Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It doesn't seem like Ford is abandoning the V8 like some would claim. There are new high performance versions out for the Mustang, and now an iron block Coyote ... if, y'know, you need 1500hp in your Bronco to do somersaults, or build a rock bouncer or dragster.

While an iron Coyote is an absurd option for any volume production vehicle, along with the new 7.3L it would be another indicator Ford isn't giving up on performance or enthusiast oriented V8s.
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I hope they have time to read about the love for a v8 while they are working virtually, and act accordingly. (If you love a 4 cylinder, don't @ me bro)
I love 4 cylinders ...

... and I love the other 4 even more

BuckWildOffRoad

Raptor
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, King Ranch F250, Taurus SHO
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I love the 5.0 and hope that it is a offering OEM (don't judge me for hoping), Also, I can't wait to see the aftermarket for the 7.3 (blowers, scrolls, cams, etc). My thought is the gen 2 7.3 (in about 3-4yrs) will offer port and direct injection (more costly to fix, but bigger HP possible). All that to say... I Think Ford is doing great things in the V8 world.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love the 5.0 and hope that it is a offering OEM (don't judge me for hoping), Also, I can't wait to see the aftermarket for the 7.3 (blowers, scrolls, cams, etc). My thought is the gen 2 7.3 (in about 3-4yrs) will offer port and direct injection (more costly to fix, but bigger HP possible). All that to say... I Think Ford is doing great things in the V8 world.
Ford will always have great V-8 crate motors. That will never change till the end of time. However I do see this generation of F1 50, that is due out this year, to be the last that offers a V-8. The mustang will be the last vehicle Ford makes that offers a V-8 from the factory (excluding commercial vehicles) and I donā€™t see Ford eliminating the V8 mustang until it is deemed illegal to be on the road.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Ford will always have great V-8 crate motors. That will never change till the end of time. However I do see this generation of F1 50, that is due out this year, to be the last that offers a V-8. The mustang will be the last vehicle Ford makes that offers a V-8 from the factory (excluding commercial vehicles) and I donā€™t see Ford eliminating the V8 mustang until it is deemed illegal to be on the road.
The Coyote is the only engine option Ford offers a factory gaseous prep package on. Given that CNG, LNG, and LPG are gaining popularity with fleets, and given that Ford loves fleet sales, I don't see Ford ditching the Coyote as an option in the F150 unless they add gaseous prep on another engine.

I'm not sure if it's even really feasible to run those alt fuels in any of the EcoBeasts, and the take rate on the 3.3L is low enough that I don't see them adding gaseous prep to that one.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Coyote is the only engine option Ford offers a factory gaseous prep package on. Given that CNG, LNG, and LPG are gaining popularity with fleets, and given that Ford loves fleet sales, I don't see Ford ditching the Coyote as an option in the F150 unless they add gaseous prep on another engine.

I'm not sure if it's even really feasible to run those alt fuels in any of the EcoBeasts, and the take rate on the 3.3L is low enough that I don't see them adding gaseous prep to that one.
they will definitely keep the v8 for that alternative fuel fleet sales on a XL trim. But I doubt you will be able to find a say a Limited or Platinum or Lariat 5.0 in the near future .

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

just looked at Fordā€™s USA inventory.
excluding the XL and raptor trims. There are ~76,000 f150s for sale.
about 25% Are v8 and over 60% are ecoboost.

thats a pretty low take rate. Vs Chevy and ram with close to 70% v8 on non work trims

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

just looked at Fordā€™s USA inventory.
excluding the XL and raptor trims. There are ~76,000 f150s for sale.
about 25% Are v8 and over 60% are ecoboost.

thats a pretty low take rate. Vs Chevy and ram with close to 70% v8 on non work trims
On the other hand, according to their configurator, here are Ford's current engine options for the F-150

3.3L NA V6 (XL, XLT)
2.7L EcoBoost (XL, XLT, Lariat)
3.5L EcoBoost (Lariat, King Ranch, Raptor, Platinum, Limited)
5.0L Coyote (XL, , XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum)

They have 4 engine options available.

That V8 is not available at all in the Raptor or the Limited, 2 of the top 3 trims. It is the default engine option in the King Ranch and Platinum (the 3.5L EcoBoost being your only other option).

The Coyote is available as an option in 71% (5/7) of the trim options that Ford offers. It's the "base" engine in the King Ranch and Platinum with the 3.5L EcoBoost being the upgrade option, and a requirement if you want the max tow package.

And as soon as you choose the max towing package, they force you into the 3.5L EcoBoost, nevermind if you want the other stuff that comes with the max towing package but want to keep the V8 (or the 3.3L V6 if you're weird or poor). That also means that you have to upgrade to Lariat trim or better to get the max towing package, because the 3.5L isn't an option on anything below that. No max towing on the work truck (XL) or kinda nice work truck (XLT).

Just about any option that upgrades you away from the base engine (FX4 package, anyone?) will default you to an EcoBoost instead of the V8. The only exceptions I've found to that are gaseous prep (Coyote only) and the 3.15 and 3.31 rear axles, which seem to require either the 3.5L EcoBoost or the Coyote.

I would speculate, then, that a 25% take rate on the V8 is probably less of what people are asking for and more about what is available.

Consider, too, that Chevrolet offers at least one V8 engine option in every trim level of the Silverado 1500, as does Ram in their 1500. I'm not sure how much that weighs into the V8 take rate on these two brands, but I'm sure it's a non-zero number.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

However I do see this generation of F1 50, that is due out this year, to be the last that offers a V-8. The mustang will be the last vehicle Ford makes that offers a V-8 from the factory (
I seriously doubt this.

RupertH

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mostly
And as soon as you choose the max towing package, they force you into the 3.5L EcoBoost, nevermind if you want the other stuff that comes with the max towing package but want to keep the V8 (or the 3.3L V6 if you're weird or poor). That also means that you have to upgrade to Lariat trim or better to get the max towing package, because the 3.5L isn't an option on anything below that. No max towing on the work truck (XL) or kinda nice work truck (XLT).

Just about any option that upgrades you away from the base engine (FX4 package, anyone?) will default you to an EcoBoost instead of the V8. The only exceptions I've found to that are gaseous prep (Coyote only) and the 3.15 and 3.31 rear axles, which seem to require either the 3.5L EcoBoost or the Coyote.

I would speculate, then, that a 25% take rate on the V8 is probably less of what people are asking for and more about what is available.
It drives me nuts when options like a manual or V8 are tied to stupid things like a specific trim level, especially when it's a base model (manual) or top trim (usually where they stick the V8). Dealers only order things with the options they think people care about, so the average buyer, who's not a car guy, gets whatever POS they have on the lot with his/her option of choice (ass warmers, or pleated glovebox liner, or whatever it is people desperately want to have nearby while they block the left lane for an hour on their 30-min drive to work) and the best "Today Only" incentive...

But what makes me want to burn down their building is when after a year or two, they come out and say, "we tried offering that option, but no body wanted it, so we're killing it."

In another few years, when the manufacturers have deleted all the heart and soul from their cars, they're going to wake up to a world where they've so completely commoditized their products that no one cares and we all just buy into some rideshare deal. Guess what happens to dealers and prices when it becomes a B to B commodity war and the only buyers are fleets?

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

But what makes me want to burn down their building is when after a year or two, they come out and say, "we tried offering that option, but no body wanted it, so we're killing it."
Yeah, when I've gone to buy a new vehicle in the past, I've needed one nowish. I could gut it out for a few weeks, but not the months it takes to custom order.

If things go according to plan, that won't be an issue for me with the Bronco, so I can get what I want.

Even then, I'm not planning on top trim, fancy everything. I'm thinking as close to minimalist as possible while still getting the factory off road upgrades. That might change as time goes on, but function will still reign over form with me.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah, when I've gone to buy a new vehicle in the past, I've needed one nowish. I could gut it out for a few weeks, but not the months it takes to custom order.

If things go according to plan, that won't be an issue for me with the Bronco, so I can get what I want.

Even then, I'm not planning on top trim, fancy everything. I'm thinking as close to minimalist as possible while still getting the factory off road upgrades. That might change as time goes on, but function will still reign over form with me.
Iā€™m with you 100% a bronco equivalent of the ranger XLT FX4 with convenience Pack and Iā€™m good!

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford will always have great V-8 crate motors. That will never change till the end of time. ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦...

Amen FirstOnRaceDay !!!!! I love explaining it in plain English how Ford has built their V-8 correctly from the start. Distributor in the front( for the most accurate timing) and "spread" ports on the exhaust(not two exhaust ports together to make a hot spot and crack the head) unlike some "other" manufacturers have done. If someone out there is unfamiliar with what I am talking about look at a classic small block chevy and then look at an R07 Nascar chevy racing engine a look what they did. If it didn't have a bowtie on the valve cover one would swear it was a Ford motor.

Be a leader not a follower and don't take the taxpayers money, as far as I'm concerned there is only one car manufacturer and that is FORD. and I'm proud to have loved Fords for all my life.

edit: oops
Sponsored

Last edited: