the higher rating, probably only the 4D. If it can't meet the rating for 5,000 lbs, it'll be 3,500 lbs because that's the next lowest test threshold.

The manufacturer is bound by the standardized test. The vehicle is rated at what test it has passed. You can never increase the tow rating; however, you can change components to make it safer for towing.
SAE J2807 just crying in the corner whenever these threads pop up.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is only a point not that you can or can't do something. No matter what you do to the suspension or upgrades added that will not change the values of GVWR or GVCR on the "sticker" that is applied at the factory. You can not get another sticker or rating.
This is only a point not that you can or can't do something. No matter what you do to the suspension or upgrades added that will not change the values of GVWR or GVCR on the "sticker" that is applied at the factory. You can not get another sticker or rating.
If you properly equip the vehicle and tow in a safe and prudent manner, why does it matter? I can find no legal issue with GVWR. It comes up in all sorts of regulations, but unrelated to what you tow or load in a non-commercial vehicle. More around what class a vehicle is, bumper requirements, lights etc. I am not familiar with every state or every law, but would like to know what the actual issue is (other than renting a u-haul trailer, that I have seen be an issue at times).

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's about the gross combined weight rating through the manufacturer, what it is certified to tow, whether the vehicle has passed standardized tests to obtain a tow rating.

CWO4

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you properly equip the vehicle and tow in a safe and prudent manner, why does it matter? I can find no legal issue with GVWR. It comes up in all sorts of regulations, but unrelated to what you tow or load in a non-commercial vehicle. More around what class a vehicle is, bumper requirements, lights etc. I am not familiar with every state or every law, but would like to know what the actual issue is (other than renting a u-haul trailer, that I have seen be an issue at times).
I guess you missed the first part of the post, it is just a point statement. Anybody can do anything they want to thier vehical for what ever reason, smart/dumb, safe/un safe do what ever one wants to do. The point is or was you can not change the posted (sticker) rating of a vehicle.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I realize you want really bad to be right, but quoting me doesn't help. I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I brought up the wheelbase as being a possible issue because I think everyone understands many of the other issues. You said we need to compare parts with the Ranger. I was just offering that there is more to it than the parts. You then quote me as if I'm disagreeing with you so you have to clarify my statements. You don't. As someone that has considerable experience with the mechanics of vehicles, quoting me, then yourself as to prove a point, doesn't.
I know there's more than the parts, but people like to bring up brakes etc. so I feel it's important to point out that all of those things are good enough for 7500lbs on the vehicle that this one is based on, so they should not be the limiting factors.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Many vehicles are rated for towed weights outside of the list you included though.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you provide some examples?

A manufacturer could provide a lower than tested rating, but the tests are standardized tests.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess you missed the first part of the post, it is just a point statement. Anybody can do anything they want to thier vehical for what ever reason, smart/dumb, safe/un safe do what ever one wants to do. The point is or was you can not change the posted (sticker) rating of a vehicle.
I got that . Why does it matter if you can’t change the sticker? What’s the significance? I am not trying to be difficult, I am seeking to understand if it is just a legal issue that I can’t locate or just something to consider ponder?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's like the sticker on the anything that has a maximum, or a rating or something that has a limit. The sticker shows what the manufacturer tested the product to provide to the customer. The manufacturer went through the process to have it tested, to provide some capacity or capability.

If you overload, overheat, apply some force to something, as an example, and it breaks, it's not a warranty claim. It isn't the manufacturer's fault if you use it outside of the performance parameters.

Where is that line, between safe and not safe? Well, there is a standardized test for tow ratings. Manufacturers follow those testing procedures in order to get a rating that is meant to be safe.

You can exceed that, but it's at your own peril. You might upgrade a number of parts that impact the driveability or ability to pass the test, but the manufacturer didn't. You may then feel comfortable about the performance but the manufacturer of the vehicle isn't going to then say it is safe to do so. They didn't run it through the test.

Is it a legal issue? Maybe. There are plenty of products that fail, through a manufacturing defect or user error, and someone sues. Many of those claims get thrown out because it's obviously the negligence of the operator and not the manufacturer, but then where does liability or negligence end/begin, and what's the likelihood of being sued? If you drive around overloaded, it's probably not a big deal, until it becomes a big deal. No one goes into something knowing they will get hurt or someone will get killed. If they knew that beforehand, they'd probably not do it. So, if you drive within the parameters of the "sticker" you're probably safe. If you drive around outside those parameters, you might be safe, but you don't know where that line is until something goes wrong.

I think though that you get all that and you're really asking, so what. If that's really the question, there is no sticker police. You probably will never have to deal with it unless something bad happens and someone thinks you knew what the sticker said and ignored it.
Sponsored