Reaction score
Website
www.AllRoadsLeadToTheMotorCity.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ford Mustang Mach1, 2023 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
*Insert grain of salt here*

Interesting little shop talk flying around the other day. I was told the Ranger will actually be called the F100 and the Bronco a F100 Bronco (like how the Raptor is to the F150). This way Ford can still count the sales under the F Series sales figures so to not cannibalize their 38+ years "best selling trucks" title.

Lord only knows. Just thought Id share
Sponsored

capitbull

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 CC SB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sounds plausible to me and would make a lot of sense.

The F Series top sales position is something the company is not about to give up any time soon and this probably made it easier to sell the Ranger/Bronco costs to the bean counters who worry about cannibalized sales and other things of that nature.

I've been wondering how they are going to position two new compact SUV pickups below the F-150 without risking their most profitable vehicle. Making the Ranger and Bronco part of the same line with the same basic size and configuration, with the Bronco being the more hardcore "Raptor" version of the two (beefed up suspension, engine, etc) means they will go after the same small-mid size pickup buyers without risking too many F-150 cross shoppers.

Ford Bronco Interesting little rumor I heard broncotimeline

Ford Bronco Interesting little rumor I heard IMG_7746

2021-bronco-order-guide.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

BOFOL

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Interesting little shop talk flying around the other day. I was told the Ranger will actually be called the F100 and the Bronco a F100 Bronco (like how the Raptor is to the F150). This way Ford can still count the sales under the F Series sales figures so to not cannibalize their 38+ years "best selling trucks" title.

I've seen this idea thrown around before but mostly just online speculation by enthusiasts. Is there anything to this besides "shop talk" ? Any hint of it from Ford?

I think we would all like to see a Raptor version of any future Bronco but I'd hate for the Bronco itself to be some limited edition version of the Ranger. It should be offered and sold as a base volume vehicle.

Sam4wheeler

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Wildtrak Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So what you are saying is the Bronco would simply be offered as a more hardcore version of the Ranger?

Sponsored

Broncowski

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So what you are saying is the Bronco would simply be offered as a more hardcore version of the Ranger?
The timing (2 years apart) might make sense with that theory but the UAW agreement mentions 2 new SUVs at the Michigan Plant, not one new SUV with a limited edition variant.

McMillan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Not every Ford SUV/truck can be made to fit the Raptor image.

Mustang313

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The timing (2 years apart) might make sense with that theory but the UAW agreement mentions 2 new SUVs at the Michigan Plant, not one new SUV with a limited edition variant.
Great point. If the Bronco was just a limited edition Ranger, it wouldn't be called a new model. Also would make no sense to give it a completely separate model name like the Bronco if it was just a limited edition Ranger. Of course, we still don't know that they'll call it a Bronco but seems to be a foregone conclusion.

Sam4wheeler

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Wildtrak Ordered
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Wrangler pickup truck looks like it is going to be more along the lines of a full size F-150 competitor.

Ranger/Bronco will be midsize/compact.

Sponsored

capitbull

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 CC SB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Midsize not compact. Expect only 4 door versions and should be right around the 110-15" wheelbase mark.

Bob Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater Mustang

Seems like it would be a huge missed opportunity by not using the Bronco name? It's a legendary truck and would create instant buzz and sales just with the badge alone.

I can understand wanting to keep the "best selling truck" title but the F Series outsold the Chevy Silverado by 30% (180,000) last year. Even with healthy cannibalization from the Ranger/Bronco (which I doubt will happen) the F Series is still VERY safely in the lead.

Simmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All American
Your Bronco Model
Base
I can understand wanting to keep the "best selling truck" title but the F Series outsold the Chevy Silverado by 30% (180,000) last year. Even with healthy cannibalization from the Ranger/Bronco (which I doubt will happen) the F Series is still VERY safely in the lead.
Ford doesn't just want the title, they want to comfortably trounce the competition like it's been doing for years.

For what it's worth they sold over 70,000 Rangers in 2011 in the final year of US production. It used to be well over 100,000/year. Bronco sales could be healthy if they can steal just a small % of Wrangler sales. I'm not sure how many people will cross shop these two with the F-series but Ford won't be taking any risks with its cash cow.

Rozinante

Threads
Reaction score
From what I've read so far, it appears that the Ranger will owe a lot (and get a LOT of parts from) the Australian vehicle (whose name I forget--maybe it's less forgettable in Australia...).

The F-150 comes in a wide range of models and the supermodel Raptor. I don't think there's any aura around the old Ranger to be coveted. Ditch that idea and call the new smaller pick-up an "F-100" and have it kick Ram/GM/Toyota/Nissan/Whatever ass like the Raptor kicks Ram/GM/Toyota/Nissan/Whatever ass. And the new Bronco can shop the entire US Ford and Ford Global parts bin to become the vehicle it needs to be to start another legendary career like the U13 & U15 early Broncos (the "F-100" should cover the U14 market) did five decades ago!!

If the 2020 Bronco fails to reign supreme and to look good while doing it, I've accumulated quite a war chest to upgrade my '66 U15 and Rear Back/Raise Hell.

Vince Grizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Ford
Ford and Ford Performance has a lot of great engineering and design from their big and very successful trucks and SUVs to draw from so "parts bin" works just fine. Design and packaging will be very important. It needs to separate itself from the current run of the mill SUVs in its lineup and stand on its own in this department.

The Australian engineered Everest has actually been shown to have very good off road chops especially for a 7 seater that is so large. The Bronco can borrow from the Everest and still be very capable on and off road. It needs a shorter wheelbase, manual transmission (Everest is auto only), on demand part-time 4WD, and convertible top to begin with. Check those boxes and give it a few heritage cues in design and we are 90% of the way there and it will shoot to the top of my list.
Sponsored