Sponsored

Interior thread - 2018-2021 Wrangler JL 4 door vs 2021 Bronco - from people that have seen (Bronco) & own JL

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having just spent a few days down in Moab getting to ride in some Broncos and also a few days driving this Rubicon below (never cared what year it was, seemed.... newish? 10K miles on it and rattling nicely), i'll say that the the interior of the Rubicon was mostly cramped and Jeep/Chrysler follows it's long history of using overly thick, chunky Chernobyl grade/Era plastics with aplomb. They last in the way that cockroaches will outlive us all. And Jeep have about a half century of evolution on the model to get it to the point where they could finally hire a pair of twelve year olds to lay out the controls.

That is to say the interior is "bad" if your aim was a comfortable rig that gets a little bit of mild off-road time. It was great if durability for a focused off-road rig is your one and only goal, which it is for Jeep and why they look so silly on public roads.

Bronco is 50 years behind and all the tribal knowledge that Jeep has won't translate to the design aims of Ford. I found the Bronco interior to be more open and less cluttered with Jeeps over-wrought pseudo "tough-guy" styling in favor of a clean minimalist approach.

I doubt the Bronco switchgear will fare as well with the ham-fisted and sausage-finger crowd, but it will survive, even if worn at a faster rate.

The one thing i'm most excited for with Bronco is that there isn't a massive bar directly behind the drivers head. Can't tell you how many times my grape took impact from that damn thing while we were driving Fins N' Things in Moab. Wasn't such a big deal on the White Rim trail in Canyonlands NP, but still happened with any steep elevation change.

That change alone will be massive for Bronco. Prior to getting drive-time in the Rubicon I thought the warnings of wearing a helmet were ridiculous. Well, they are ridiculous if you have a Bronco! Jeep having a passenger grab handle right in front will likely be better than Bronco's arrangement of small grab handles at unequal heights and distances from the passenger. I could imagine somebody with less upper body strength getting fatigued on a longer trail with the handle situations in Bronco.

Ford Bronco Interior thread - 2018-2021 Wrangler JL 4 door vs 2021 Bronco - from people that have seen (Bronco) & own JL 179960284_10222763651814327_4750633507366929648_n
Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
21. Believe 22 ordering opens in June or July. Thereā€™s a special color available now that I wanted to get so I jumped on it. Not sure if itā€™ll be available in 22 or not. Went with Gecko. Itā€™s going to be bright šŸ˜†

Itā€˜ll look like this except I went with the black premium soft top and black fenders to break it up a little. All green is a tad too much for me. Going with a 3.5ā€ lift, black beadlocks and 37s plus gears, armor, bumpers, etc...
I read a few weeks ago that the ordering window was closed, but since you posted, I contacted a local(ish) delaer and they said it's closing any day. So, I ordered a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon this afternoon, spec'd just the way I want it, at $8k less than my Badlands and should be here mid-July. Thanks!

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
21. Believe 22 ordering opens in June or July. Thereā€™s a special color available now that I wanted to get so I jumped on it. Not sure if itā€™ll be available in 22 or not. Went with Gecko. Itā€™s going to be bright šŸ˜†

Itā€˜ll look like this except I went with the black premium soft top and black fenders to break it up a little. All green is a tad too much for me. Going with a 3.5ā€ lift, black beadlocks and 37s plus gears, armor, bumpers, etc.
Nice! As a family, we are all in on the Bronco and it is going to be a bitter sweet day watching our '13 JKU Moab ed in Gecko Green drive away. Made a 3rd reservation the other day (long story) if the wife decides she wants one. And if she does, she has made it clear that we will go from the dealer straight to a wrap shop for a Gecko/Lime green wrap.

And back on topic. I like the more simplistic Bronco interior and location of the hero switches when compared to the cluttered center stack of the JL's.

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I read a few weeks ago that the ordering window was closed, but since you posted, I contacted a local(ish) delaer and they said it's closing any day. So, I ordered a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon this afternoon, spec'd just the way I want it, at $8k less than my Badlands and should be here mid-July. Thanks!
Congrats on the purchase! Hope ours both show up soon. Iā€™m over on JLWranglerForums with the same user name if you make it over there šŸ¤™

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well of course...so I'm contemplating a Rubi instead of a Bronco due to the delays and now it sounds like by the time I decide, the Rubi will be delayed. Must be a sign... Of what I don't know :poop:

Sponsored

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, are you no longer in the market for a Bronco? Are you cancelling your reservation?

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, are you no longer in the market for a Bronco? Are you cancelling your reservation?
I tried calling yesterday to cancel but the bronco customer care was closed.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Bronco interior is just OK. I think the improvements are already planned. The Wrangler interior has been improved a few times and has gotten better and so will Bronco.

OP
OP
Broncolli

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco interior is just OK. I think the improvements are already planned. The Wrangler interior has been improved a few times and has gotten better and so will Bronco.
yeah I do believe that - but it does not help me this year. on the positive side - it does look like the Bronco interior is a blank slate - so it would be possible to recover seats, and dashboard trim - am I right ?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thinking of interior trim, the only thing that bothers me is the big black vertical plastic on the dash on some trims. I think it would make sense to match the vertical dash color to the grille color, BB and BL get gray, others get black. But then I'm biased
Ford Bronco Interior thread - 2018-2021 Wrangler JL 4 door vs 2021 Bronco - from people that have seen (Bronco) & own JL vehicle

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
I noticed the touch points on the Wrangler were better, and making me second guess myself. The shift knob and the steering wheel. I really won't be touching the top of the dash. This was only true in the higher Wrangler trims - with leather seats. The lower cloth set trims sucked.

I am specifically comparing to the MGV trim on trim in the Bronco.

As mentioned above I do notice the clutter feeling in the Wrangler, and I also notice it is "dark" if that means anything to anyone.
My 2019 JL had other problems. Iā€™m more concerned about the Broncos getting the 10R60 trans than ANYTHING else.

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
I personally think the JLU has a nicer interior than the Bronco. Especially the leather variants. I ordered a JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel this morning. Went cloth seats because Iā€™m going to have the soft top down a lot. Donā€™t want to fry my back on black leather seats in the summer sun. The Bronco interior is definitely more utilitarian to me. FCA (now Stellantis) knows interiors, just look at the Ram pickups. Dealer gave me a 5-6 week delivery estimate :cool:
Heads up ...read the Jeep forums.šŸ˜³

MSparks909

Badlands
First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F-250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heads up ...read the Jeep forums.šŸ˜³
Oh I have. Iā€™m on the JL Forums too. Already have a laundry list of stuff Iā€™m gonna preemptively fix on the Jeep in the first month. Hinge corrosion prevention, seal the locker sensors, make the Rubicon hood vents functional, etc. Iā€™m betting that the Bronco is gonna have similar locker issues that the Rubiconā€™s have since theyā€™re using the same axle...hereā€™s a link if you guys want to read about the issue and the best fix so far. Jeepā€™s response to fix locker issues is to replace the entire axle due to a leaky sensor...insanity. Adding to that, the sensor isnā€™t available for sale separately. Go figure.

Dana 44 Advantek Locker Issue & Fix:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/locker-position-sensor-potting-dana-44.59581/

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do like the rubberized flooring and marine grade vinyl. I used to wash my CJ's interior out all the time and I'm excited that I'll be able to do the same in a modern vehicle... though probably a little more carefully. I'm not really sure how waterproof the electronics on the dash are. For 2 door Wrangler vs 2 door Bronco, I am glad that the Bronco will increase my cargo space a bit, but I did like the option of removing the back seat in the Jeep. I tend to do that all the time. I have actually slept in the back of my 2 door JK and I'm 6' tall... I imagine if I ever want to do the same in my 2 door Bronco, I'll need to build some sort of makeshift platform to throw in the back so it will level the floor against the lowered seats. I'll only drag that along for the very few trips I'll actually sleep in it though. As far as colors go... I would have liked a brown or tan color scheme option.
Sponsored