John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted a pair of struts to hold the hood open without using the prop rod. I open the hood to hook up the battery clamps on my air pump during beach season, and eventually hope to install a mounted air system.

I found there are two types of hood struts available. One system (RedLineTuning) mounts to the middle portion of the hood. I'd read that on some cars, the hood can be bent. Another strut system by MRT mounts to the hood hinge area, so I flipped a coin and went with the MRT hood strut system.
https://www.shopmrt.com/2021-Bronco...c_02L-jLznOBIS3tMM2ILy-1_2B_r2X4aAi8YEALw_wcB

(DEC 18 UPDATE: I added 2 photos comparing the attachment design choices of the two hood strut options available, MRT vs RedLineTuning. @Tex is thinking of installing the RedLineTuning model so we can have a real world comparison. This is good for all of us. It seems that the question is, "which attachment point puts the least stress on the hood." I dont want a bent hood, which I have heard is the danger with installing aftermarket struts on OEM prop-rod hoods!)

I bought part #80K110 from CJ Pony Parts for $137.99. With SC tax, free shipping, it was $150.41. I had to buy a metric 13mm double ended wrench for about $8. I'm generally handy, but no auto mechanic. After watching the video on the MRT web site, the job took about 90 minutes, because I took my time and the lower strut mount bracket bolt behind the fuse box (driver side) was very tight and a PITA. And I was a little nervous about unbolting the hood, which ended up OK.

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut SmartSelect_20211209-200325_Gallery

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut Screenshot_20211209-194515_Gallery

The lower brackets are installed by using the 13mm wrench to loosen an existing bolt enough to slip the bracket over the bolt, then retighten. The drivers side is wedged against the fuse box, very tight. The passenger side has more room to work, and I could use a 13mm socket. But I had to loosen the bolt more to slide the bracket into place.
Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut Screenshot_20211209-194411_Gallery

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut Screenshot_20211209-193259_Gallery

The upper brackets mount with the existing hood hinge bolts, but both nuts have to be removed to mount the bracket, and that means that the hood is moving around! I enlisted my son to hold the hood and hinge together while I mounted the upper brackets on both sides, and tightened. As the video said, the hood was painted with the hinge in place, so its fairly easy to slide the hood/hinge into position and tighten.
Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut 20211209_143501

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut 20211209_150642

Here are shown the right and left brackets in position, and the struts clipped into their matching brackets.
Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut 20211209_150634

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut 20211209_150726

Above, my son is holding the now-redundant prop rod in position, to show that the MRT struts hold the hood a few inches higher than the prop rod, which I like because I'm tall and don't want to hit my head while pumping my tires back up after a day on the beach.
Below, the wide view of the installed MRT Hood Struts
Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut 20211209_170529

Vehicle: Outer Banks 4dr, A51, 2.7, MIC, Oct 7 Build, Oct 21 Delivery, Roast/Onyx Leather, High, 4.27 rear locker, Kuat Pivot Bike Rack. Charleston, SC.

20211201_143920.jpg

Screenshot_20211218-103832_Gallery.jpg

Above, a photo of my OBX with MRT struts installed (orange note). I drew the approximate positioning of the RedLine Tuning strut for comparison (red notes).
Below, a photo from RedlineTuning with their struts. I drew the approximate position of the MRT struts in orange for comparison.
Which design is better, I don't know!?
Screenshot_20211218-102550_Gallery.jpg

SmartSelect_20211218-112416_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice. I was just thinking the other day that I should figure out how to mount lift struts to the hood. Why vehicles are still manufactured with prop rods in 2021 is beyond me.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice. I was just thinking the other day that I should figure out how to mount lift struts to the hood. Why vehicles are still manufactured with prop rods in 2021 is beyond me.
These aren't the old tough steel hoods of yesteryear. There is a little flex at the hinge where the strut is attached. The other style strut attaches 1/3 up the hood. I have no idea which is better. Or if the Ford mechanic will have a comment later.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I may try the other style just so we can compare the two...do you have any info for it?

A55_CACTUS

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fv cars
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That’s pretty gangster but why is it a 4 door?

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I may try the other style just so we can compare the two...do you have any info for it?
Yes. That would be great to try the other and compare! Red Line tuning has the other system. In fact, they seem to have two choices, making choice confusing. How would I know which one I want? So I went with MRT, so far, its fine. Here's the RedLineTuning link:
I also added a photo of the relative attachment points of my MRT struts vs the Redline Tuning struts. As I noted, I don't know which angle works better, is better for the car, or puts less stress on the hood. A comparison would be great!

https://www.redlinetuning.com/2021-Ford-Bronco-Hood-QuickLIFT-PLUS-p/21-11039-02.htm

Ford Bronco Install MRT Hood Strut Screenshot_20211218-102550_Gallery

Last edited:

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah that's a tough one, open the hood closer to the center of gravity or open it where it's probably reinforced for the hinge...I can see where it would be a draw without more info and comparison.

I'll get the redline kit ordered ASAP and post pics and my opinion of it when it gets here (y)

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah that's a tough one, open the hood closer to the center of gravity or open it where it's probably reinforced for the hinge...I can see where it would be a draw without more info and comparison.

I'll get the redline kit ordered ASAP and post pics and my opinion of it when it gets here (y)
Thanks, Tex! I think that this is an important use of this forum, and since we're among the first to have the vehicles, we and others who are installing new struts can be the testers, experimenters and evaluators of various options. And these are easier to buy and try than tires, wheels and lift kits!

Last edited:

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Are the hoods strong enough when you pull them down?
Seems that the struts putting enough upward pressure to hold up the hood would cause it to want to bend in the middle when you pull down on the front to close it.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Are the hoods strong enough when you pull them down?
Seems that the struts putting enough upward pressure to hold up the hood would cause it to want to bend in the middle when you pull down on the front to close it.
Thats the $64,000 question! Check back with Tex and me (and others who have shown a strut installation on this post) in a year, after a Summer of tire inflation, and we'll report how the two designs work!

Last edited:

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Definitely intrigued. I like how they mount to the hinge plate where it should be stronger, but like everyone else am interested to see how the hood holds up.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Definitely intrigued. I like how they mount to the hinge plate where it should be stronger, but like everyone else am interested to see how the hood holds up.
There is a bit of wobble or play at the MRT hinge, so Red line moved the pivot 1/3 up the hood, which could stress the aluminum hood, which is not designed for weight bearing pivot stress, AFAIK! I'd love to hear what the Ford design engineers say, but you can be sure that if either design bends the hood, it won't be Ford's fault: "We put in a prop support for a reason!" So hopefully MRT & Redline stand behind their products.

I do open, and close my hood, gently!
Best scenario, both designs work well!

Last edited:

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed the Redline version, see video below.

I have never felt like closing the hood with the Redline installed imparts any significant pressure on the hood, and never sensed that there was any danger of bending anything. But you are right, time will be the ultimate test, not just one guy.

I will say the one thing I do not like about it, is that without any strut installed, the hood will properly latch when you drop it from about 6-12" from the latch. With the strut installed, dropping it does not latch. You have to physically push it down hard from 6-12".

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can tell I like the the Redline Max and how it opens more. I can tell from your photo my hood opens much higher than yours, but I like the robust nature of your hood struts.

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I installed the Redline version, see video below.

I have never felt like closing the hood with the Redline installed imparts any significant pressure on the hood, and never sensed that there was any danger of bending anything. But you are right, time will be the ultimate test, not just one guy.

I will say the one thing I do not like about it, is that without any strut installed, the hood will properly latch when you drop it from about 6-12" from the latch. With the strut installed, dropping it does not latch. You have to physically push it down hard from 6-12".

I had these on my 2012 Mustang GT. That hood felt every bit as big as the Bronco hood does now and I didn't have any problems with them other than the annoyance you mentioned, having to push it the last 6-12".
Sponsored