First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
what is the point of this? generally with your key fob in the pocket, a car recognizes your close proximity and allows the door to be opened. why would you need this. the cars start with the fob in your pocket, right? of do we have an old school key type ignition (cool as shit, in my opinion)... but, i thought these were pushbutton start. no i have not taken delivery and don't have an owner's manual...
For when you're hiking or boating or doing something where you don't want your key in your pocket. Just lock them inside and go and yes it does work with them locked inside. Also comes in handy if your parked far from your house and you want to get inside and your keys are inside.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

what is the point of this? generally with your key fob in the pocket, a car recognizes your close proximity and allows the door to be opened. why would you need this. the cars start with the fob in your pocket, right? of do we have an old school key type ignition (cool as shit, in my opinion)... but, i thought these were pushbutton start. no i have not taken delivery and don't have an owner's manual...
For all those times when:

You go out to your car to get something and realize you left your key inside.

You are dropping by your partner’s place of employment and want quick access to their vehicle to retrieve something.

You want to lock your keys in your vehicle at the beach or something.

You lock your keys in the car. (This may or may not be possible… but I have been able to lock the car while inside it, open the door with the handle, get out, flip the mechanical lock mechanism, then shut the door without the Auto Unlock safety feature taking over.)

Basically, if you don’t see the use for the keypad, it’s not for you… but for others they can’t live without it.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was going to order it but it was C$250 and to buy it through the parts department is ~C$115 so I decided not to order it from the factory.
My plan as well.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ford used to have a non dealer method for programming new keys. perhaps there is a similar function for this keypad to be added. people used to call it progralmming the key, but what it was actually doing was telling the car to recognize the key. in a freak occurrence, my 2005 mustang gt, and 2006 f-150 had the same mechanical cut (pattern) on the key and i was able to cross program both vehicles to accept the same keys... it was nice only needing to carry one key.
New fobs, including these, will need the HEX code / UID programmed into the vehicle. No user capable “in the field” programming anymore.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Biggest value is two-fold for me:

First, I often leave my fob in the vehicle so I don't have to carry it, especially if I'm going to be doing stuff where losing it is a possibility. I can lock and unlock the doors with the pad and leave the fob in the vehicle.

The second is access for others occasionally. For example, we tailgate at football games with family and friends. I can give the code to my parents and they can exit the game earlier and get into the vehicle for whatever reason even if I want to stay in the game. Or, if my wife needs to swap me vehicles for some reason and doesn't have the other key.

Just my personal two examples. I agree it's less valuable with proximity keys, but there are still uses.

Sponsored

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mini CooperS Convertible, 2022 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’m curious if the keypad wouldn’t be better on the B Pillar? Thoughts

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Honestly I use it all the time on my truck. Outside working in the yard and don’t have my key? Keypad. Want to lighten my pockets while at work? Keypad. Don’t want to risk my car keys in the river? Keypad. The only similar option is the phone app but that takes foreverrrrrrr and if I’m in the mountains with no signal it just straight won’t work.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For all those times when:

You go out to your car to get something and realize you left your key inside.

You are dropping by your partner’s place of employment and want quick access to their vehicle to retrieve something.

You want to lock your keys in your vehicle at the beach or something.

You lock your keys in the car. (This may or may not be possible… but I have been able to lock the car while inside it, open the door with the handle, get out, flip the mechanical lock mechanism, then shut the door without the Auto Unlock safety feature taking over.)

Basically, if you don’t see the use for the keypad, it’s not for you… but for others they can’t live without it.
I’ve had one on all 6 Fords I’ve owned since 2000 - I don’t want to live without it.

I do a lot of high-risk sports and I don’t want my vehicle to be undriveable because the keys are with my injured body at the bottom of a canyon (god forbid) after a climbing or biking fall. I want my buddies (who all know the door code) to get whatever they need out of the truck to help me, or to drive to help. Lots of places in Canada don’t have cell coverage and a Spot radio still doesn’t allow someone to drive my truck if I’m not able to. Hence the keypad.

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have had these on several Ford/Lincoln vehicles. For me, it’s mainly used to lock the door…it’s a 2 button press. Much easier than pulling the key out of my pocket. With keyless start, the key never leaves my pocket the entire day. It’s also nice to hide the key inside and lock the doors….like at the beach, airport, hiking trails…really anywhere you don’t want to take a chance and lose it.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Some of them are hardwired through the door... not sure if your Sportrac is that way... but the Bronco one is battery powered and yes, theoretically would need the battery replaced eventually.
You cannot replace the battery, they musty be replaced entirely. Ford techs have told me that they last ten years or so.

They're about $100 and MUST be programmed by the dealer via Ford's IDS program.

Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m curious if the keypad wouldn’t be better on the B Pillar? Thoughts
I have been thinking about visiting a junkyard to see if there is a b-pillar mounted keypad that I can adapt.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BigTex

First Edition
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have been thinking about visiting a junkyard to see if there is a b-pillar mounted keypad that I can adapt.
Hmmm…wonder if those would need the wiring which The Bronco doesn’t have. Cant say I’d be willing to go to that length. Figuring out which way to place my thumb on the door handle to lock would be my first resort. Phone app would be 2nd. Look on the bright side, Ford give free access via the app. GM whores make you pay to unlock the vehicle. I have a $100k Cadillac Escalade that requires a service contract to unlock. Oh, and it’s for sale next month…..FK GM!

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ALL keypads are installed after dealer takes delivery.
they install them at the plant if you order your Bronco with it. I have seen several on display at the plant that have had them installed on the drivers door.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hmmm…wonder if those would need the wiring which The Bronco doesn’t have. Cant say I’d be willing to go to that length. Figuring out which way to place my thumb on the door handle to lock would be my first resort. Phone app would be 2nd. Look on the bright side, Ford give free access via the app. GM whores make you pay to unlock the vehicle. I have a $100k Cadillac Escalade that requires a service contract to unlock. Oh, and it’s for sale next month…..FK GM!
Two wires from a constant source is not a hard thing to do.
Sponsored