First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 1st Edition, Mazda 6, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Was on a couple hundred mile trip through the mountains during a freezing rain storm. Lots of ice buildup on windshield and wipers over time. I'm mentioning this as it may or may not have had something to do with my Bronco's little hiccup.

At some point in the trip the wipers would go in to a false intermittent mode even when set to Low/Continuous. The intermittent speed would actually be slightly slower than the highest intermittent setting. What would happen is I would turn the wipers on, they would work as normal but over 20 to 25 wipes (it varied, I counted) they would become slightly slower over time until finally just going into a weird every 4 second intermittent wipe. I could toggle them to any other state and back again only for the process to repeat all over.

So this morning on my way to work, it was raining and all snow/ice is long melted. I turn on the wipers to the same effect that was happening while iced up. This time, I switched to rapid for about a minute or so and then went back to normal. To my astonishment, they continued to work normally for the remainder of the trip to work and the weird speed loss to intermittent quirk has fixed itself.

Maybe this will be helpful to anyone else this may happen to, but I have no idea why it started or why it cleared itself up.
Sponsored

Sreevie

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine does the same thing. It doesn’t matter if it’s rain, snow or ice the wipers will change speed. Even in heavy rain when i have them set to the highest setting they will show down to a 4 second delay between wipes. I have had my windshield replaced and i don’t seem to remember it doing this before that so I’m wondering if it has something to do with the rain sensor. I’m also curious if there is a way with forscan to disable the auto sensing wipers all together and just let me decided when and how fast or slow i want the wipers on

OP
OP

Raynfeathyr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 1st Edition, Mazda 6, Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Mine does the same thing. It doesn’t matter if it’s rain, snow or ice the wipers will change speed. Even in heavy rain when i have them set to the highest setting they will show down to a 4 second delay between wipes. I have had my windshield replaced and i don’t seem to remember it doing this before that so I’m wondering if it has something to do with the rain sensor. I’m also curious if there is a way with forscan to disable the auto sensing wipers all together and just let me decided when and how fast or slow i want the wipers on
Hmm, I didn't even realize we have a rain sensor. I'm thinking you are on to something. Although as I said. I was really iced up when I had an issue. The issue was still there after thawing out, but after cranking them to high for a while, it seems to have gone back to normal behavior.

But, playing with the first click (sensor setting I think?), seems to work just as a normal time delay on other vehicles work. This leads me to believe my rain sensor is not working and your hypothesis is correct regarding why we are having this strange behavior.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

assuming there's a rain sensor, is there an 'auto' setting for the wipers? (no mention in the online driver's manual)

Miket5r

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CRV. 2013 Triumph Speed Triple
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have the same problem. Was driving of a couple hours in slushy rain and on fast speed they went into intermittent mode. Seriously could cause a accident due to poor visibility

Sponsored

BRONCBOY21

Base
First Name
Ayres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the same problem with my wipers haha figured I was the only one that thought it was being funky.