First Name
Jetta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & some motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Base
First off, love the results, the shifter is completely worth it and I'm really glad I installed it at such an early stage of the bronco's life.

I was tempted to make a video cause I haven't seen any on the install itself but I have no faculties for that and just wanted to jam it out. Overall the instructions were good, I wish there was some clarifying info in a few critical spots.

Spot number 1:
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_044840643

You'll notice that on the plastic just under where the grab handle attaches, that there are some significant vertical scratches, this makes me sick to my stomach but overall it's not the end of the world. There are some ways to deal with interior scratches but this could've been easily avoided and it'll never be the same. Useful clarifying info would be: the edges of this center console panel are extremely sharp and the interior plastics are incredibly soft and pliable, almost spongy. If you look closely at the right side of that handle bracket, there are tiny "tooth mark" dents, that was from me just resting the panel into the floorboard as the instructions showed early on in the process. It would've made sense to just remove the wire loom holder and disconnect the 4wd selector switch but I was following it to a T not thinking this would damage anything. I've worked in a lot of cars and have rarely encountered a plastic interior so sensitive.

After noticing those marks I took measures to protect the center console, and wrapped the end of the panel in 4 layers of paper towel thinking that would be plenty, and I carried on with the job. It was only at the end in this moment when I discovered even my paper towel padding wasn't enough and it had been tearing into the plastic as I was fiddling with all the rest, the instructions have you bending out that plastic to remove the handle bracket. As you can see I put styrofoam from the shifter box in between after it was too late. Just not well thought out and I deeply regret not listening to my instincts, I wanted to unplug the 4x4 selector but thought whatever I'll play ball.

Spot number 2 I don't have a picture for, but will probably grab a pic tomorrow and edit this post:

The cable adjuster clips on the passenger side of the transmission under the car are extremely fragile. They're these orange things and the instructions say to push them to the outside of the cable. They hold on both "top" and "bottom" in a claw fashion, so you do have to bend them out a bit to push the clip out. It can be done by hand and the instructions shoud've specified that and expressed how brittle they are. I had a screwdriver on hand but hadn't gotten to using it yet. I like to test things and be careful when I'm working with clips and plastics, I barely moved it with my thumb and it snapped off. I'm not a strong person and I have a pretty delicate touch with things so that was kinda shocking. Anyway I managed to get those adjuster clips out and back in very carefully but I'll be seeking out a replacement for the one I broke. It should hold due to the design but I'm not comfortable with letting that go long term.

Ok with that over, I gotta repeat I love the mod, it's absolutely a drastic change over what is a mostly good shifter setup from the factory.

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_054621128

The ergonomics are vastly improved and the shift throws are a lot shorter. I thought the height might be awkward with hvac and radio controls but I didn't notice any troubles operating all that when driving. I love that it's closer to the steering wheel and I can rest my elbow on the center console and use my wrist and fingers to shift it. When it was oem I would on occasion keep my elbow to my side and reach around the center console, idk it made sense sometimes, I don't feel any need to do that and everything flows much better.

Ford really should consider a shifter similar to this either standard or as an option it's a lot better.

Anyway, here are some random pics, I find it so extra that B&M anodized the internals despite them being hidden but whatever, it's a really well made product!

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_004441880

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_012259377

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_022112796
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_030814429

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_030817321.MP
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_030824090

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_034619877

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_034625707
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today PXL_20230603_051117013

Closing thoughts about tools and skills:

Be sure you have plastic interior wedge tools, these are critical in a few spots, and it really helps to have the pliers type of plastic tap separator for the shift cable ball ends. For the disassembly of the shift tower you'll absolutely need a dentist/gasket pick thing, and I found screwdriver type sockets and punches useful in a few places. I used dielectric silicone grease for the pins and cable connections and recommend it for that oem spice.

Do not attempt this if tearing apart your new car makes you squeamish, I've worked in new cars before but have never owned one until now, I really am kicking myself about the panel scratches and clip breakages, but oh well! I'm just glad I tend to make mistakes on my own stuff lol

Only attempt this if you're comfortable with fiddly hours long jobs, the instructions are overall really good with pictures and notes for certain steps that provide context etc, they'll get you thru it. It's 11 pages and comes in paper. Am tired of QR code instructions on a lot of stuff lol

Fun vehicle is even more fun now and drives better :)
Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who has taken the center console out a few times I can attest to the fact that it is extremely easy to scratch the center console skirt.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nice to see someone tackle this. But, how does a longer shaft produce shorter throws? Is the pivot point changed?

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The adjuster lock on the shift cable you "broke" will still work fine. Ford isn't going to sell you just that clip, you would have to buy a whole shift cable. The part you broke (which I broke too), is just the tab that keeps the clip in the locked position. I used a small zip tie around the cable end to lock the clip in...should hold indefinitely

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I have looked at this and it just seems too tall to me. I'd like a shorter throw with a more stock look. Glad you like to though.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have looked at this and it just seems too tall to me. I'd like a shorter throw with a more stock look. Glad you like to though.
It looks kinda weird in the pics, but trust me the feel is awesome. If you should happen to meet somebody that's got one installed, ask em if you can hop in and dry shift it... feels slick!

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It looks kinda weird in the pics, but trust me the feel is awesome. If you should happen to meet somebody that's got one installed, ask em if you can hop in and dry shift it... feels slick!
That is where I am at on this...I think I have to try and experience it before I would buy it. It is to integral to the driving experience for me to purchase blindly.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is where I am at on this...I think I have to try and experience it before I would buy it. It is to integral to the driving experience for me to purchase blindly.
There's nothing wrong, per se, w/the stock shifter...its pretty nice. The B&M one is just plain cool tho...really feels good to shift. They added detents inside the gimbal that give it a real tactile click in each position. I had to do the same as the OP and adjust my cables so the shifters detents and the trannys are in time. Once you got that right it feels so perfect! The added hieght allows me to grab it either "palm over the top", or "pistol grip" style. I also have another 7mt Bronco that has the original shifter. Going back and forth i can really notice the difference, and like I said, the original ain't bad...but the B&M just feels cool! Also worth noting I used Boomba's weighted knob on my B&M...Definitely likes the heavy knob. When I had the weighted knob on the stock shifter it felt a little bit like rubber bands...not bad, but it exaggerated the sloppiness...B&M fixed that

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is where I turn to my wife and say ‘ honey, what could go wrong?’
Or hold my beer,watch this
It actually works pretty good don't go crazy your just trying to remove scratches not burn the whole world.

Red Squatch

Heritage
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cobra convertible
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
When I put a Steeda Tri Ax on my Cobra Mustang I put the stock boot and knob back on. Nobody even knows it's on there, unless they drive it. If Steeda makes one for the Bronco I'll have one.

OP
OP
BillysMom

BillysMom

Base
First Name
Jetta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & some motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agreed with the concern that it seemed too tall and odd in photos, I took a chance on it I guess and am really pleased! Shifts are more solid and quick, feels very race car. In person I love the way it looks, I've had a few older ford trucks with sticks and it looks more correct to me now 😅

Nice to see someone tackle this. But, how does a longer shaft produce shorter throws? Is the pivot point changed?
Yes the geometry is different, the shifter is taller and one would assume that would would make the throws longer, but that's just a testament to how short these throws are now. Honestly though the higher up position is more comfortable and the leverage is welcome since moving from a gear to neutral takes a bit more effort now. Neutral to gear is softer, gear to neutral is harder, it's a bit odd at first but I'm liking how informative that is actually when moving it around.

I suppose there are appeals to the stock shifter for sure, but I'm happier with this option. All mods have compromises!

I drove it about 130 miles today, was a good ol time :)

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can use a heat gun to get rid of the scratches.

FRM

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 22 Bronco Base , 19 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I installed mine about 2 months ago. And I have a small issue with shifting to 2nd gear. It feels like it doesn't completely engage and will grind once in awhile. Ergonomics are fantastic though and short shifts are badass.
Sponsored