First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Your video was SUPER helpful to see how bigger tires could work out! We have an OBX, I bought a set of Base wheels from someone on eBay, and today got these installed!

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 LT 285/75R16

Thanks!

Ford Bronco Installed 33 inch tires on stock Base rims - no mods required IMG_2627
Sponsored

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sweet! I actually saw your post earlier today about the Badge, which I think is cool. You definitely have a one of a kind Bronco at this point for sure and that is awesome! Did you sell the old OBX wheels?

Doogle82

Base
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very sweet. You inspired me, and now I've got an appointment tomorrow to put to Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 4dr base! Love your Youtube channel.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very sweet. You inspired me, and now I've got an appointment tomorrow to put to Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my 4dr base! Love your Youtube channel.
Awesome...thanks Carl! Just as an update, some people questioned if this tire size on a smaller rim would cause uneven wear due to bulging. I am only 3500 miles in but I did some tread depth measuring the other day and I did not see any indication of uneven wear.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know this thread is older but i thought I'd update with my observations of going with the 285-75-16's on the base steelies.
Part of why I went with the base was the look of the steelies. It's a classic. elemental look that suits the retro vibe of the Bronco. I went with Hankook Dynapro AT extremes in 285-75-16, the local tire shop installed them without question on the base rims, and I went with a set of 5 including the spare. They fill the fenders nicely, no rubbing, no lift needed, crash bars still installed. I used Forscan to adjust the speedometer, you do need to do all the procedures including the resets for AWD module and the PCM, and that will correct any mileage or speed errors. I'm getting 18 mpg in mostly my roughly 10 mile drive to work and the occasional longer drive, got 23 on a trip to TC, which is mostly unchanged from the stock tires. I'm not sure really if that's up or down as I swapped out the tires before the drivetrain was fully run in.
Plenty of power from the 2.3 7MT. It'll chirp them without effort. Ride height is higher and for some a step would be a good idea. I found that 1st as delivered seemed a bit on the low side and the taller tire is now just right. The spare fit fine and the brake light is well visible.
IMHO the base bronco may actually be designed with this tire in mind. It works so well and looks so good it's a natural fit. Most base buyers are looking at that trim as a blank sheet so why not put a "placeholder" tire on it, cheap because it's not going to stay very long.
Ford Bronco Installed 33 inch tires on stock Base rims - no mods required IMG_4028.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know this thread is older but i thought I'd update with my observations of going with the 285-75-16's on the base steelies.
Part of why I went with the base was the look of the steelies. It's a classic. elemental look that suits the retro vibe of the Bronco. I went with Hankook Dynapro AT extremes in 285-75-16, the local tire shop installed them without question on the base rims, and I went with a set of 5 including the spare. They fill the fenders nicely, no rubbing, no lift needed, crash bars still installed. I used Forscan to adjust the speedometer, you do need to do all the procedures including the resets for AWD module and the PCM, and that will correct any mileage or speed errors. I'm getting 18 mpg in mostly my roughly 10 mile drive to work and the occasional longer drive, got 23 on a trip to TC, which is mostly unchanged from the stock tires. I'm not sure really if that's up or down as I swapped out the tires before the drivetrain was fully run in.
Plenty of power from the 2.3 7MT. It'll chirp them without effort. Ride height is higher and for some a step would be a good idea. I found that 1st as delivered seemed a bit on the low side and the taller tire is now just right. The spare fit fine and the brake light is well visible.
IMHO the base bronco may actually be designed with this tire in mind. It works so well and looks so good it's a natural fit. Most base buyers are looking at that trim as a blank sheet so why not put a "placeholder" tire on it, cheap because it's not going to stay very long.
Well said, Chris! Glad to hear it is working out well for you.

Mark T

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford should've had these as standard on the Base from the factory - looks awesome! I may do the same upgrade on my BD with the black steelies 🙌
Do you have your Bronco yet? If yes, have you changed the tires?

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No issues. I have read in some non-Bronco forums (the Tacoma one for example) that some people have seen abnormal tire wear in the middle of the tread pattern due to the slightly bulging/balloon nature of this installation, but also read that this can be avoided by just running them at a little lower psi
Any issues with bulging/uneven tread wear? I assumed those tires would be too wide for the 7" base steelie

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any issues with bulging/uneven tread wear? I assumed those tires would be too wide for the 7" base steelie
Spec is for 7.5", the tire shop had no question installing them on the 7" steelie and I see no bulging or uneven wear patterns. I'm at 34 psi and the tread portion looks flat across. They are about as large as I would go.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same, no issues. When I rotated my tires at 5000 miles I made measurements across the tread and could not find any evidence of uneven wear.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)