First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just thought I would put this up as no one has talked about intercoolers. Living in Arizona, an aftermarket larger capacity intercooler will definately help in the summer months. Has anyone seen a vendor promoting one for the Bronco yet?
Sponsored

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Arianone my ears are perked. We don't get near as hot as you, but one may be surprised that we get several weeks each year +110 in the Sacramento valley. I'm interested in the subject matter.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

530Squatch

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 HD Silverado Duramax Turbo Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think there has been talk of this, but the name of the vendor escapes me at the moment.

@530Squatch - you better hit up that American river! 😁

Edit: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/stage-3-motorsports-official-introduction.16259/

Stage 3 may end up offering a solution as, I'm sure, will others.
@Squatch thanks for the re-direct. I don't know enough about the 2.7 to know if an intercooler pre- or post-turbo is better and/or possible. Alls I know is I want to keep this baby as cool as feasible. Swamp @ss is no fun for anyone.

And yes, the American River is a beaut! Cold as all getout in spring but in the fall it's great for the running of the salmon. I'm not much a fisherman but I am a veteran playing the part of the token beer guy on the boat 🤷‍♂️🍻

Sponsored

Deleted member 3063

A larger inter cooler has a larger interior volume, obviously.
Seems to me that it would take more time to build pressure causing turbo lag and reduced throttle response. Turbo forums are full of this kind of discussion.
I would shop for an aftermarket inter cooler that offers reduced restriction and made of better heat transfer materials. Aluminum, hand built inter coolers can fit those requirements but are pricey.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

AK Stable

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT, 2002 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mishimoto has a large selection, and I'm sure will make something more Bronco specific.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I imagine an intercooler for the twin turbos would be difficult to fit under there and as other have mentioned would increase turbo lag significantly. There are a lot of cars that do fine in AZ without intercoolers. I don't think the 2.7 with it's direct injection, at least in stock form is going to have too many issues with detonation or anything from the AZ heat. In any case I'll be interested to see what people are able to come up with.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mustang-vs-gt-best-ecoboost-mustang-mods/

INTERCOOLER & CHARGE PIPES

-The stock intercooler on the Mustang is small. While it does okay on the stock tune, once we try and push more boost, especially in the high RPMs, the temperatures rise rapidly. With the new giant intercooler, this all changed.

-CP-E offers two intercoolers, and several charge pipe options for the Mustang. For these tests, we used our Stage-2 race intercooler. This is one of the biggest cores on the market, at 21″x17″x3.75″ or 1339 cubic inches. For comparison, the stock intercooler is 5.5″x20,6″x3,25″ or 368 cubic inches. This means our race intercooler has a 3.6 times larger core than stock! The smaller CP-E stock-fitment intercooler would have worked just fine for this test & allowed us to keep the grill shutters, but the owner of the car wanted to leave room for future upgrades.

View attachment 12864

We did several tests with the new intercooler, to compare the charge-air temperatures. The intercooler was able to pick up 30whp and 11wtq with zero tuning changes!

New numbers = 275whp and 315wtq.

The stock intercooler was really holding it back! Compared to the peak of 173 degrees of the stock intercooler, the new CP-E intercooler kept the peak temperature down at 90 degrees. Keep in mind, it was 83 degrees in the shop! We also loaded the COBB Stage-2 tune as well, which is made to optimize a larger intercooler. It picked up a few more HP here.

We then went back and loaded the stock tune – just to see if there was any difference with the bigger intercooler on a totally stock tune. Even with the throttle being closed most of the run (due to the aftermarket intake), the car picked up 10hp in the top-end vs the stock baseline. This shows that even if you don’t plan on tuning the car, the intercooler is still a worthwhile investment for efficiency, cooling, and power.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I imagine an intercooler for the twin turbos would be difficult to fit under there and as other have mentioned would increase turbo lag significantly. There are a lot of cars that do fine in AZ without intercoolers. I don't think the 2.7 with it's direct injection, at least in stock form is going to have too many issues with detonation or anything from the AZ heat. In any case I'll be interested to see what people are able to come up with.
The truck comes with an intercooler already, they are looking to augment or replace it, not add one where nothing exists.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@Squatch thanks for the re-direct. I don't know enough about the 2.7 to know if an intercooler pre- or post-turbo is better and/or possible.
Pre-turbo intercooler is absolutely necessary. Can you imagine if the air coming into the turbos was at AMBIENT TEMP??

I imagine an intercooler for the twin turbos would be difficult to fit under there and as other have mentioned would increase turbo lag significantly.
There's...already an intercooler. The measurements in that thread were about whether or not the intercooler could be relocated so that the winch didn't block flow to it.

There are a lot of cars that do fine in AZ without intercoolers.
Oh yeah? Which turbo cars without intercoolers do "fine?"

LostInArizona

Badlands
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The truck comes with an intercooler already, they are looking to augment or replace it, not add one where nothing exists.
Ahh cool! I hadn't seen the intercooler in the under-hood pics. Where is it? Front mount somewhere?
Sponsored