Sponsored

Installing overhead aux switches after sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Shade holder.
Flip from the drawing do you think the sunglasses compartment pulls out from the main framing to insert the Aux switch or looking like a complete swap out in order to switch out. I am going to try pull in out but not wanting to break anything quite yet but really want to know if the harness is up there to plug and play those switches for those who did not have it with purchase.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flip from the drawing do you think the sunglasses compartment pulls out from the main framing to insert the Aux switch or looking like a complete swap out in order to switch out. I am going to try pull in out but not wanting to break anything quite yet but really want to know if the harness is up there to plug and play those switches for those who did not have it with purchase.
I tried pulling mine this morning before work and wussed out. Didn't have the manual to see if there were screws holding instead of just clips. Will need to compare the two before making any type of educated guess.

ETA: Whole top panel needs to come down before the guts can be removed.

Ford Bronco Installing overhead aux switches after sales? 1627994505165

Last edited:

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was super interested to complete this upgrade as well. My Bronco was found as an abandoned special order and did not come with the switches. I am mechanically inclined to complete the install, and the price of the switches are reasonable, but the console is not, being over $300.

Sponsored

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was super interested to complete this upgrade as well. My Bronco was found as an abandoned special order and did not come with the switches. I am mechanically inclined to complete the install, and the price of the switches are reasonable, but the console is not, being over $300.
I still want to still get it but waiting to see if @flip wants to do it first. Lol. Seems like a bit of a project to get that console down. Plus need to get parts and not sure when our Ford dealer can get them.

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I tried pulling mine this morning before work and wussed out. Didn't have the manual to see if there were screws holding instead of just clips. Will need to compare the two before making any type of educated guess.

Ford Bronco Installing overhead aux switches after sales? 1627994505165
Flip did you by chance have any progress on this project? So the drawing shows we have to drop the complete overhead to take those screws out.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Flip did you by chance have any progress on this project? So the drawing shows we have to drop the complete overhead to take those screws out.
I’m really not interested in doing this mainly because I have nothing to do it on or spare time. The question was if it was possible, I just provided the theoretical possibility and info from the wiring and shop manuals. Maybe down the road when we have some stock units to experiment on but really hate to think about doing on a ordered unit without the owners understanding it may not work.

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don’t understand why anyone would want to install the auxiliary switches after the fact when it is a $195 option. I don’t get it.
Because we missed it when going through the options and our sales person was of no help. I am sure most folks just overlooked it (as I did) I doubt $195.00 was a deterrent.

Bob 07064

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 4x4 ranger, '17 edge 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

1627994505165.png
I’m really not interested in doing this mainly because I have nothing to do it on or spare time. The question was if it was possible, I just provided the theoretical possibility and info from the wiring and shop manuals. Maybe down the road when we have some stock units to experiment on but really hate to think about doing on a ordered unit without the owners understanding it may not work.
understood I really want to do it but want to make sure I don’t break something in the process getting replaced out. The drawings have helped out a lot identifying things for sure many thanks. Thanks again Flip.

OP
OP
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BB 4D, '97 BMW 323ti, '90 Miata, '02 NSX
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I finally picked up the switches, but it’s *just* the switches, no trim panel, and from a quick look it doesn’t match the opening for the sunglasses hatch so one would assume there’s another trim panel part to accompany the switches. I was going to get the guy at the counter to look when I picked up but Lordy I’m pretty sure his head would have exploded.

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I finally picked up the switches, but it’s *just* the switches, no trim panel, and from a quick look it doesn’t match the opening for the sunglasses hatch so one would assume there’s another trim panel part to accompany the switches. I was going to get the guy at the counter to look when I picked up but Lordy I’m pretty sure his head would have exploded.
The accompanying part needed is the Overhead console panel in addition to the switches (https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-console-assembly-overhead-m2dz78519a70jc)
Ford Bronco Installing overhead aux switches after sales? Screen Shot 2021-08-24 at 8.07.55 PM

Canonman11

Outer Banks
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Has anyone adding switches seen the plug going into the switch is up in the console for ones with the sunglass holder. All wiring is present throughout the truck so I am hopeful it is there and all we need is the switch and console piece?
Waiting for that same answer. If its ready for plug and play, then ill get the required parts, if not, then ill pass.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.