John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Update, 8/24, Wind & MPG results & info at end!
Since I bought my OBX in October 2021, my plan was to put a small roof rack over the rear cap, so that I could remove the front and middle panels and still have a small roof rack. I leave the rear cap on the car, so this works for me.

The Ford Performance/Yakima rack featured in the 2020-2021 concept vehicles I couldn't find, but the TrailRax https://www.trailrax.com/ becameavailable a few weeks ago so I bought one through Bronco Nation for $765. There is a video to install their full-roof rack, and I used the applicable portions from that. I decided to not purchase the side saddles, but I could easily do that if I have the need.

The rack seems very sturdy and well designed with a low profile. I'll know if it makes noise over the next few days of highway driving (update on very minimal wind noise below). I wanted to get something on the roof because I like the tie-offs for awnings at the beach, and because we're driving to Texas late October for a 10 day trip to Bronco Off-Roadeo.

The rack adds 4.3 inches to the Bronco. The OBX was <72" high at the rear roof cap, it is now 76.5 inches, just shy of 6'5" high.

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_142351

Its a bit industrial looking, but fits well, matches the MIC top finish, and clamps on strongly.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_120934

A second pair of hands is a help, when reading directions, fastening dozens of fasteners, and especially when installing the rack on the roof.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_142522

The air foil is close to the roof to reduce noise, but it can be removed.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_140629

I can have an open top with three panels off, and a roof rack as well! Of course, as soon as I removed the panels to test the process, the rain started to pour . . . So some photos show rain!
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_135103

The middle panel removes with the rack in place, but its tight. Part of my problem is the gearshade screen. The latches can get caught in it when removing.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_140520

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_135214

As I hoped, the TrailRax seems a perfect place to store the middle roof, if we're out on a trip on the beach. and want it off until it rains!
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_142538

The clamps use 1/4 inch rubber pads to provide cushioning and cut vibration.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_142454

Nice profile. There is a wind deflector that the company says is designed to cut wind noise at highway speed. It does, and there is no change in MPG.

UPDATE, Wind noise & MPG, 8/24/22: before and after install, I took two nearly identical 177 mile round trips on SC state highway 17 to Myrtle Beach. About half the travel is 67mph, my cruising speed on a 60mph highway. The rest 30-50mph beach traffic. Both trips, rack on then rack off, i got an identical 23.2 mpg on my OBX. Aerodynamically, then the TrailRax has NO effect on MPG.

Wind noise, there is absolutely NO whistling or humming or vibrating from the rack. My MIC roof has had persistent background wind rush noise over 60mph since I bought it. The rack has added wind noise, I think it has added general wind noise, if I listen hard with the radio off, so that if it was a 3 before, maybe its a 5 now at 67mph, and maybe yesterday on the interstate at 75mph, a 6.

Height: The topmost part of the rack is about 76.5 inches. Even when I add 33" Tires, I should fit in most parking garages.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX 20220822_140754

I can add the side racks anytime, as a pair on both sides. Adds storage, and strengthens the rack adding weight capacity. The brackets go under the MIC rear shell and bolt it all down. Photo clipped from TrailRax video.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX SmartSelect_20220822-220411_YouTube

Screenshot_20220909-132852_Gallery.jpg

The dimensions of the TrailRax, installed: 36 inches long (front to back) and 48 inches wide (side to side), not including clamps, which are not obtrusive.
Sponsored

Last edited:

VDPHB

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volt
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great pics and commentary, thanks for posting!

Following since I also won't remove the rear cap, but would like the possibility to stow Max Trax and Rotopax.

Very interested in hearing more about your experience with wind noise top on and off as well as overall utility.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Since I bought my OBX in October 2021, my plan was to put a small roof rack over the rear cap, so that I could remove the front and middle panels and still have a small roof rack. I leave the rear cap on the car, so this works for me.

The Ford Performance/Yakima rack featured in the 2020-2021 concept vehicles I couldn't find, but the TrailRax https://www.trailrax.com/ becameavailable a few weeks ago so I bought one through Bronco Nation for $765. There is a video to install their full-roof rack, and I used the applicable portions from that. I decided to not purchase the side saddles, but I could easily do that if I have the need.

The rack seems very sturdy and well designed with a low profile. I'll know if it makes noise over the next few days of highway driving. I wanted to get something on the roof because I like the tie-offs for awnings at the beach, and because we're driving to Texas late October for a 10 day trip to Bronco Off-Roadeo.

The rack adds 4.3 inches to the Bronco. The OBX was 72" high at the rear roof cap, it is now 76.5 inches, just shy of 6'5" high.

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX Screenshot_20220909-132852_Gallery

Its a bit industrial looking, but fits well, matches the MIC top finish, and clamps on strongly.
Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX Screenshot_20220909-132852_Gallery

A second pair of hands is a help, when reading directions, fastening dozens of fasteners, and especially when installing the rack on the roof.

I can have an open top with three panels off, and a roof rack as well! Of course, as soon as I removed the panels to test the process, the rain started to pour . . . So some photos show rain!

The middle panel removes with the rack in place, but its tight. Part of my problem is the gearshade screen. The latches can get caught in it when removing.

As I hoped, the TrailRax seems a perfect place to store the middle roof, if we're out on a trip on the beach. and want it off until it rains!

Nice profile. There is a wind deflector that the company says is designed to cut wind noise at highway speed.

The topmost part of the rack is about 76.5 inches. Even when I add 33" Tires, I should fit in most parking garages.

I can add the side racks anytime, as a pair on both sides. Adds storage, and strengthens the rack adding weight capacity. The brackets go under the MIC rear shell and bolt it all down. Photo clipped from TrailRax video.
Nice writeup.

BlueBoy

First Edition
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco 351W
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Great info! I had the same thoughts with storing the front panels in the back and the Center roof panel on the rack. Nice to see it works well, now how to strap the two together

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great info! I had the same thoughts with storing the front panels in the back and the Center roof panel on the rack. Nice to see it works well, now how to strap the two together
I store the front panels behind the front seats, I don't have back seat passengers! I have the storage bag for the mid-panel, that should make it easy to bungee in place on the rack, theoretically. Like if im staying at a hotel, and gone for a day at the beach sand trip, and want to have the roof along for when it rains. I do plan to try that, around town at the OBX Seashore. NOT at 70mph on the highway!

Sponsored

DanielIvan

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Appreciate the pics and the info!

GrayGhostDog

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excellent write-up! I'll be keeping an eye out on if you have any updates after some time of use. I'm highly considering this option. It is also possible to remove the rear cap if you want to, even with the optional side units... just remove the side pieces. The brackets under the rear cap can stay bolted in place.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Love the functionality... I'm in the market for the same kind of thing. I just don't love the way any of these available 1/2 rack options look. Really want something more factory-looking (aka the fishing concept rack) from the likes of Thule or Yakima. Nice write up, though!

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Apparently, you can now order this on Ford Accessories! 20% off!

SmartSelect_20220823-153716_Chrome.jpg

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Apparently, you can now order this on Ford Accessories! 20% off!

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX SmartSelect_20220823-153716_Chrome
I wish that were true but I'm 99% sure you don't get the attachment points shown in the picture which is the problem. The description only mentions the platform itself and if u scroll over to the 2nd pic it shows the platform mounted to a Bronco Sport with factory rack. It looks to me that Ford used their fishing concept build to snap a bunch of the accessories images on that site which sadly showcases the rear crossbars that we can't get. I did email Ford though to ask if we do order the $1100 accessory you posted will it come with the attachment points shown in the pic. Will update if I hear back!

Sponsored
OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish that were true but I'm 99% sure you don't get the attachment points shown in the picture which is the problem. The description only mentions the platform itself and if u scroll over to the 2nd pic it shows the platform mounted to a Bronco Sport with factory rack. It looks to me that Ford used their fishing concept build to snap a bunch of the accessories images on that site which sadly showcases the rear crossbars that we can't get. I did email Ford though to ask if we do order the $1100 accessory you posted will it come with the attachment points shown in the pic. Will update if I hear back!
Yes, everything you just said is why I bought the TrailRax. It exists! I cant find any description of what we're actually buying with the Ford/Yakima, including whether the attachment bars/mounts are available or included. But the link let me "order" . . . If you buy, You'd be doing a great service to Bronco Humanity!

Basequatch_bronco

Base
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Basequatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Base
Update, 8/24, Wind & MPG results & info at end!

The rack seems very sturdy and well designed with a low profile. I'll know if it makes noise over the next few days of highway driving (update on very minimal wind noise below). I wanted to get something on the roof because I like the tie-offs for awnings at the beach, and because we're driving to Texas late October for a 10 day trip to Bronco Off-Roadeo.

The rack adds 4.3 inches to the Bronco. The OBX was <72" high at the rear roof cap, it is now 76.5 inches, just shy of 6'5" high.

Ford Bronco Installed TrailRax "Half-Rack" on OBX SmartSelect_20220823-153716_Chrome

Nice profile. There is a wind deflector that the company says is designed to cut wind noise at highway speed. It does, and there is no change in MPG.

UPDATE, Wind noise & MPG, 8/24/22: before and after install, I took two nearly identical 177 mile round trips on SC state highway 17 to Myrtle Beach. About half the travel is 67mph, my cruising speed on a 60mph highway. The rest 30-50mph beach traffic. Both trips, rack on then rack off, i got an identical 23.2 mpg on my OBX. Aerodynamically, then the TrailRax has NO effect on MPG.

Wind noise, there is absolutely NO whistling or humming or vibrating from the rack. My MIC roof has had persistent background wind rush noise over 60mph since I bought it. The rack has added wind noise, I think it has added general wind noise, if I listen hard with the radio off, so that if it was a 3 before, maybe its a 5 now at 67mph, and maybe yesterday on the interstate at 75mph, a 6.

Height: The topmost part of the rack is about 76.5 inches. Even when I add 33" Tires, I should fit in most parking garages.

The dimensions of the TrailRax, installed: 36 inches long (front to back) and 48 inches wide (side to side), not including clamps, which are not obtrusive.
Excellent write up and photos. Curious as to how you are securing the roof panels on the roof rack? thanks.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Excellent write up and photos. Curious as to how you are securing the roof panels on the roof rack? thanks.
I have not tried putting the mid-panel on the rack yet, while driving on the Beach! My plan was to put it in the Ford storage bag (for cushioning), then put on roof and strap with bungie cords. In time, I may try to adapt one of the TrailRax case clamps, or similar! In my home test, it fits well! Will be on Amelia Island this Monday-Tuesday, will try! I would not do that at highway speed, however! My front panels go behind the front seats, regularly.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It worked well today, driving on the beach. Will work on a few more bungee or strap attachments, but the mid-panel fits like a glove on the TrailRax half-rack

20220919_160616.jpg

20220919_160324.jpg

20220919_160204.jpg

KFreakin

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder if you can carry kayaks on just a half rack. Would be nice to transport kayaks on a half rack while the rest of the roof is removed
Sponsored