Sponsored

Insider Tip: "Air Roof" Removable Roof Panels To Be Featured on the 2020 / 2021 Ford Bronco

Administrator

Heritage
Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

We just received breaking info from a tipster that the 2020 / 2021 Ford Bronco will feature a removable "Air Roof" with either four or six modular roof panels that can be taken off and stored in the vehicle, in line with concurrent info provided by well-placed insiders reported today.

We are told that the implementation of the new Bronco's Air Roof could be similar to the "MySky" removable sunroof design found on the Jeep Renegade which uses dual-panel roof panels that can be retracted (with power option) or removed completely for open-air off-roading and driving. The panels store flat in a height-adjustable rear cargo area when removed.

Air Roof Removable Roof 2020-2021 Ford Bronco .jpg

This news also coincides with reports of the new roof design in the next-generation 2018 Jeep Wrangler which may feature removable three-piece hardtop panels, indicating even more direct feature overlap and competition between these two rival vehicles.

No word yet on the materials used for the new Bronco's "Air Roof" and whether it will be glass, metal, plastic or another material.

This is welcomed news as a removable roof has been a staple feature of the Ford Bronco since its introduction. Now let's hope they make it easier to remove than the final production Bronco.

We will keep everyone updated should our tipster provide additional details on the new roof feature.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice I dig it! Better than closed fixed roof and sounds like it should provide plenty of open air feeling. Just one concern - with that many panels I hope that they're well sealed from air and water though.

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thank you tipster and can you please please share some more info? :)

This roof sounds like a reasonable compromise between the roofless experience and the need to satisfy safety requirements (I don't think fully removable roof complies with current standards). The next Wrangler coming this year is supposedly losing its full removable top anyway and going with a panel system too, so the Bronco will match it on that aspect.

FORD MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 platinum ; 1990 BroncoII
Sounds good but what do you do when the panels get banged up from all the really rough rides when removed and they don't fit back right ? Would rather have powered sun roof like the F150
And I hope there is a half cab model

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Built Ford Tough
6 panels sounds good to me. 4 might work too. All I know is I've owned a JKU and the hard top's rear section is a major PITA to remove. It can't be done with just one person or a roof hoist. Break it up into lighter sections that can be stored and people may actually remove it unlike the thousands of Wrangler owners who keep it on 12 months/year.

Sponsored
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This roof sounds like a reasonable compromise between the roofless experience and the need to satisfy safety requirements (I don't think fully removable roof complies with current standards). The next Wrangler coming this year is supposedly losing its full removable top anyway and going with a panel system too, so the Bronco will match it on that aspect.
Agreed, a nice compromise and an option I would certainly consider. I would assume having the removable panels would nix having a roof rack.

Bronco_CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TIE Fighter
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed, a nice compromise and an option I would certainly consider. I would assume having the removable panels would nix having a roof rack.
Nope. Panels don't effect the mounting points for a roof rack because the panels fit within the frame of the roof structure, or inside of where the mounting points for a roof rack would be.

FORD MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford F-150 platinum ; 1990 BroncoII
Will the roof panels be an option or standard

Valhalla

Badlands
First Name
Valhalla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1996 Bronco, F350, JKU, MKZ, Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You guys are missing the vanity angle, people like to take the tops off there jeeps so others can see them having a good time. Plus open cab goes miles for selling these vehicles. This is just a cheaper panoramic sunroof. I don't like it. I think it would hurt sales. It has to be an easily removable hardtop with a factory optional soft top. And a dual top option as well. Like the leader in this group the JK. If fiat screws up the JK the skies will be the limit on scooping up those sales. I would love to see a two door but lets be real the mainstream wants 4 doors. My Dos Pesos.

Sponsored

Frank77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Definitely think the vanity angle is a big part of why Jeep owners like the open roof aspect. Agreed it'd be a huge opportunity lost if the next gen JL Wrangler goes with a fixed top (with panels) and the Bronco doesn't scoop in with a removable top. But if both the Wrangler and Bronco came with non-fully-removable tops that might mean that there's no way to offer a fully removable top and comply with rollover protection requirements.

Vegas_Sirk

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
You guys are missing the vanity angle, people like to take the tops off there jeeps so others can see them having a good time. Plus open cab goes miles for selling these vehicles. This is just a cheaper panoramic sunroof. I don't like it. I think it would hurt sales. It has to be an easily removable hardtop with a factory optional soft top. And a dual top option as well. Like the leader in this group the JK. If fiat screws up the JK the skies will be the limit on scooping up those sales. I would love to see a two door but lets be real the mainstream wants 4 doors. My Dos Pesos.
the problem is a true convertible wont happen due to crash regulations. Even the new Wrangler will have this new removable panel system. However if done right roof structure that is left will just look like the sport bar on the current wrangler.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't understand why a car can be a convertible but not a mid sized SUV. Doesn't make sense to me.

JBradley77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250, E46 M3
Well this is a good solution and alternative to a fully removable top. Let's face it, those are great in theory but not as much in practice.

The 78-96 Bronco top weighed 120-200 lbs! Nobody removed and reinstall that top often because of the weight. This air roof panel design should allow for a one person operation and can probably be stored easily in car.
Sponsored