Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm very much becoming a DIY kinda guy but have never worked much with vehicles. I'm thinking the Base trim will be perfect for my budget and as a starter project. I'm posting this thread in interior mods because that's where most of my questions are right now. Let's assume I'm a complete novice, so simpler, well explained answers are appreciated. However I have an engineering degree so if you can at least point me in the right direction to get started, I love solving problems in creative ways.

I would love to get Badlands with mid, high, or lux, but for above reasons will not get it. How difficult will it be to do those interior/tech mods myself on the Base? The big ones I really want to highlight:
  • Washout interior. I love this concept. I want to remove all carpet and cloth, and make it so if I drive through the rain by accident it's no big deal. So what am I looking at doing? Seats, floors, waterproofing buttons/dash, etc?
  • Heated seats. Mostly for the wife, because I like the cold. (I'm younger, I'm weird I know)
  • Sound deadoning. How difficult would it be to redo the whole interior? Just the top? I'm probably going basesquatch and B&P won't let me get the sound deadoning top with squatch
  • Upgraded stereo and syncing it with the computer (idk what else to call it but the 8"screen already in there) and speakers. Any constraints?
  • Additional outlets (like what comes with mid package)
  • wireless phone charging pad
  • Intelligent access. I love the idea of not having keys in hand to unlock my door. My temporary work around will be the keypad
  • Safety features like adaptive cruise control, evasive steering, etc. Is that even possible to DIY? I'm fine going without it but I wouldn't mind it
I'm not looking to do any of these right away. For example, I'll probably enjoy the brand new cloth seats a little while before tearing into them. Also if it's gonna be a really expensive mod, I'll just do it later down the road when I have more money. Any advice, thoughts or warnings are appreciated.

If it matters for how you answer, I'm looking at 2.3L basemansquatch.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Completely unknown, what wiring will be in the car, it most likely won't be the same on all models. MId level trims will likely share the same wiring as high and lux. You will need the components, heated seat module, wiring, and forscan to enable any options. Long way off of that now though. Some things you mentioned like lane centering would only require enabling via forscan, adaptive cruise you will need radar sensor, steering wheel switch gear, wiring, and enabling the option. To sum it up a good deal of what you said will be possible, but possibly cost prohibitive. I recommend checking out the f-150 or ranger forums that gives you a good idea of what will be involved with each option your trying to do. Get familiar with forscan, that should be your first step. None of this would be doable without it. I hope this is not confusing.
All I needed to hear is that it's possible! I'll be sure to read up on forscan. Thanks for the reply

AMK610

Big Bend
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RAM 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm very much becoming a DIY kinda guy but have never worked much with vehicles. I'm thinking the base will be perfect for my budget and as a starter project. I'm posting this thread in interior mods because that's where most of my questions are right now. Let's assume I'm a complete novice, so simpler, well explained answers are appreciated. However I have an engineering degree so if you can at least point me in the right direction to get started, I love solving problems in creative ways.

I would love to get Badlands with mid, high, or lux, but for above reasons will not get it. How difficult will it be to do those interior/tech mods myself? The big ones I really want to highlight:
  • Washout interior. I love this concept. I want to remove all carpet and cloth, and make it so if I drive through the rain by accident it's no big deal. So what am I looking at doing? Seats, floors, waterproofing buttons/dash, etc?
  • Heated seats. Mostly for the wife, because I like the cold. (I'm younger, I'm weird I know)
  • Sound deadoning. How difficult would it be to redo the whole interior? Just the top? I'm probably going basesquatch and B&P won't let me get the sound deadoning top with squatch
  • Upgraded stereo and syncing it with the computer (idk what else to call it but the 8"screen already in there) and speakers. Any constraints?
  • Intelligent access. I love the idea of not having keys in hand to unlock my door. My temporary work around will be the keypad
  • Safety features like adaptive cruise control, evasive steering, etc. Is that even possible to DIY? I'm fine going without it but I wouldn't mind it
I'm not looking to do any of these right away. For example, I'll probably enjoy the brand new cloth seats a little while before tearing into them. Also if it's gonna be a really expensive mod, I'll just do it later down the road when I have more money. Any advice, thoughts or warnings are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
heated seat should be easy, theres heating inserts that you can get off amazon and install them in your seats, theres also companies that make really nice seat covers that have the option to have them heated as well. wireless phone charging pad can be as easy or complicated as you want to make it depending on how good you want it to look. I'd do the sound deadening at the same time you do your sound system upgrade. those usually go hand in hand and there's a lot of good stuff online about how to do this.

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm very much becoming a DIY kinda guy but have never worked much with vehicles. I'm thinking the base will be perfect for my budget and as a starter project. I'm posting this thread in interior mods because that's where most of my questions are right now. Let's assume I'm a complete novice, so simpler, well explained answers are appreciated. However I have an engineering degree so if you can at least point me in the right direction to get started, I love solving problems in creative ways.

I would love to get Badlands with mid, high, or lux, but for above reasons will not get it. How difficult will it be to do those interior/tech mods myself? The big ones I really want to highlight:

Thanks in advance!
There's a lot of unknowns as of yet, but some of the stuff you listed is definitely DiY, some a bit more involved than others.

1) If places like Bedrug make a cargo liner, like they have for Jeep, you'll gain waterproofing, some sound deadening plus stain, mold/mildew resistance. The more involved version would be using Raptor liner or Bullyliner to put a Line-x like covering down with the ability to wash it out if needed.

2) Katzkin will be making leather seat cover upgrades, if leather is a possible option/direction you want to go, and they offer a heated option. It's definitely DiY, but could be more of an undertaking than most people would want to take on. (I've done this type of interior work before, so it's a non-issue for me) The cheaper/budget version would be if places like Wet Okole and/or Bartact make their waterproof seat covers for the Bronco.
There are Aftermarket heated seat element kits available if you wanted to stay cloth seats but put waterproof seat covers on.

3) HotHead headliners has already stated they're going to make a headliner and they have a sound-deadening kit for it also.

4) Upgraded stereo and syncing is still an unknown/ grey area yet. I can see speaker upgrades coming, but the head-unit is an unknown. In the future, there may eventually be a swap kit to install the factory 12" or an Aftermarket unit with an 8" screen.

5 & 6) Since the Base lacks the center console 'oshit' handle, it's possible that the Aftermarket could make an adapter that would bolt into it's place that could be a wireless charge pad, additional outlet hub, or a combination of both. Creative types could possibly make their own combo with what is available from other makes of vehicles. It would take a bit of researching to see what could be done.

7) Outside of the Ford pass app (for remote unlock and/or start) and the keypad with it's possible relocation to the fuel door, I don't know much outside of those 2 things. It's probably because I'm so accustomed to having a key-fob in hand for the last 20 years. ?

8) This I have no clue with, but I think it may be the one thing that is the least upgrade friendly due to all the sensors and such involved. I personally hate all the nanny features being added to vehicles and don't want them, but that's my personal opinion/view.

Others will probably chime in with stuff I may have missed or am a bit off the mark on, but this will give you a general idea of things.

Sponsored

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Washout interior. I love this concept. I want to remove all carpet and cloth, and make it so if I drive through the rain by accident it's no big deal. So what am I looking at doing? Seats, floors, waterproofing buttons/dash, etc?
If you get a Badlands or Black Diamond I believe the washout interior is standard which would cover the floor, water resistant buttons, etc... That leaves seat material to deal with. If you go with MGV you are done except maybe for the carpet back of the back seats? But that should be a doable project. If you pick a cloth/leather seat option probably as simple as seat covers.

If you go with another trim you are probably looking at a bigger project as mentioned in previous posts.

OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's a lot of unknowns as of yet, but some of the stuff you listed is definitely DiY, some a bit more involved than others.

1) If places like Bedrug make a cargo liner, like they have for Jeep, you'll gain waterproofing, some sound deadening plus stain, mold/mildew resistance. The more involved version would be using Raptor liner or Bullyliner to put a Line-x like covering down with the ability to wash it out if needed.

2) Katzkin will be making leather seat cover upgrades, if leather is a possible option/direction you want to go, and they offer a heated option. It's definitely DiY, but could be more of an undertaking than most people would want to take on. (I've done this type of interior work before, so it's a non-issue for me) The cheaper/budget version would be if places like Wet Okole and/or Bartact make their waterproof seat covers for the Bronco.
There are Aftermarket heated seat element kits available if you wanted to stay cloth seats but put waterproof seat covers on.

3) HotHead headliners has already stated they're going to make a headliner and they have a sound-deadening kit for it also.

4) Upgraded stereo and syncing is still an unknown/ grey area yet. I can see speaker upgrades coming, but the head-unit is an unknown. In the future, there may eventually be a swap kit to install the factory 12" or an Aftermarket unit with an 8" screen.

5 & 6) Since the Base lacks the center console 'oshit' handle, it's possible that the Aftermarket could make an adapter that would bolt into it's place that could be a wireless charge pad, additional outlet hub, or a combination of both. Creative types could possibly make their own combo with what is available from other makes of vehicles. It would take a bit of researching to see what could be done.

7) Outside of the Ford pass app (for remote unlock and/or start) and the keypad with it's possible relocation to the fuel door, I don't know much outside of those 2 things. It's probably because I'm so accustomed to having a key-fob in hand for the last 20 years. ?

8) This I have no clue with, but I think it may be the one thing that is the least upgrade friendly due to all the sensors and such involved. I personally hate all the nanny features being added to vehicles and don't want them, but that's my personal opinion/view.

Others will probably chime in with stuff I may have missed or am a bit off the mark on, but this will give you a general idea of things.
This is really helpful and informative. Thanks

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks in advance!

I am looking to do a lot of the same with my basebase.

I do love a good sound system so I will be putting most of the money into that.

Adding speakers/amp will depend on the wiring harness that the stereo uses, if it's the same as the ranger (I'm hoping) then it will be available at launch, but if not then it could take about a year for availability.

If you decide to sound deaden your entire interior it will add weight to your vehicle (I did this to my current fusion & I had a noticable amount of weight to the point that it accelerates worse lol).

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not sure you want to mess with new stereo head unit. Did it on my jeep, got wet, damn thing is worthless. Water ran through the original and it didn't skip a beat. I think stereo swap days are numbered, they are too integrated with the whole vehicle now.

Added safety features, I am guess will not be easy. I would go with the idea you can't.

Rest is very doable, with the products already out there. I loved messing with my cars, but its complicated now. I only do cosmetics now.

OP
OP
BeerForMyHorses

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Not sure you want to mess with new stereo head unit. Did it on my jeep, got wet, damn thing is worthless. Water ran through the original and it didn't skip a beat. I think stereo swap days are numbered, they are too integrated with the whole vehicle now.

Added safety features, I am guess will not be easy. I would go with the idea you can't.

Rest is very doable, with the products already out there. I loved messing with my cars, but its complicated now. I only do cosmetics now.
And I'm okay with all that! Confirms my decision to stick with base and upgrade whatever I can down the road. Thanks
Sponsored