Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Wrangler, Eldorado, Harley, Triumph
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive an older Ford with an archaic music box, a CD player. Back 30 years or better, my Dad was a member of the Columbia Music Club. After he passed, I inherited his entire collection. Many of the songs and artists were lesser known, and their stuff never made the digital jump. Does anyone with a newer Ford know how I would be able to still utilize them? Is there an aux cord i will be bale to hook a discman to? I really want to play some of my Dad's old road trip albums.
Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why not rip them to MP3? Then you can throw them on a USB drive, your phone, YouTube Music etc.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly as stated, I'll just add one thing. I've yet to see a head unit that deals well with thousands upon thousands of files on USB storage. They just don't seem to design them for that use case. So I'd recommend keeping it to less than a couple hundred albums on the drive. And it generally doesn't matter how fast the drive is... it's that the software of the head units isn't up to the task of a simple thing like consuming such a large list. I gave up trying so it's possible things have evolved, but doubtful.

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
HI - My beloved 2018 Fusion SE, with Sync 3 -easily handles a USB thumb drive with over 1000 mp3 files. Now, there is no search and the songs are played in alphanumerical order based on file name. But - it works.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't know enough to answer your primary question, but a quick search showed me a ranger forum where the topic was the absence of aux inputs.

As for the question you didn't ask, your best bet would be to rip the cds into digital files... cd drives have slowly been disappearing from vehicles and computers, and that trend won't reverse. Hell, my own computer doesn't have a cd drive, so I had to buy an external drive just to rip blue-rays.

The ripping process is a little bit of a learning curve, is tedious/repetitive, and it may require a small investment (possible external drive). But, whatever computer you own, the music player (iTunes etc) should have the functionality to rip your collection into digital. Just don't skimp on bit rate... memory is cheap these days, and these digital files will be your "master copies" unless you want to do the process all over again someday... so I suggest ripping the files with all the quality settings maxed. I used to play the game of how small I could make the music files, without losing too much audio quality, but all of those files have since been trashed, due to poor quality, and I replaced them with downloads from itunes.

Edit: depending on how old your computer is/how much memory it came with, you might want an external hard drive as well for storing the library, or at least as a backup if you don't want to lose your collection to a computer crash.

Last edited:
Reactions: DHC

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would absolutely begin doing a digital backup now. CDs don't last forever and eventually begin to decay.

HI - My beloved 2018 Fusion SE, with Sync 3 -easily handles a USB thumb drive with over 1000 mp3 files. Now, there is no search and the songs are played in alphanumerical order based on file name. But - it works.
Look up Tag & Rename -- it has many mass-tagging options, including 'tag based on filename'.

PrincipalD

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I agree with the digital backup. However, in my 2001 Explorer I have a FM transmitter I can hook up to and it transmits it to a radio station. That’s a cheap and easy solution until you get them digital.
Sponsored