Sponsored

Independent Suspension vs. Solid Axle Suspension :) (GIF Examples)

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve had 3 lifted Jeeps and zero death wobble. DW is almost always the result of cheap lifts and/or not understanding the geometries and limitations of SFA setups. I’ve also had a couple IFS trail rigs. They definitely ride better but don’t rock crawl nearly as well.
With 31” tires and open diffs, my 98 XJ easily went places my 89 4Runner, with 32” tires, locked rear and LS front, really struggled with.
That said, and since I’ll still have a Jeep, I’m looking forward to the better ride and handling of the Bronco for the milder trails.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve had 3 lifted Jeeps and zero death wobble. DW is almost always the result of cheap lifts and/or not understanding the geometries and limitations of SFA setups. I’ve also had a couple IFS trail rigs. They definitely ride better but don’t rock crawl nearly as well.
With 31” tires and open diffs, my 98 XJ easily went places my 89 4Runner, with 32” tires, locked rear and LS front, really struggled with.
That said, and since I’ll still have a Jeep, I’m looking forward to the better ride and handling of the Bronco for the milder trails.

Don't rock crawl well ???? We need to get you up to speed. :ROFLMAO:

Check these out ..............

2021 Ford Bronco | Rubicon Trail Testing Pt. 1 | Bronco Nation - YouTube

2021 Ford Bronco | Rubicon Trail Testing Pt. 2 | Bronco Nation - YouTube

I think they will "crawl" just fine. ;)

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's not death wobble. That's just a solid axle mediocre suspension on a bumpy surface. This is super evident when running down a washboard surface.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Don't rock crawl well ???? We need to get you up to speed. :ROFLMAO:

Check these out ..............

2021 Ford Bronco | Rubicon Trail Testing Pt. 1 | Bronco Nation - YouTube

2021 Ford Bronco | Rubicon Trail Testing Pt. 2 | Bronco Nation - YouTube

I think they will "crawl" just fine. ;)
I didn't say they can't rock crawl well. I said not as well as a SFA, especially with the same size tires and lockers. My 98 Cherokee with 31" tires, sway bar disconnects and open diffs (pretty comparable to a Base 6G Bronco) could easily do what those videos show, and probably not lift a tire. I'd like to see a Base w/o a locker tagging along in those videos.

I'm not bashing the Bronco (I love it too, and have a first day reservation) and it certainly looks to be more capable than any other stock IFS out there.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's not death wobble. That's just a solid axle mediocre suspension on a bumpy surface. This is super evident when running down a washboard surface.
Exactly! What Midnight Blue experienced was probably "bump steer", another symptom of a poorly tuned SFA suspension.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn't say they can't rock crawl well. I said not as well as a SFA, especially with the same size tires and lockers. My 98 Cherokee with 31" tires, sway bar disconnects and open diffs (pretty comparable to a Base 6G Bronco) could easily do what those videos show, and probably not lift a tire. I'd like to see a Base w/o a locker tagging along in those videos.

I'm not bashing the Bronco (I love it too, and have a first day reservation) and it certainly looks to be more capable than any other stock IFS out there.
They definitely ride better but don’t rock crawl nearly as well.

sorry I guess I missread your post don't crawl well and dont crawl as well is the same in my book.

Ok so Brad says in his walk around at around 2:30 in he says we thought it would not work as well under 5mph as it turned by the Rubicon and Moab videos we have found out it works just as well if not better under 5mph.

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2-Door Walk-Around | Bronco Nation - YouTube

so I guess as a final thought Things can be taken more than one way. So I guess I am misunderstanding Brad.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They definitely ride better but don’t rock crawl nearly as well.

sorry I guess I missread your post don't crawl well and dont crawl as well is the same in my book.

Ok so Brad says in his walk around at around 2:30 in he says we thought it would not work as well under 5mph as it turned by the Rubicon and Moab videos we have found out it works just as well if not better under 5mph.

2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2-Door Walk-Around | Bronco Nation - YouTube

so I guess as a final thought Things can be taken more than one way. So I guess I am misunderstanding Brad.
Hmmm. I don't think you misunderstood Brad (although there are different levels of rock crawling). I hope I stand to be corrected and can't wait to see for myself. Not sure I'll be willing to take my Basesquatch on Metal Masher (one of my favorite Moab trails) right away though.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hmmm. I don't think you misunderstood Brad (although there are different levels of rock crawling). I hope I stand to be corrected and can't wait to see for myself. Not sure I'll be willing to take my Basesquatch on Metal Masher (one of my favorite Moab trails) right away though.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am not expecting to take my Basesuqatch over some crazy red trail at AOAA on my first day out but I will be trying some blacks (y)(y) Trails here on the east tend to not as bad as out west (from what I see) but I can tell you this they will get you in trouble quick ( wet rock different than dry rock). The Bronc was born in the Hammers I should have no problems here.

I can't wait to get out and show the boys what a Ford can do. I am confident in what Ford has put together mainly because of what I have heard from those who have worked on it. ;)

I have to add a thank you as well. For making me watch those videos over. It seems like years since I had watched them. :ROFLMAO:

??

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am not expecting to take my Basesuqatch over some crazy red trail at AOAA on my first day out but I will be trying some blacks (y)(y) Trails here on the east tend to not as bad as out west (from what I see) but I can tell you this they will get you in trouble quick ( wet rock different than dry rock). The Bronc was born in the Hammers I should have no problems here.

I can't wait to get out and show the boys what a Ford can do. I am confident in what Ford has put together mainly because of what I have heard from those who have worked on it. ;)

I have to add a thank you as well. For making me watch those videos over. It seems like years since I had watched them. :ROFLMAO:

??
I know what you mean. I plan to attend the 2022 Easter Jeep Safari with my new Bronco.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Boy all this bench racing going on !
Ifs smoother ride ,kinda delicate in the rocks,more expensive to lift,cv joints weak link.

Solid axle heavy ,strong ,easier to work on ie gear changes ,the one id rather have for the zombie war

BossMann

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Stop lying to yourselves if you think IFS can hold a candle to SA (not really sure anyone is saying that, though) for built rock crawling. I may even do an SAS on this Bronco in a few years. Maybe do full width Dana 60’s F/R.

Last edited: