Sponsored

iPad or Tablet size for OnX offroad maps?

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Howdy All

I am thinking of getting an iPad to use OnX off road maps with. I am looking at the iPad mini would be the right size to use.

I have a Mountains to Metals small dash mount with a 1 inch ball mount extensions to hold my cell phone. I want to hold it in the same place and have mount already in mind that will hold either a full size or the Mini iPad.

Anybody running one with the off road maps? Pluses and minuses?

Mike
Sponsored

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not in love with how OnX operates through Apple CarPlay so this has me on the hunt for a solution as well. Saw this vid recently on youtube researching more of same thoughts.

The iPad mini (cell enabled for gps funtion) looks like the right screen, but sounds like he went through a few mounts before he found one stable enough. He is using 67 designs & RAM, hopefully the M2M cuts it. Ram also has a rail for the Bronco now, may try that first since I already have some RAM stuff for kayaks/boat layin around.

Hopefully some on here with direct experience in Broncos.

Last edited:

roboticsrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not in love with how OnX operates through Apple CarPlay so this has me on the hunt for a solution as well. Saw this vid recently on youtube researching more of same thoughts.
I was going to post the exact same video. The benefit to using a phone/tablet for maps is having the full functionality, vs a trimmed down CarPlay version. I use Gaia and while it's great to see all our custom maps on the infotainment system, you can't really do much with them except view them. A quick add a waypoint functionality would be great, for example. The other bonus of having a separate screen is that frees up the cars screen for cameras, media, etc without flipping back and forth.

OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks I just ordered an iPad mini. I will order the mount when I get it. I like that Ram mount he uses, but it might not work where I think I want to put it.

Mike

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use a 12” iPad Pro
How and where do yo mount it? I don't want to block any more of my view then necessary with the trails I run.

Mike

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a tablet holder that fits in a cup holder. So the tablet is next to the shift lever. So it is not in line of sight, it works for me.

Something kind of like this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0893413Y8
I looked at these, but they take up a place for my beer(-; I did look at these, but came up with a n idea that keeps it up in my view, but out of the way. When I get the iPad mini and holder I will take a picture and post it here.

Mike T

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks I just ordered an iPad mini. I will order the mount when I get it. I like that Ram mount he uses, but it might not work where I think I want to put it.

Mike
So a heads up when using an Ipad. Make sure you get one that is cellular as it has a built in gps. If not you can purchase a Garmin Glo for a external gps to get satellites. The cell one has gps that does not need cell connection. Ask me how I know.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I looked at these, but they take up a place for my beer(-; I did look at these, but came up with a n idea that keeps it up in my view, but out of the way. When I get the iPad mini and holder I will take a picture and post it here.
The loss of a cup holder is the only downfall. I only go off roading about once a month, I have the tablet holder in place for only that time. On a older off road vehical I used in the past I had a mount bolted in place, but I am not going so often now. I would like to see what you come up with.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
iPad mini with RAM iPad mount on Archetype handle.

Ford Bronco iPad or Tablet  size for OnX offroad maps? IMG_4057
I think this is the best answer to mount a tablet. Does not block your view. Holds a tablet and phone. The hand hold should be plenty strong. looks like it has a rail mount to add even more.
Thank you for sharing this setup.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I use Gaia and have a mini on my side and wife has the standard Ipad on her side. Use ram arms off a DV8 dash mount.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are using a basic BYOD rail, I wouldn't go heavier than an iPad Mini. I have the Expedition Essentials dash system, which is much sturdier due to multiple mounting points and have used it for my 11" iPad Pro. Here's some videos I did if you are set on using a larger device. TBH, I'm finding CarPlay with my phone for OnX and Gaia to be suitable for me (if you are adding routes, waypoints, etc. you just have to use your phone itself).

Using the grab handle:
Video of a GMRS install, but you can see my dash set up as well:
Sponsored