First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed mine about 2 months ago. And I have a small issue with shifting to 2nd gear. It feels like it doesn't completely engage and will grind once in awhile. Ergonomics are fantastic though and short shifts are badass.
Might need to adjust cable. Mine was off a little bit in all the "rearward" gears. Cable on the side of the trans that goes to the large counterweighted lever is F-R. Loosen the orange clip and lengthen by one or two clicks.
Sponsored

Triceratops

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 speed Huffy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a B&M short throw shifter on my Corvette. The action really was like locking a rifle bolt. So satisfying, very precise. This will obviously be longer throw than that, but I imagine this B&M is just as precise.

BroncoBilly23

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Installed mine about 2 months ago and can't imagine not having it now. Throws are great and feels more like a sports car shift than over stock. It also is the perfect height coming from the arm rest.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It looks kinda weird in the pics, but trust me the feel is awesome. If you should happen to meet somebody that's got one installed, ask em if you can hop in and dry shift it... feels slick!
I hope to see you at some events this year so I can see yours. I'm interested in this but just can't bite the bullet until I see it in person.

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope to see you at some events this year so I can see yours. I'm interested in this but just can't bite the bullet until I see it in person.
I was planning to go to super cel in the Dells

Bronco_joe

Black Diamond
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

installed mine today after reading this post. I was on the fence about ordering but glad I did. Feel, fit and finish are amazing. I didn't adjust the cables just yet because I didn't feel like dropping my skid plate, so that will wait. Overall I'm very happy!! Thanks for the write up to push me to purchase.

IcemanBW

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mutiple
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Group: Happy 2024. Installed the B&M short-throw shifter this weekend on my spouses 22' Bronco Badlands 7-sp. Mostly simple install for a DIY. Initial impressions, certainly helps creating quick, crisp, and precise shifts. Similar to the prior poster, however, shifting from 1-2 is immensely short and feels shorter/less fully 'engaged' than other gear changes. However, 2 problems I need the groups input re: 1. When I was removing the fragile plastic bearing cup - it was glued to the top and the bottom of the assembly and didn't come out fully in-tact. Still usable, but won't definitively 'snap' back into place. That said, I'm skeptical to re-insert as it's not a complete piece, and don't want it to cause other issues should it not be solidly in the housing. Does anyone know if there is a replacement part available for this, and if so, the part number? 2. I notice 6th gear does not engage while all other forward/reverse/crawl gear(s) successfully do sans issue. Is the plastic bearing cup the culprit here, or does it sound like it's a combination of readjusting the cables, and the addition of a new plastic bearing cup?

Thank you for the input and advice.

BW

Reactions: FRM

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Group: Happy 2024. Installed the B&M short-throw shifter this weekend on my spouses 22' Bronco Badlands 7-sp. Mostly simple install for a DIY. Initial impressions, certainly helps creating quick, crisp, and precise shifts. Similar to the prior poster, however, shifting from 1-2 is immensely short and feels shorter/less fully 'engaged' than other gear changes. However, 2 problems I need the groups input re: 1. When I was removing the fragile plastic bearing cup - it was glued to the top and the bottom of the assembly and didn't come out fully in-tact. Still usable, but won't definitively 'snap' back into place. That said, I'm skeptical to re-insert as it's not a complete piece, and don't want it to cause other issues should it not be solidly in the housing. Does anyone know if there is a replacement part available for this, and if so, the part number? 2. I notice 6th gear does not engage while all other forward/reverse/crawl gear(s) successfully do sans issue. Is the plastic bearing cup the culprit here, or does it sound like it's a combination of readjusting the cables, and the addition of a new plastic bearing cup?

Thank you for the input and advice.

BW
It has been a while since I did this install, so I can't picture the plastic bearing cup to which you refer. However, I also had a couple of gears that didn't feel like they engaged properly. Adjusting the cables underneath the vehicle solved that issue. I did break the cable clips and had to resort to using cable ties to hold the remainder of the clip securely.

FRM

Base
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 22 Bronco Base , 19 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It has been a while since I did this install, so I can't picture the plastic bearing cup to which you refer. However, I also had a couple of gears that didn't feel like they engaged properly. Adjusting the cables underneath the vehicle solved that issue. I did break the cable clips and had to resort to using cable ties to hold the remainder of the clip securely.
I was wondering myself about those damn clips. I touched one and it broke off. Now i know! Ive had my shifter for over a year now and need to adjust the 2nd and 4th gear throw. Still love it though!

Sponsored

IcemanBW

Badlands
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mutiple
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here’s the part, pictured below. Wondering if the lack-thereof is why the transmission won’t go into 6th? Ford advised this part is only available as part of the entire assembly, circled below. Only $175, but still. Frustrating nonetheless. Any other thoughts? Last, how did you go about adjusting the shift lines underneath the vehicle? I’ve yet to get up under to take a look
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today IMG_5796

IMG_5798.jpeg

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was wondering myself about those damn clips. I touched one and it broke off. Now i know! Ive had my shifter for over a year now and need to adjust the 2nd and 4th gear throw. Still love it though!
I toy with the idea of buying new clips, but zip ties are holding the important part of the clip securely, so I haven't worried about it yet.

I'm sure the little buggers are easy to remove when clean, but mine were caked in dirt.

Reactions: FRM

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here’s the part, pictured below. Wondering if the lack-thereof is why the transmission won’t go into 6th? Ford advised this part is only available as part of the entire assembly, circled below. Only $175, but still. Frustrating nonetheless. Any other thoughts? Last, how did you go about adjusting the shift lines underneath the vehicle? I’ve yet to get up under to take a look
Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today IMG_5798

Ford Bronco Installed the B&M sport short shifter today IMG_5798
Oh, now I remember that thing. I doesn't seem like the broken tab would prevent you from engaging 6th gear, but I suppose it's possible.

I would try adjusting the cables and see how that goes. It's a fairly simple procedure...just don't break the orange clips!

shoptb2277

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2d 7M
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone,

We finally managed to get the B&M Short Shifter installed (finally with a little help from the local 4x4 shop). The feel is such a nice improvement over factory, but the physical shifting of the gear is TOUGH. I mean, you are really working your arm muscles just to get it from gear to gear, which seems off.

Anyone else encountered this? Not sure if this requires some lubrication, or adjustment somewhere?

Thanks in advance guys!

OP
OP
BillysMom

BillysMom

Base
First Name
Jetta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & some motorcycles
Your Bronco Model
Base
It softens up a tad but always has a pretty solid "tough" engagement. I like it, reminds me of race cars I've interacted with and owned

I've had it installed for 1500 miles now, i regularly move it pretty limp wristed with 2 or 3 fingers, I think you'll be fine once it breaks in and you adapt to it

A thought I just had: I made sure to use plenty of silicone grease when all the connective/moving parts were going together, I'm not sure what you or the shop did during install but I'd consider that a crucial step. If it's gritty or tough to move once out of it's gear position, like in travel, then there might be something iffy with your install. Once it's out of the pocket mine moves freely and easily, going into and out of the pocket should require a nice bump-like force
Sponsored