Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands - SAS w/ LUX Package
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Team,
Sharing some photos of the bike rack I installed this morning. I had the carrier already (Yakima "Tilt-Away") but had to order the hitch extender (Yakima StraightShot) to accommodate for the 35" Sasquatch spare tire. There are less expensive hitch extenders out there too... no need to go branded as I did.

Anyway sharing these photo's in the event others are considering racks. This Yakima rack allows for the rear door of the Bronco to open to roughly the 50% mark. Gives some access to the rear cargo area, but still not perfect in that the rack itself is fully "tilted" in the final photo shown below. Still I think it works well enough.

Good luck your rack choice and I'd love to see what others are running.
Thanks,
Matt

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 1

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 2

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 3

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 4

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 5
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great. I’ve always placed one or two stick on red reflectors on mine to hopefully prevent getting rear ended at night in traffic.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think I might just get a spare tire delete, if I use a bike rack. How far past the end of the truck is the length with it loaded with bikes? 3-4 Feet?

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi Team,
Sharing some photos of the bike rack I installed this morning. I had the carrier already (Yakima "Tilt-Away") but had to order the hitch extender (Yakima StraightShot) to accommodate for the 35" Sasquatch spare tire. There are less expensive hitch extenders out there too... no need to go branded as I did.

Anyway sharing these photo's in the event others are considering racks. This Yakima rack allows for the rear door of the Bronco to open to roughly the 50% mark. Gives some access to the rear cargo area, but still not perfect in that the rack itself is fully "tilted" in the final photo shown below. Still I think it works well enough.

Thanks,
Matt

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Rack 5

Interested in hearing your experience with this combination, as Yakima not only doesn't list it as compatible with the extender, but also expressly stresses not using racks that aren't designed only 2" receivers (this, like mine, has an adapter to bring it up to 2").

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS 1637432207926

I'm sure it's probably fine for most use, but wondering if there might be added stress/ sway/ etc.

Sponsored

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Any chance for something like this that doesn't block the backup camera when not loaded with bikes?

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Man iv been trying to see what kind of bike rack ima need to buy for the bronco. Didn't even think about needing a extender lmao.

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Any chance for something like this that doesn't block the backup camera when not loaded with bikes?
Thule back rack maybe? Except mine folds up when I don't have my bike on and it blocks my trucks rear camera lol

OP
OP
mrdibbles

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think I might just get a spare tire delete, if I use a bike rack. How far past the end of the truck is the length with it loaded with bikes? 3-4 Feet?
It's 3-feet exactly to from the outer tip of the extended rack to the outermost edge of the mounted spare tire.

OP
OP
mrdibbles

mrdibbles

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interested in hearing your experience with this combination, as Yakima not only doesn't list it as compatible with the extender, but also expressly stresses not using racks that aren't designed only 2" receivers (this, like mine, has an adapter to bring it up to 2").

1637432207926.png

I'm sure it's probably fine for most use, but wondering if there might be added stress/ sway/ etc.
You raise a good point. I tried calling Yakima's customer support line and they are only open on weekdays. I am not sure why it wouldn't work, but I am also not an engineer. However reading more about this, elsewhere online, it does seem to point to the overall carrying capacity of this rack, with the extender, being reduced by 50% (or 100lbs. max.). That would render it useless for me. We would want to have the option to not just carry our beach cruisers but also our e-Bikes as well. The 100lb. loss of carrying capacity would make the e-Bikes out of the question. I'll call Yakima though on Monday to confirm.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JBowles

Badlands
First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work for a competitor of Yakima, and yeah I wouldn't recommend using any 1-1/4 hitch rack with an extender, especially if E-Bikes are part of the equation.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I work for a competitor of Yakima, and yeah I wouldn't recommend using any 1-1/4 hitch rack with an extender, especially if E-Bikes are part of the equation.
Kuat Pivot

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Team,

Thanks,
Matt

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Hitch 6.PNG

Ford Bronco Installed Yakima Tilt-Away Bike Carrier & Yakima StraightShot Hitch Extender - Bronco w/ SAS Hitch 6.PNG

Thank you for posting. I have a similar Yakima tilt rack that I was wondering if it would work. I have a 2 door on order. Not sure from looking at the pictures if the window will be able to be flipped up with the door not opening full way.

CaptainSolo

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 STX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve been contemplating this a lot, thanks for posting. I’m currently considering a tire mount rack, that way i can throw it on the spare tire of my camper when i have it in tow and still bring the bikes.
Sponsored