Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have been working through my build with my local dealership. Throughout the process, they have been super vague on pricing. My sales rep is working on the build sheet this morning, and I finally forced him to have the pricing conversation. He told me that their dealership made an agreement with all other dealers in the area that they would price at MSRP. I told him, "That's interesting. That sounds a lot like you just admitted to collusion and price fixing, which is illegal per anti trust laws." It looks like I will have to change my order to Granger and lodge a complaint with Ford.

Anyone else have this experience?

For those of you who have switched your dealer, do you need to call them first to confirm that they would accept it, or do you just deal with Ford Customer care, and then sit back and wait for the new dealership to contact you?

PS - I am in no hurry for the truck to arrive. I'd be fine with a MY22.
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You'll have a tough legal road with that claim when dealers are selling at MSRP. Can only imagine the host of lawyers at the ready on their side to defend this generally accepted business practice, especially as it is not considered price gouging or an unfair business practice.

OP
OP

MSPbronco

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You'll have a tough legal road with that claim when dealers are selling at MSRP. Can only imagine the host of lawyers at the ready on their side to defend this generally accepted business practice, especially as it is not considered price gouging or an unfair business practice.
It absolutely is an illegal and unfair business practice, and is in violation of anti-trust laws that prevent competitors or separate businesses from colluding to establish pricing. It prohibits competition and is a violation of the free market. I'm not naive enough to think this never happens, but I am surprised that they would willingly admit to it.

Sponsored

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yeah, If they had all agreed to add $5k ADM, that would be different, but MSRP would be tough legally. You could always just publicly shame them and let them lose reservations.

Also, unless you have that statement in an email or writing, it's going to be improbable to pursue legally with MSRP.

xusarmy

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

IMO, you waited to long to force the pricing conversation. We've all been talking about deals and plans, etc from the get go. Waiting this long for a pricing discussion is a recipe for disappointment.

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t think dealers agreeing to NOT raise prices above MSRP is illegal.
It's price fixing even when it benefits the consumer.

OP
OP

MSPbronco

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I don’t think dealers agreeing to NOT raise prices above MSRP is illegal.
It is. But that's not what they're doing. They agreed to do. They agreed to charge the same amount - MSRP. They allegedly won't go higher, or lower.

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless he can prove there was an agreement and it is their common practice to discount from MSRP outside of this specific agreement... it would take way too much in legal fees and some smoking-gun evidence that there was an agreement with malicious intent and likely dealer add-ons would need to be brought up, etc.

MSRP for cars goes back to Monroney, a US Senator from Oklahoma. Which basically institutionalized one case of acceptable price fixing which is selling a vehicle for MSRP. You would have to overcome all of that and it would cost more than your Bronco.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are 4 elements to a deal and we are only focused on one and you really need to look at all of them closely:
1. Price
2. Downpayment
3. Trade In
4. Monthly Payment/terms

I am fine with Price = MSRP with a dealer that I trust to give me excellent service. I am not looking to get a discount on my perfectly done steak. I will pay a fair value for that steak and I care more about the taste of that steak than the price.

I am getting 2.5% interest from a local credit union which is a really good deal and as good as "cash on the hood" offer with a higher interest rate from Ford Credit, when you do the math. It is also better for me than paying cash for the Bronco, because I think I can beat 2.5% with my money for the next 5 years.

I am selling my Mustang on VROOM for more than the dealer will give me. He was honest and told me that was the case. He even suggested that he could give me a better offer in Spring, but for now, go with VROOM if they are giving a good deal.

My downpayment will be based on what I get from the Mustang and how much I can earn by investing it until my order is ready.

OP
OP

MSPbronco

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Unless he can prove there was an agreement and it is their common practice to discount from MSRP outside of this specific agreement... it would take way too much in legal fees and some smoking-gun evidence that there was an agreement with malicious intent and likely dealer add-ons would need to be brought up, etc.

MSRP for cars goes back to Monroney, a US Senator from Oklahoma. Which basically institutionalized one case of acceptable price fixing which is selling a vehicle for MSRP. You would have to overcome all of that and it would cost more than your Bronco.
I'm not looking to file a suit, I'll just take my business elsewhere. But what they admitted to doing, if true, is illegal.

Thanks all for the replies. This was my first post, despite being a long-time lurker. Looking forward to being a Bronco owner.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you who have switched your dealer, do you need to call them first to confirm that they would accept it, or do you just deal with Ford Customer care, and then sit back and wait for the new dealership to contact you?
To change your reservation, you just call the Ford (800) number. Even if you don't call the correct one, tell the automated voice system you want to change your bronco dealer and you'll get routed to where you need to be. The process is quick and painless.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not looking to file a suit, I'll just take my business elsewhere. But what they admitted to doing, if true, is illegal.

Thanks all for the replies. This was my first post, despite being a long-time lurker. Looking forward to being a Bronco owner.
I think everyone who has posted the same or similar situation is sqitching dealerships and that's a great thing. I'm hoping it is a significant trend in Ford's data.
Sponsored