Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you watch the video, they show an aluminum "reinforcement" sleeve and steering rack bushing upgrade. I didn't see the links in the description, but I liked the look of the upgrades.

- Link above, I was typing when it was posted.

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other than this guy breaking all his stuff, is this a widespread issue? After watching the videos with "BroncBuster", I can say his driving leads to most of the failures, and the mods he has done doesn't help at all either. He is doing a good job of marketing the need for his products though...

On a stock Bronco, with 35"s or less, are tie rods and steering racks going to be an issue? Do Raptors have known tie rod/steering rack issues?

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Other than this guy breaking all his stuff, is this a widespread issue? After watching the videos with "BroncBuster", I can say his driving leads to most of the failures, and the mods he has done doesn't help at all either. He is doing a good job of marketing the need for his products though...

On a stock Bronco, with 35"s or less, are tie rods and steering racks going to be an issue? Do Raptors have known tie rod/steering rack issues?
If you're running less than 35" tires you probably won't find the need for these pieces.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...cle-queens-throne-obstacle-on-k2-trail.24614/

Ford Bronco Interesting Video / Tie Rod Upgrade? iAt67fX

Sponsored

gtx_bronc

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought it was hysterical that a (mostly) stock Badlands with the sasquatch package just walked that first climb and he broke his "built" bronc all to hell and back trying to make it up the obstacle. Putting water in his front tires for a trail that a stock bronco and jeep are doing FFS. I get that he is on the bleeding edge of building broncos but come on.....

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a domino effect. You do a lift or spacers which means you change the geometry this more stress. You add bigger tires which is more weight which equals more stress.

If you plan to rock crawl, solid front axle will be stronger than ifs which many people and videos point out.

Ford tested the stock setup and it does fine . If you plan to do anything extreme , just expect something to break but pray for the best and obviously you’ll be paying for it out of pocket and it won’t be covered under warranty lol

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a domino effect. You do a lift or spacers which means you change the geometry this more stress. You add bigger tires which is more weight which equals more stress.

If you plan to rock crawl, solid front axle will be stronger than ifs which many people and videos point out.

Ford tested the stock setup and it does fine . If you plan to do anything extreme , just expect something to break but pray for the best and obviously you’ll be paying for it out of pocket and it won’t be covered under warranty lol
I agree with your statement, however, tie rods seems to be breaking, in really specific situations, even with 33" tires. Particularly in rock crawling and obstacles that create a counter weight on opposing wheels (tank trap log crossing video was one of the more interesting breaks I have seen). I don't plan on lifting mine, but I will likely do something to fix that particular weak link. As for the steering rack, that seems to be really dependent on lift, so it's not something on my upgrade list, as of now. I would hate be be stuck in the woods with a broken tie rod and or be stuck without my Bronco, waiting on that part.

bmclain

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Explorer, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I find interesting. What do you define as extreme? This has been marketed as an off-road vehicle, so I would expect them to warranty to a certain degree. How has jeep handled this?
Edit: 60-90 day lead time for a tie rod seems a bit extreme. I'd hate to have to wait on one...

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Plan to wait and see how much the upgraded ford performance rack and pinion steering setup is going to cost before I take the band-aid route.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is what I find interesting. What do you define as extreme? This has been marketed as an off-road vehicle, so I would expect them to warranty to a certain degree. How has jeep handled this?
Edit: 60-90 day lead time for a tie rod seems a bit extreme. I'd hate to have to wait on one...
I think many times the repair would be warrantied (depending on evidence of physicals impact or abuse). For me it is more about reliability and not getting stuck in the "bush".

Pseudoko

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 2 Feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree with your statement, however, tie rods seems to be breaking, in really specific situations, even with 33" tires. Particularly in rock crawling and obstacles that create a counter weight on opposing wheels (tank trap log crossing video was one of the more interesting breaks I have seen). I don't plan on lifting mine, but I will likely do something to fix that particular weak link. As for the steering rack, that seems to be really dependent on lift, so it's not something on my upgrade list, as of now. I would hate be be stuck in the woods with a broken tie rod and or be stuck without my Bronco, waiting on that part.
yup I eluded to that by mentioning solid front axle is stronger than ifs and that if you plan to do anything extreme expect things to possibly break.

OP
OP
Mattwings

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

yup I eluded to that by mentioning solid front axle is stronger than ifs and that if you plan to do anything extreme expect things to possibly break.
Although if you look at most "modded" Jeeps, they have a host of steering and axle upgrades. My LJ only had 33's and a simple 2" lift. By 60K miles the tie rods and ball joints were trashed, with really light off road use. I think SFA is simpler and cheaper to lift, but all manufactures build to a standard/budget. If you upgrade or use the vehicle in a way that rates "severe duty" you will have to upgrade or replace parts.

I also find it interesting that people keep saying the Jeep is better off road. The Bronco and Jeep were effectively identical off-road. Neither broke, neither made it through an obstacle the other didn't, if anything (IMO) the Bronco looked more stable and planted on the climbs, with the Jeep having more axle droop on the off cambers. Seems like a tie to me. They do not "tie" in any other driving situation, on or off road :)

Captain Howdy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 suv
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kevin is an amazing driver! His level of skill behind the wheel easily makes a difficult trail look like a moderate one.

The less experienced driving of the the Jeep on 35's and the Bronco on 37's made for a more level playing field.

And speaking of the Bronco on 37's, the cv axle joints definitely didn't like the mild increase in droop. These Broncos are best left unlifted and limited to 35's, without delving into a major design overhaul to properly support the increased stresses. Any amount of lift is simply putting the tie rods and axle shafts at too weak of an angle. Larger tires increase the side to side leverage forces on anything outside of the steering pivot point.

To properly support any increase in tire size or ride height, a beefed up rack and pinion and tie rods is the 1st necessity. Optimally, lowering that assembly to keep the tie rods as level as possible will maximize strength potential. Problem with that is the loss of ground clearance. To avoid lowering the rack, an overly built set of tie rods are needed to operate at the disadvantageous angle. The Broncbuster took that approach, but also showed the next weak link which could be fixed with a knuckle that provides a double sheer attachment for the heim joint of the tie rod.

It's a similar situation with the axle shafts. Any added lift height puts them at an operating angle they weren't designed for. Lowering the carrier would be optimal for function, but not for ground clearance. A set of better cv joints are the ticket. I'm sure that RCV Performance must be designing a set of shafts with their much stronger chromoly joints that can operate up to 45° degrees.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Kevin is an amazing driver! His level of skill behind the wheel easily makes a difficult trail look like a moderate one.

The less experienced driving of the the Jeep on 35's and the Bronco on 37's made for a more level playing field.
The blue Bronco that Kevin was driving was on stock 35s...and from @LiteBrite themselves:

The bronco I think did better really
That doesn't sound like the field needed to be leveled at all...Bronco was comperable, or "better"; both with 35s.
Sponsored