Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only 1 way to find out. Do it and report back. Looks like a good location but I worry gas fumes will degrade the plastic.
I wouldn’t worry. Vehicles have entire systems designed to capture gas fumes and prevent them from escaping the filler pipe.

Additionally the key pad should be constructed out of plastic designed to hold up to road grime… oils, tars, gas, and other harsh chemicals.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If it doesn't fit above the "hinge" on the fuel cap door, it should fit below it. From my own observation, it looks like a tight fit. I had planned on mounting the sticky tootsie roll inside the fuel door as factory install location seems like an afterthought.

Thanks to @AzScorpion for originally providing the photo from many months ago. And thanks to @Machine Gun Fury for taking photos of a test fitment.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I un-ordered the wireless keypad a while back with just such a plan in mind. My fall back is to put it on the B-Pillar black plastic (where the built in one should be) where it will blend in, instead of the middle of the glorious paint.

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Couple things to consider since I too thought I could mount and program it myself.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/installing-keypad-entry-after-sale.19850/page-4#post-711773

Page 4 of this thread has some good info on some of the limitations.
Bottom line, you prob can't program it yourself & will require the dealer to install/link it thru their IDS.

This is true. You can not program it yourself, not even with Forscan. It's better to order it from the factory and take if off the door and mount it someplace else. This way it's already programed and you're not paying out $80-$100 for the dealer to program it.

Just use some dental floss or fishing line and it'll come right off. It shouldn't leave any sticky residue but if it does goof off or iso alcohol will work then just relax that area.

Edit: I see that's the thread where we already had this discussion. lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Machine Gun Fury

Machine Gun Fury

Wildtrak
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is true. You can not program it yourself, not even with Forscan. It's better to order it from the factory and take if off the door and mount it someplace else. This way it's already programed and you're not paying out $80-$100 for the dealer to program it.

Just use some dental floss or fishing line and it'll come right off. It shouldn't leave any sticky residue but if it does goof off or iso alcohol will work then just relax that area.

Edit: I see that's the thread where we already had this discussion. lol
I think that is the smartest, lowest cost move. Especially if you are getting your vehicle at or below invoice it will probably less than $100 to add it with it already programmed from the factory.

Mattbar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Keypad_Fuel Door.jpg

Ever since I seen this image I have been wondering if this would work on the Bronco with the new keypad. in case anyone else was wondering I took matters in my own hands. Shout out to the service department for letting me borrow one for my experiment.

20210810_165205.jpg

20210810_165233.jpg

It seems like it will work, what do you guys think?
Let me know if you can get it programmed. I have had the Dealership AND a Ford Field Service Engineer fail to install this. I was told that the alphanumeric 48 key code was not enough. That there should have been a numeric only 48 key code in addition to the one on the card. They had me order another one and it also only has one 48 alpha numeric code. I am about to return it and be done with it. Really frustrating when no one knows what is going on!

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since it’s wireless, just carry it around in your pocket like a key fob. Problem solved! :sneaky:

TomD9807

Outer Banks
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150 / 2016 Infiniti Q50
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Keypad_Fuel Door.jpg

Ever since I seen this image I have been wondering if this would work on the Bronco with the new keypad. in case anyone else was wondering I took matters in my own hands. Shout out to the service department for letting me borrow one for my experiment.

20210810_165205.jpg

20210810_165233.jpg

Good Idea until someone drives away with the pump hose in their car or drives with the hatch door open and rips it off in traffic but I like the idea better than Ford's current door placement

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey that's my picture. lol

It should work and the black shell just pops off which will give you a little extra room for mounting if needed.
Excellent idea. I just hate the look of these on the B pillar.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Months ago this was shot down when somebody took measurements that showed it wouldn't fit. Great news that it turned out to not be the case.
Measurements seem to not be this forums strong suit. :LOL:

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Good Idea until someone drives away with the pump hose in their car or drives with the hatch door open and rips it off in traffic but I like the idea better than Ford's current door placement
Ford Bronco Installing Keyless Entry Pad in the fuel door IMG_0840.GIF

Your scenarios seems to require the Bronco to be driving in reverse. Otherwise, the fuel door would just close on impact or be unaffected by the pump hose. :LOL:

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

….but why? I use mine all the time on my F150. It’s about convenience…accessible. If I had to go to the fuel filler door then it would be much easier to just pull my key out of my pocket.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This. Not a good idea.
The fuel door, the filler surround, and the gas cap are all plastic. Not sure how this is any different.
Sponsored