Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't know about the Bronco, but my F150 has a compartment for the fob to hide in, and then can be locked inside.
I have an F-150 as well! Is this compartment the center console? :)
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The ideal use case for this, imo, would be to leave your key in the car, lock it up, then unlock using this keypad on the way back from the trail.

Problem though is that most newer cars auto-detect for the key fob being in the cabin, and won’t let you lock the key inside.

Thoughts?
The other problem is that if someone breaks in, they can now drive off with your key inside.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely.

It's just stuck on with adhesive and programmed to act like an additional key fob.

I'm probably going to add it after I take delivery and stick it someplace else (tucked behind the spare tire for example).
If you add it from the factory it comes preprogramed. If ordered after you have to pay the dealer to program it. You're better off getting it from the factory and moving it to another area. Dental floss or fishing line and they come right off.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the factory keypad the typical wired unit? I know the accessory one runs on batteries like they have for a while. All of the factory ones I've had were wired, while the accessory was offered as a stick on battery powered unit.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the factory keypad the typical wired unit? I know the accessory one runs on batteries like they have for a while. All of the factory ones I've had were wired, while the accessory was offered as a stick on battery powered unit.
Assuming it's like the Ranger ones they're both stick on and battery powered.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you add it from the factory it comes preprogramed. If ordered after you have to pay the dealer to program it. You're better off getting it from the factory and moving it to another area. Dental floss or fishing line and they come right off.
Good point.

Depending on your relationship with your dealer it may not cost anything… their only cost is the time to hook the computer up and reflash.

I imagine people will pay anywhere in between $0 and 1 hour of Shop Rate to have it done.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good point.

Depending on your relationship with your dealer it may not cost anything… their only cost is the time to hook the computer up and reflash.

I imagine people will pay anywhere in between $0 and 1 hour of Shop Rate to have it done.
Seems like the average on the Ranger forum is another $100 for programing them. There's no way to do it through Forscan either as many have tried.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I know I posted this back last fall but now that people are getting their Broncos maybe someone could measure theirs. The dimensions of the keypad (with cover) are 4 5/8 long x 1 3/8 tall x 3/8 thick. Inside the fuel door is the most out of the way spot but the Bronco has a recessed area where the Ranger is flat. The black cover just pops right off to make it smaller.

Bronco fuel door. Someone measured a preproduction one and IIRC it was close.

Ford Bronco Installing keypad entry after sale? Bronco Gas Door

Ranger mounted

Ford Bronco Installing keypad entry after sale? Keypad:Fuel Door

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is not wired it just sticks on with 2-way tape.

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I know I posted this back last fall but now that people are getting their Broncos maybe someone could measure theirs. The dimensions of the keypad (with cover) are 4 5/8 long x 1 3/8 tall x 3/8 thick. Inside the fuel door is the most out of the way spot but the Bronco has a recessed area where the Ranger is flat. The black cover just pops right off to make it smaller.

Bronco fuel door. Someone measured a preproduction one and IIRC it was close.

Ranger mounted

Cool idea. It would be close. May require a little trimming. You could also mount one in the spare tire mount or swing gate.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

what is the point of this? generally with your key fob in the pocket, a car recognizes your close proximity and allows the door to be opened. why would you need this. the cars start with the fob in your pocket, right? of do we have an old school key type ignition (cool as shit, in my opinion)... but, i thought these were pushbutton start. no i have not taken delivery and don't have an owner's manual...

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to order it but it was C$250 and to buy it through the parts department is ~C$115 so I decided not to order it from the factory.

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

ford used to have a non dealer method for programming new keys. perhaps there is a similar function for this keypad to be added. people used to call it progralmming the key, but what it was actually doing was telling the car to recognize the key. in a freak occurrence, my 2005 mustang gt, and 2006 f-150 had the same mechanical cut (pattern) on the key and i was able to cross program both vehicles to accept the same keys... it was nice only needing to carry one key.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The ideal use case for this, imo, would be to leave your key in the car, lock it up, then unlock using this keypad on the way back from the trail.

Problem though is that most newer cars auto-detect for the key fob being in the cabin, and won’t let you lock the key inside.

Thoughts?
I can lock my fob in my 2019F150 and use the keypad to get in. I do it all the time when out mtn biking or skiing.
Sponsored