Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hey, all. I've learned a ton from this forum. But also have been conditioned to expect all kinds of hell from our Bronco once we took delivery. I thought, as someone coming from a lifetime of coupes and hot hatches, I could share my initial thoughts.

I'm a lifelong city guy with no illusions about my offroad skill. I don't have any. We're now in New England, and the most unpaved action our Bronco will see will be on Cape Cod beaches. So we went with an Outer Banks, 2.3 auto, lux package, MIC, no lockers, stock wheels and tires (for now).

• Wind noise is NOT bad. This was my biggest fear, some posts leading me to believe I'd be shouting at my wife and dog and struggling to hear music at any volume. That, for me, is simply not true. Yes, there's wind noise, but with the B&O system set at 16-18, the noise is drowned out entirely. With the system off, the wind is manageable up to ~70 MPH. Is it a Lexus? No.
  • The B&O system is, similarly, not bad. I'm no audiophile, so I'm sure I'm missing nuance here, but all genres I've tested sound perfectly fine to me. At any level above the factory setting, though, the bass does get a big muddled and overpowering, so I leave that stock, lower the mids and bump the treble. Also, spoken word content (podcasts and audiobooks) are clear at highway speeds. This system does not feel compromised.
  • Highway cruising is awesome. I've never driven a Jeep, so I don't have firsthand experience with the steering correction issue, but this thing tracks like an Audi.
  • Related, Adaptive Cruise Control is life-changing. I think Lane Keep Assist is a bit aggressive, but the ACC makes long highway trips so much easier.
  • Backroads are fun. More fun than I expected. I mean, this is a six-foot pile of bricks, and lurches and rolls, but still manages to be joyful.
  • Fuel economy is better than I expected. So far. We're only at ~500 miles, but so far I'm averaging about ~21 MPG. I'm following the break-in guidance, so I've rarely touched 75 MPH, but our first tank--mixed highway and backroads--averaged nearly 22 MPG. I'm not pushing it, not yet, and haven't spun into Sport, so that may change.
  • The seat heaters are tremendous.
  • The wheel heater is not. It feels like someone holding a match near your hands.
  • The wireless charging pad is...sketchy. For my iPhone 12 to maintain a connection, I have to remove the Apple MagSafe-ready case, which I don't have to do in my wife's Tahoe. But...
  • The 12-inch screen is incredible. Very clear, great contrast, punchy and vibrant, I love how it provides enough space for full CarPlay with a sidebar showing your audio (or other selected information). Along those lines...
  • Sync 4 is far better than Chevy's current software. It's snappier, plays better with multiple connected devices, and, I think, looks better (though that's subjective).
  • Interior storage will be a challenge. That center console is a void, a bottomless well from which packs of gum and EZ Pass tags will never emerge. My wife had to stuff her bag of Gummi Nerds into the door handle. (Unrelated--Gummi Nerds are pretty good.)
  • The middle portion of the MIC is kind of unwieldy for a one-person removal. I dread removing the back with my wife, who has a tendency to drop phones, utensils, books, small children, etc...
  • 55 degrees in the northeast is too cold to remove 2/3rds of the top. Trust me on this.
Overall, I think the Bronco is an absolute blast. I can't help but smile every time I get out and look back at him. If you're a regular here, but haven't taken delivery, do not be swayed by the naysayers; it will be worth the wait.

I wish you all happy wheeling.
Sponsored