J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My questions all along, regarding the Trektop vs the OEM softy, is this;

How hard is it to transition between a hard top and a soft top, and which is easiest between the two currently available options?

The Wrangler JKU Trektop NX that I had on my 2017 was super easy to remove completely. I had it down to about 10 minutes and it required tools whatsoever. Any brackets that required tools to remove could stay on the vehicle and the hard top would slide over without interference.

I understand the vehicles are completely different, but I'm looking for closest equivalent. I ordered with the MIC top, but I hope to be able to seasonally switch between that and a soft top. The fewer people and wrenches I have to involve, the better.
The OEM Soft only requires the remove of some plastic covers and 6 bolts to undo. But is quite heavy. It can be removed by one person, but requires some strength and balance to haul it down from standing in the cargo area. Not for everyone.

I suspect the Bestop will be physically easier to remove once all bundled up in the open position. But, it will also require the removal of several plates and brackets. I'm guessing an hour, but haven't tried it.

EXACTLY!!!
It is sooo much easier then the “propping the hood open” version of the factory soft top! I’m not so sure mine is as quiet as the factory, but so much more user friendly and aesthetically appealing - to me anyway...🤷🏻‍♂️
Yeah I can't claim it is much quieter, but not much louder either. Hard to tell. I do suspect the arched contour of the Bestop creates some turbulence... I always hear some wind noise right behind my head.

As far as the OP topic of installing, I suggested Bestop strengthen their bottom brackets for the side windows, or at least instruct owners to install the side windows from front to rear on the first (very tight) install.

I went from rear to front on one side, and the tension from the un-stretched window tweaked the lower bar up 1/4“. The plastic window bracket at the front of the side windows is much sturdier and will take all that tension easily.

Note: this was just the first time. After one warm day, that excess tension disappeared. And, Bestop sent me a new bar, despite me telling them I could take care if it myself. 👍
Sponsored

Bronceaux

Base
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base Sasquatch, Chevrolet Z71
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just my two cents:

Top fully up - Bestop is tighter and cleaner looking. Advantage Bestop
Top as far back as either goes - We bought Broncos for the full open air experience, not partial. Also cant go back into the garage without closing the Bestop. Advantage OEM
Safari - Honestly hate the look no matter what and would rather just use a sunshade than ever consistently run Safari. Given that, Bestop is cleaner. Advantage Bestop
Fully removed - OEM can be removed in a matter of a few bolts and it is my understanding the process is much more difficult and time consuming for the Bestop. Advantage OEM

For me the ability to go fully open or completely remove the top is my deciding factor.
Valid points. I still love my Bestop.

Bronceaux

Base
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow this install thread has really turned into a debate. 😂

I'm guessing that many of the detractors haven't actually used the Bestop, and are ingoring the facts that have been stated several times:

The rear window on the Bestop can be undone and lifted up (as pictured previsoly in this thread) in a matter of seconds. This is a fully open rear window.... Not partially propped up.

As far as removing it, it would take only 4-8 easily accessed bolts to remove the top (when folded back and windows out) if you just wanted to go topless. If you want to remove all the hardware before installing a different top, yeah you are looking at an hour or more.

Another benefit was a noticeable increase in headroom with the Bestop. It is very uncluttered on the interior side in addition to being a tighter fit on the exterior.

I like the features of the OEM, but honestly do not miss it at all.
Total removal is not something I have addressed yet, for my Bestop (4 door). I am glad to hear it does not appear to be a major undertaking. I have asked Bestop to provide a Youtube video of removal, but no luck so far.

Bronceaux

Base
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did pay $1700 just for looks. My dealer talked me into ordering a soft top to get it quicker, so I did. But a few weeks later I went in to change my order to a hard top, but was surprised to learn I already had a VIN so no changes.
I bought my bronco for its looks, so spending money to improve the look was worth it, to me.
The look was definitely worth it to me. People are paying THOUSANDS just for looks. Wraps, wheel/tire sets, etc.

JHawk

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like how the roll bar does not get scratched up every time you open and close the bestop

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not going to lie, have watched plenty of videos on the Trektop last few days haha. Again I am in the minority I love my factory soft top, but have thought about the trektop lol.

Honestly think a top that can get folded all the way down like the oem, with no slant back but has the bestop window system would be a major winner. I would hand over my money for that

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really haven't needed to do it many times, as my groceries aren't normally taller than the tailgate. I can say that I wouldn't care if it took MINUTES, because I hate the look of the covered wagon top that Ford designed and implemented for the 4 door people. I'll try to make time for a video.
The OEM soft top actually really bothers me too. It does look like a covered wagon lol! However, I do appreciate the OEM safari top setup.

But still, I've been considering getting this fastback for looks alone.

CoachTee

Wildtrak
First Name
Teresa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I really love the fastback look, and the flat window. The price tag keeps telling me no though. I don’t see myself folding the stock top all the way down anyway (haven’t yet). Just popping the front half back off for the drive home. I really think I wanna pull the trigger if I just had $1800 right now.
That's how I roll to get a little fresh air on daily tasks!
Same angle, 1st pic OEM, 2nd pic Bestop.
Bestop is also personally easier for me to flip open in that position.

Keep in mind, you can turn around and sell your OEM Soft top to a hard top owner, many are looking for them for the ease of switching back and forth between the two. That's what I did! Net difference was about $800 and totally switched up the look in the direction I was going.

IMG_6250.jpg
20220512_133839.jpg

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4-door Badlands Sasquatch Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really wasn’t hoping to find out, but I guess tomorrow I get to find out how good their customer service is.
Removed the hardtop today, opened up the Trektop boxes, laid everything out, and got about 30 minutes into the install before I realized they shipped me a 2 door Trektop though I ordered a 4 door Trektop. 🤦‍♂️

I feel like an idiot for not checking first, but sure enough… it said 2-door in tiny print on the box and right on the instruction manual. I hope swapping it for the right one isn’t a hassle.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really wasn’t hoping to find out, but I guess tomorrow I get to find out how good their customer service is.
Removed the hardtop today, opened up the Trektop boxes, laid everything out, and got about 30 minutes into the install before I realized they shipped me a 2 door Trektop though I ordered a 4 door Trektop. 🤦‍♂️

I feel like an idiot for not checking first, but sure enough… it said 2-door in tiny print on the box and right on the instruction manual. I hope swapping it for the right one isn’t a hassle.
Don't tell me that... I just took the hard top off and stored it in preparation for putting the Trektop on my 2 door tomorrow. Needless to say, I definitely didn't check beforehand. Oh well, crossing my fingers...
Ford Bronco Installing the Bestop Trektop Slant Back Soft Top on Our 2021 Ford Bronco 20220523_192023

Sponsored

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don't tell me that... I just took the hard top off and stored it in preparation for putting the Trektop on my 2 door tomorrow. Needless to say, I definitely didn't check beforehand. Oh well, crossing my fingers...
Ford Bronco Installing the Bestop Trektop Slant Back Soft Top on Our 2021 Ford Bronco 20220523_192023
I hope I didn’t get your 2-door top! =)

the good news… reinstallstion of the entire 4-door hard top was like 10 minutes if even that. Probably closer to 6 or 7 with the impact drill.

I did contact Bestop today and they did see it was their mistake and got me shipping labels to ship back the wrong one and they got the correct one ordered. Not sure how long it is gonna take for it to get here. Hopefully not too long.

oh well. Spit happens. People make mistakes. Not the end of the world.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope I didn’t get your 2-door top! =)

the good news… reinstallstion of the entire 4-door hard
Well, it's been quite a day. A very, very long day. The top is on, and that's the highlight. First off, Bestop's customer service and warranty are bad ass! I have no complaints with the company at all. Unfortunately, one of the nutserts on the header turned loose about halfway into one of the fasteners. I couldn't get it tight, nor could I get it to back off. Seeing as that was after all of the top hardware was installed, there was no turning back. I called the 800 number and got an awesome lady with a trainee on the line. They are replacing the entire fabric portion and supports as that is the only way to get a new header. The down side is that they are back ordered until July. After some discussion, I got told to do whatever was necessary to get that bolt out so that I could install the top. She said don't worry about tearing it up. So, after attempting to drill it out didn't work out came the grinder. That got it off. She did tell me to be careful using the sunrider feature as it would be weaker without that fastener. I told her not to worry about it that I would be happy just to have something on it at this point. It is a very quiet soft top, although I do have some wind noise on the weaker side. It doesn't seat as fully as the intact side. That said, it's still quieter than the MIC top. Other than a fluke manufacturing defect, the quality is great. The way Bestop is handling it easily makes up for it. I'm pleased as can be and am thankful for an American company that still believes in top notch warranty and customer service. I would definitely do it all over again.
Ford Bronco Installing the Bestop Trektop Slant Back Soft Top on Our 2021 Ford Bronco 20220524_201421

idobleedblue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, it's been quite a day. A very, very long day. The top is on, and that's the highlight. First off, Bestop's customer service and warranty are bad ass! I have no complaints with the company at all. Unfortunately, one of the nutserts on the header turned loose about halfway into one of the fasteners. I couldn't get it tight, nor could I get it to back off. Seeing as that was after all of the top hardware was installed, there was no turning back. I called the 800 number and got an awesome lady with a trainee on the line. They are replacing the entire fabric portion and supports as that is the only way to get a new header. The down side is that they are back ordered until July. After some discussion, I got told to do whatever was necessary to get that bolt out so that I could install the top. She said don't worry about tearing it up. So, after attempting to drill it out didn't work out came the grinder. That got it off. She did tell me to be careful using the sunrider feature as it would be weaker without that fastener. I told her not to worry about it that I would be happy just to have something on it at this point. It is a very quiet soft top, although I do have some wind noise on the weaker side. It doesn't seat as fully as the intact side. That said, it's still quieter than the MIC top. Other than a fluke manufacturing defect, the quality is great. The way Bestop is handling it easily makes up for it. I'm pleased as can be and am thankful for an American company that still believes in top notch warranty and customer service. I would definitely do it all over again.
Ford Bronco Installing the Bestop Trektop Slant Back Soft Top on Our 2021 Ford Bronco 20220524_201421
Looks fantastic!

Biz

Outer Banks
First Name
Biz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 2dr / 2019 Edge St / 2016 Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As a 2dr owner this was a great read. Looking to get my twill Trektop shortly.

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
I do wish they would offer the Trektop in other colors, would be nice to be able to get them in Navy blue or Tan.
Sponsored