Sponsored

Interesting engine sounds after extended driving (~30 mins)

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey all. I'm a relatively new Bronco owner (purchased in early April), and so far it's been a pretty great experience. However, there is one aspect of the 2.3L engine that I wanted to post on here, in hopes that those with more Bronco/car knowledge may be able to provide some valuable insight.

Specifically, the engine seems to emit a higher pitched sound after I have been driving around for 30-40 minutes including on highway. I would consider the sound to be a whistling/fluttering which becomes even more apparent when revving the engine (video in garage below). At first listen I was concerned that there was something off with the engine requiring me to bring the vehicle to the dealership. There is no noticeable change to the drive of the car, however. This is my first vehicle with a turbocharged engine (2.3L EcoBoost), to which I've heard there's such a thing as 'turbo whistle'.

To summarize, I'm curious if the sound present in the video is something you all would expect and/or similar to those driving with a 2.3L engine, or if this is something I should bring in to the dealership. I've only got about 500 miles on this Bronco (2021 OBX 4-door) and preferably would not like this to be an issue. However, I'll do what I need to get everything working correctly. I tend to stress on larger purchases like this, so any knowledge (good or bad) will definitely be appreciated!
Sponsored

Last edited:

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Honestly, it sounds just like mine which is fine. Also, do you hear that "tick" at the end of each rev? That's the bypass valve opening. That annoyed me more than anything, so I eliminated that "tick" with the Turbo Smart Dual Port.

OP
OP

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Honestly, it sounds just like mine which is fine. Also, do you hear that "tick" at the end of each rev? That's the bypass valve opening. That annoyed me more than anything, so I eliminated that "tick" with the Turbo Smart Dual Port.
I appreciate the insight, that is definitely good to hear. And 100% agree that the 'ticking' is incredibly annoying despite it not necessarily being an issue, so I may take up your advice there. Thanks again!

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I appreciate the insight, that is definitely good to hear. And 100% agree that the 'ticking' is incredibly annoying despite it not necessarily being an issue, so I may take up your advice there. Thanks again!
Yeah, that's Ford's, cheap, BOV. The Turbo Smart is so much more efficient along with eliminating that "tick".

Sure thing!

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, that's Ford's, cheap, BOV. The Turbo Smart is so much more efficient along with eliminating that "tick".
The factory unit isn't a blow-off valve, it's a bypass valve. What makes it cheap? What makes a hybrid setup "more efficient?" How are you measuring efficiency?

Sponsored

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure thing!
Maybe I am missing something but I looked at Turbosmart’s website and don’t see a BOV listed for the 2021 2.3L. Do you recall the part number for the BOV you used?

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The factory unit isn't a blow-off valve, it's a bypass valve. What makes it cheap? What makes a hybrid setup "more efficient?" How are you measuring efficiency?
Poor choice of words.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sure thing! It was my first upgrade and well worth it. Under higher loads it will vent to atmosphere along with recirc, while under lighter loads it will just recirc.

Sponsored

unfortunate

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

GoPre

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly the sound mine was making before I had to replace the turbo at 80 miles.

OP
OP

Broncomike11

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Exactly the sound mine was making before I had to replace the turbo at 80 miles.
That is helpful to know. Did you notice any changes when driving the Bronco other than just the sound of the turbo/engine? Right now my hesitation is only on the sound, and fortunately (so far) have not experienced any check engine lights and/or changes to the driving performance.

GoPre

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other than the sound, the warning lights. It shows up as reduced boost. I wasn’t able to get the turbo above 2lbs boost on my way to bring it back to the dealer. It’s a known issue at this point and the service department has been great. It sounds like just a bad batch of turbos (ford contracts the manufacture).
Sponsored