First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I could make this request for assistance as a new member VERY lengthy...but I will summarize.

-I have been in the market for a Rubi for over a year as I knew I would never be able to wait on a Bronco order and was leery of buying something unproven.
-I finally settled on ordering a 392 for 10% below MSRP and waiting the 5-6 months for it to be made
-Got diverted to this website, now I am very interested in picking up a WildTrak in CG and have a good connection at a high volume dealer....drove one nearly exactly the way I would order one and I MUCH MUCH prefer the driving experience of the Bronco (even though the 392 is far better than most Jeeps), THE BAD? my guy says it would be 12-18 months before I would see it
-A local guy has one in the right color and options selling private party for around $15k over MSRP......which does not seem too bad considering MSRP plus TTL etc. I am strongly considering it.

Can someone please talk me out of this insanity?

We have almost zero need for this vehicle and it is purely a "Want" item. Living in AZ and retiring soon, I would love to do some long trips to MOAB, St. George, Sedona, Ourey etc....not rock climbing....just some fun trails with awesome views.

Thanks to anyone that responds.....any and all opinions are much appreciated.
Sponsored

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Scoop that Bronco up if you can

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Get the 392 and pick up a Bronco in a few years if you still want one. The days of having a V8 are coming to an end quick and the 392 will always be in high demand. I love my Badlands but would take a 392 in a heartbeat if it was a straight up trade. By the way, grew up in Flagstaff and Lake Havasu. Really miss off-roading in that part of the country. Enjoy retirement!

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a bit confused by the 392. I get the big V8 situation - I just sold my '69 Camaro with a 355 and 6-speed (I miss it!) - but I feel like it's crossing wires to shoehorn a hot V8 into a off-road first vehicle like a Jeep. I'm sure it's amazing to drive - don't get me wrong - but if you want speed, get a new Vette or GT500. Go with the Bronco...

Sponsored
OP
OP

Medicaptain

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks everyone....the 392 is only $6k more....just for future resale I can now see how much of a better option that is...

BUT THE RIDE! is so much better in the WTrack....

OP
OP

Medicaptain

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm a bit confused by the 392. I get the big V8 situation - I just sold my '69 Camaro with a 355 and 6-speed (I miss it!) - but I feel like it's crossing wires to shoehorn a hot V8 into a off-road first vehicle like a Jeep. I'm sure it's amazing to drive - don't get me wrong - but if you want speed, get a new Vette or GT500. Go with the Bronco...
It is not necessarily the speed or even power (although fun in straight line). The SOUND is incredible plus the work on the suspension and steering (for about 80% of them) is superior to "lesser" equipped Rubicons...I have driven 4 different 392's and a full S ton of 2.0's, 3.6's and EDiesel's....the work they did on the 392 just seems to have nailed it.

clhman

Wildtrak
First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super-Duty
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm going to buck the trend and say long term, resale will be better on the Bronco than the 392. (Not considering the ADM) I'm a huge Jeep guy and personally the Bronco puts them to shame.

MJedi209

Black Diamond
First Name
MJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopars
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1) You're about to retire
2) You have the money to spend
3) The 392 is 6 G's more

Honestly, reward yourself for all the hard work. Who cares if you pay over MSRP as long as you're good with it. Get what you want and don't rationalize yourself into settling for future regrets. The 392 is a beast. Being a lifelong Mopar guy, (all hail the mighty Hemi) it's hard for me to say this but I would go with the Wildtrack.

Sponsored

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Alright, since you asked for opinions I have a couple for you.

First of all, your own words out of your own mouth is that you "MUCH MUCH prefer the driving experience of the Bronco." So in my opinion, you should forget about that 392. Focus your attention on getting the car you actually want; a Bronco.

My second opinion is that you should order a Bronco and wait as opposed to buying one that you found priced $15k above MSRP. I'll admit that the reason I have that opinion is probably because I can't really afford to essentially throw $15k into the trash just so I can have instant gratification. If you can afford it and that doesn't bother you, you should ignore my opinion and do what makes you happy. It's your money, after all.

The other thing I'll add is that I don't really think it would be 12 -18 months unless you really dig in and insist that your order having the biggest constraint, which is the hard top. Just order a soft top and add a hard top later; preferably an aftermarket one that is of vastly superior quality to the hot garbage that Webasto is producing for Ford.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's hard for me to justify a 15K markup, when essentially that's what I put down plus equity on my trade in.

If you have the means and don't want to wait then go for it and don't look back.

I don't think you will regret buying a bronco over a jeep. If future speculation on resale is an issue than you might be in the wrong game.

Cornbred

Raptor
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 F-250/Edge, 14 F150,202? Bronco Base/Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Get the 392 and order a bronco, if you order a hard top it’ll take at least two years until delivery.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could make this request for assistance as a new member VERY lengthy...but I will summarize.

-I have been in the market for a Rubi for over a year as I knew I would never be able to wait on a Bronco order and was leery of buying something unproven.
-I finally settled on ordering a 392 for 10% below MSRP and waiting the 5-6 months for it to be made
-Got diverted to this website, now I am very interested in picking up a WildTrak in CG and have a good connection at a high volume dealer....drove one nearly exactly the way I would order one and I MUCH MUCH prefer the driving experience of the Bronco (even though the 392 is far better than most Jeeps), THE BAD? my guy says it would be 12-18 months before I would see it
-A local guy has one in the right color and options selling private party for around $15k over MSRP......which does not seem too bad considering MSRP plus TTL etc. I am strongly considering it.

Can someone please talk me out of this insanity?

We have almost zero need for this vehicle and it is purely a "Want" item. Living in AZ and retiring soon, I would love to do some long trips to MOAB, St. George, Sedona, Ourey etc....not rock climbing....just some fun trails with awesome views.

Thanks to anyone that responds.....any and all opinions are much appreciated.
Find a dealer to order a soft top at MSRP, then pick up an aftermarket hard top in the next couple of months for $4-6k. You get what you want, you get it in the next two months, and you save $10k.

Win, win, win!

OP
OP

Medicaptain

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
THIS...is exactly what I was looking for everyone. Thank you all so much for all the great advice, and even the conflicting opinions that I am find to be of great value

I hate throwing money in the trash, I do want something now so I have conflicting priorities.

(I have been living in this bored to death lifestyle of covid for 2 years....face to face with it on a daily basis....I just want something fun to have/do for once).
Sponsored

Last edited: