Insider Tip: "Air Roof" Removable Roof Panels To Be Featured on the 2020 / 2021 Ford Bronco

1. Administrator

Administrator Administrator
    Staff Member

First Name:
    Admin
    Vehicle(s):
    Ford
    #1 Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    We just received breaking info from a tipster that the 2020 / 2021 Ford Bronco will feature a removable "Air Roof" with either four or six modular roof panels that can be taken off and stored in the vehicle, in line with concurrent info provided by well-placed insiders reported today.

We are told that the implementation of the new Bronco's Air Roof could be similar to the "MySky" removable sunroof design found on the Jeep Renegade which uses dual-panel roof panels that can be retracted (with power option) or removed completely for open-air off-roading and driving. The panels store flat in a height-adjustable rear cargo area when removed.

Air Roof Removable Roof 2020-2021 Ford Bronco .jpg

This news also coincides with reports of the new roof design in the next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler which may feature removable three-piece hardtop panels, indicating even more direct feature overlap and competition between these two rival vehicles.

No word yet on the materials used for the new Bronco's "Air Roof" and whether it will be glass, metal, plastic or another material.

This is welcomed news as a removable roof has been a staple feature of the Ford Bronco since its introduction. Now let's hope they make it easier to remove than the final production Bronco.

We will keep everyone updated should our tipster provide additional details on the new roof feature.

Hon3ysuckl3, JBradley77 and Hack like this.
  2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    All American
    Nice I dig it! Better than closed fixed roof and sounds like it should provide plenty of open air feeling. Just one concern - with that many panels I hope that they're well sealed from air and water though.

Hon3ysuckl3 likes this.
  3. FL Trucker

FL Trucker Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    F-150 Raptor, Fusion
    Thank you tipster and can you please please share some more info? :)

This roof sounds like a reasonable compromise between the roofless experience and the need to satisfy safety requirements (I don't think fully removable roof complies with current standards). The next Wrangler coming this year is supposedly losing its full removable top anyway and going with a panel system too, so the Bronco will match it on that aspect.

4. FORD MAN

FORD MAN New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Ford F-150 platinum ; 1990 BroncoII
    Sounds good but what do you do when the panels get banged up from all the really rough rides when removed and they don't fit back right ? Would rather have powered sun roof like the F150
    And I hope there is a half cab model

5. Jim The Tool Man

Vehicle(s):
    Built Ford Tough
    6 panels sounds good to me. 4 might work too. All I know is I've owned a JKU and the hard top's rear section is a major PITA to remove. It can't be done with just one person or a roof hoist. Break it up into lighter sections that can be stored and people may actually remove it unlike the thousands of Wrangler owners who keep it on 12 months/year.

6. JAGSarge

JAGSarge Well-Known Member

First Name:
    'Blu'
    Vehicle(s):
    Former 93 & 95 5th gen, 76 EB
    Thanks "Doug"!

That was my concern as well, I don't have any experience w/ long-term roof panels, do they end up leaking?

Agreed, well said Trucker.

7. mustangfanatic

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X; 2017 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
    Agreed, a nice compromise and an option I would certainly consider. I would assume having the removable panels would nix having a roof rack.

8. Bronco_CA

Bronco_CA Member

Vehicle(s):
    TIE Fighter
    Nope. Panels don't effect the mounting points for a roof rack because the panels fit within the frame of the roof structure, or inside of where the mounting points for a roof rack would be.

9. FORD MAN

FORD MAN New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2012 Ford F-150 platinum ; 1990 BroncoII
    Will the roof panels be an option or standard

10. dhg1078

dhg1078 Member

Something like that sounds like it would be optional.

11. Valhalla

Valhalla Member

Automotive
    Vehicle(s):
    1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Boulevrad
    You guys are missing the vanity angle, people like to take the tops off there jeeps so others can see them having a good time. Plus open cab goes miles for selling these vehicles. This is just a cheaper panoramic sunroof. I don't like it. I think it would hurt sales. It has to be an easily removable hardtop with a factory optional soft top. And a dual top option as well. Like the leader in this group the JK. If fiat screws up the JK the skies will be the limit on scooping up those sales. I would love to see a two door but lets be real the mainstream wants 4 doors. My Dos Pesos.

Jake_zx2 and Frank77 like this.
  12. Frank77

Frank77 Member

Vehicle(s):
    --
    Definitely think the vanity angle is a big part of why Jeep owners like the open roof aspect. Agreed it'd be a huge opportunity lost if the next gen JL Wrangler goes with a fixed top (with panels) and the Bronco doesn't scoop in with a removable top. But if both the Wrangler and Bronco came with non-fully-removable tops that might mean that there's no way to offer a fully removable top and comply with rollover protection requirements.

13. Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk Member

the problem is a true convertible wont happen due to crash regulations. Even the new Wrangler will have this new removable panel system. However if done right roof structure that is left will just look like the sport bar on the current wrangler.

Valhalla likes this.
  14. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2004 Z06
    I don't understand why a car can be a convertible but not a mid sized SUV. Doesn't make sense to me.

73blubronco and Valhalla like this.
  15. JBradley77

JBradley77 New Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 F250, E46 M3
    Well this is a good solution and alternative to a fully removable top. Let's face it, those are great in theory but not as much in practice.

The 78-96 Bronco top weighed 120-200 lbs! Nobody removed and reinstall that top often because of the weight. This air roof panel design should allow for a one person operation and can probably be stored easily in car.