Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just ordered a Curt hitch for $118 shipped. Now I'm getting some of these (going through Panda which I hope is reliable - they are on the forum) to have ready for the bronco. I'm trying to decide on the wide or narrow ones, I have a Big Bend coming, regular width tires will be on it always. My wife is short also!
I know this is an off-road capable truck. But every decision doesn't have to default to how it will work in the most extreme conditions. Some seem to give that negativity a lot: "I'm buying the 2.3!" - won't work as good off road....."I'm getting a manual!" - won't work as good....."getting Air Conditioner!" - won't....
It gets tiresome.

I will need to slide my bronco on it's door sills/rails exactly zero times in my years of ownership. How do I know? I've been driving off road in the southwest in quite rough country for 30 years now. And never touched the door sills on any of my 4-5 trucks and 4runner in that time. But I DO know I'll be getting in and out of the truck many times each day. Figure a ratio of 57900:1 for getting in:rock sliding.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just ordered a Curt hitch for $118 shipped. Now I'm getting some of these (going through Panda which I hope is reliable - they are on the forum) to have ready for the bronco. I'm trying to decide on the wide or narrow ones, I have a Big Bend coming, regular width tires will be on it always. My wife is short also!
I know this is an off-road capable truck. But every decision doesn't have to default to how it will work in the most extreme conditions. Some seem to do that, "I'm buying the 2.3!" - won't work as good off road....."I'm getting a manual!" - won't work as good....."getting Air Conditioner!" - won't....
It gets tiresome.

I will need to slide my bronco on it's door sills/rails exactly zero times in my years of ownership. How do I know? I've been driving off road in the southwest in quite rough country for 30 years now. And never touched the door sills on any of my 4-5 trucks and 4runner in that time. But I DO know I'll be getting in and out of the truck many times each day. Figure a ratio of 57900:1 for getting in:rock sliding.
this is my thought as well

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the difference between the D6 here and the DSS? The mounting hardware looks very similar. I was assuming they’d be better as actual sliders, but maybe not?

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've been thinking the narrower of the three options, but may go with the D6 for the extra step width. Thinking of moving from BL to BadSquatch when I have to reorder for MY22. The wife could use the extra help even though she is not that short...had extra effort getting into the local dealer's Wildtrak. I was fine getting in and out of the Wildtrak, but if my back acts up, I won't be able to get into the Bronco without the step.

Yes back problems and getting old suck.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I decided on the D6 this morning. Yes, it is a little wide, and may be harder to step over if not being used. But to me, the advantages of the 6" wide is less rock chips and dirt on the sides, and easier to put your foot on it to actually use. I just ordered. Don't forget there is a 5% off code for forum users.

Last edited:

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I decided on the D6 this morning. Yes, it is a little wide, and may be harder to step over if not being used. But to me, the advantages of the 6" wide is less rock chips and dirt on the sides, and easier to put your foot on it to actually use. I just ordered. Don't forget there is a 10% off code for forum users.
WhaWhat? share the code!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They don't really decrease clearance like the one set of GoRhino steps
46704B0A-1EF3-4A3A-BC68-227F41F158CB.jpeg
The D6 tube steps are so much better than the OEM steps!

Look at the OEM steps and how horrible they are leaving the lower body area looking.

OBX Steps.jpg

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
They sure look nice!

As mentioned before, not being frame mounted is a durability concern. Also there are no supporting braces between the lengths of tube except at the two ends where connected (Mounting tabs for the grate don't add enough strength for purposes of sustaining the vehicle weight), so I would expect these to crease/bend under vehicle weight or if taking a rock impact while crawling.

This could be entirely wrong, but without the manufacturer giving accurate materials listing including wall thickness, i'll assume the lowest cost to produce until proven wrong, rather than the other way around.
Ford didn't even mount their own rock rails on the frame, which has pros and cons, however I can understand why you would hesitate to see rock rails on the body vs the frame. Not sure why Ford made the decision to mount rock rails on the body vs the frame, however, if the area is strong enough, it could possibly not matter.

ICUGAZN

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does anyone know the difference between the D6 here and the DSS? The mounting hardware looks very similar. I was assuming they’d be better as actual sliders, but maybe not?
D6
8" wide and 5.5” of stepping surface.

DS
5.5” wide 2” stepping surface

Dss
5.5 “ wide 2” stepping surface
They all use the same brackets and sit up tight against the vehicle.

Sponsored