Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I frequented the Subaru forums, there were dire warnings to NOT POST your weekends at the track on social media.
Subaru monitored those and if your user name was easily connected to you/your car, warranties were getting denied.
So , let this be a warning to you if you're going to go out and thrash on that thing while rolling film(data).

Ford is watching....always watching.
I remember a Subaru dealership sponsoring a autocross event, then taking everyone's plate numbers that participated and flagging their cars.
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I havent seen a ton of vehicle warranties, but the ones I have typically say they vehicle is to be free from manufacturing defects. Most of them typically explicitly exclude wear and tear as well as damage caused by abuse.

I guess there might be exceptions, but I haven't happened upon them myself.
So, I go buy a Mustang, leaving the dealership, I floor it. An axle snaps, it can't handle the combination of power and traction as it was built from the factory.

Should that be under warranty?

what if it happens a year down the road? 2 years?

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So, I go buy a Mustang, leaving the dealership, I floor it. An axle snaps, it can't handle the combination of power and traction as it was built from the factory.

Should that be under warranty?

what if it happens a year down the road? 2 years?
I think that would be more likely to fall under a manufacturer defect if it happened right out of the dealer's lot. 2 years down the road would be more arguable.

I think both of those scenarios are different than the guy that was the subject of this post.

By his own admission and posted videos, he was clearly using his gladiator in a manner that would be consistent with abuse. That's regardless of how fun it was.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think that would be more likely to fall under a manufacturer defect if it happened right out of the dealer's lot. 2 years down the road would be more arguable.

I think both of those scenarios are different than the guy that was the subject of this post.

By his own admission and posted videos, he was clearly using his gladiator in a manner that would be consistent with abuse. That's regardless of how fun it was.
I mean, there are semantics to be argued here of course, but I would not consider running any 4x4 through 1' of muddy water as abuse. I would not consider backing a truck down a boat ramp till the water hits the back bottom corner of the cab as abuse, and I would not consider putting a raptor through some reasonable whoops at speed as abuse. I would not consider putting a mustang or other sports car down a drag strip every weekend, or a road track, as abuse. Those are the capabilities the manufacturer sells the vehicle on, and therefore, doing those activities should allow for coverage under warranty, otherwise the case should be made for false advertising.

I understand the difficulties on the manufacturer's side, I am an engineer myself, of products that get pushed to and past their limits at times. And there are many situations you cannot draw a clear line in the sand with the customer on what is and isn't within design parameters. Yes, our valves can handle some sand, and some cavitation, exactly how much, especially when combined....well, that depends on about 50 other variables, that are all sliding scales, and how they line up....

Skeletor

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Whip
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I mean, there are semantics to be argued here of course, but I would not consider running any 4x4 through 1' of muddy water as abuse. I would not consider backing a truck down a boat ramp till the water hits the back bottom corner of the cab as abuse, and I would not consider putting a raptor through some reasonable whoops at speed as abuse. I would not consider putting a mustang or other sports car down a drag strip every weekend, or a road track, as abuse. Those are the capabilities the manufacturer sells the vehicle on, and therefore, doing those activities should allow for coverage under warranty, otherwise the case should be made for false advertising.

I understand the difficulties on the manufacturer's side, I am an engineer myself, of products that get pushed to and past their limits at times. And there are many situations you cannot draw a clear line in the sand with the customer on what is and isn't within design parameters. Yes, our valves can handle some sand, and some cavitation, exactly how much, especially when combined....well, that depends on about 50 other variables, that are all sliding scales, and how they line up....
I agree with your points. I dont think a lot of that stuff should be considered abuse per se. Vehicles should be able to handle things that would be considered normal, and Indont really think any of that stuff is outside of normal too much.

There is a lot we don't know about what that gentleman was doing in his truck, though. In the thread on the gladiator forum, he posted a video and some pictures along with a list of all the problems he was having. His video only showed him driving through one puddle, but his vehicle was almost 100% covered in mud in the picture he posted of his truck at the dealership.

I think he even admitted that he had done a lot more than what he posted too.
Sponsored