redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Had a P600B on one of my Foxes. Bad ass little blower. I purchased the Procharger because it was designed to use an intercooler. Back then they were all non-intercooled, which puzzled me because I saw a lot of turbo charged cars with intercoolers. Procharger made sense to me.

My pulley combo had it at 21 LBS @ 6000 RPM, even though it still had the stock cam in it, I had no plans on running it that high, about 5500-5800. Boost gauge would read about 18 when I could glance at it while trying to pay attention to shift points. Everyone thought I was crazy but ……..50K on a stock 302 and it stayed together !!!

I was trying to achieve more boost, earlier in the RPM, to get more torque at a lower RPM. The biggest downfall to a centrifugal supercharger, not much torque down low like a turbo or screw supercharger.

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Had a P600B on one of my Foxes. Bad ass little blower. I purchased the Procharger because it was designed to use an intercooler. Back then they were all non-intercooled, which puzzled me because I saw a lot of turbo charged cars with intercoolers. Procharger made sense to me.

My pulley combo had it at 21 LBS @ 6000 RPM, even though it still had the stock cam in it, I had no plans on running it that high, about 5500-5800. Boost gauge would read about 18 when I could glance at it while trying to pay attention to shift points. Everyone thought I was crazy but ……..50K on a stock 302 and it stayed together !!!

I was trying to achieve more boost, earlier in the RPM, to get more torque at a lower RPM. The biggest downfall to a centrifugal supercharger, not much torque down low like a turbo or screw supercharger.
You were lucky with that much boost on a thin casting 5.0.

Hence why I went turbo on my fox way before the craze started, somewhere around 97 ish. It was a a street geared kit with a smaller turbo (and IC, like you said), but got full boost by 3000, which was impossible with centrifugals back then (I tried).

First turbo was one of these bad boys and I was hooked, HAHA!! (what really put me over the top was the AWD/turbo combo though, of a 90 talon I got used in 95)

s-l500.jpg

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You were lucky with that much boost on a thin casting 5.0.

Hence why I went turbo on my fox way before the craze started, somewhere around 97 ish. It was a a street geared kit with a smaller turbo (and IC, like you said), but got full boost by 3000, which was impossible with centrifugals back then (I tried).

First turbo was one of these bad boys and I was hooked, HAHA!! (what really put me over the top was the AWD/turbo combo though, of a 90 talon I got used in 95)

I almost bought a Laser just because it was the same setup as the Talon. All the mags back then had the two cars running the same times so it was a tossup for me, but I bought my first Fox instead.

It was explained to me back then, that because the Procharger was intercooled you could run more boost than non-intercooled and I kept the RPM below 5500 most of the time (helping the longevity).
I remember correctly, a Cartech kit was 9 lbs but capable of 15 lbs, so I thought hell if I short shift it we will see what happens. I was just wanted to make more torque with a centrifugal setup, like a good turbo setup. The market was so big back then, so many options. I was trying to be different.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I almost bought a Laser just because it was the same setup as the Talon. All the mags back then had the two cars running the same times so it was a tossup for me, but I bought my first Fox instead.

It was explained to me back then, that because the Procharger was intercooled you could run more boost than non-intercooled and I kept the RPM below 5500 most of the time (helping the longevity).
I remember correctly, a Cartech kit was 9 lbs but capable of 15 lbs, so I thought hell if I short shift it we will see what happens. I was just wanted to make more torque with a centrifugal setup, like a good turbo setup. The market was so big back then, so many options. I was trying to be different.
Cartech is the kit I had (have). The WG would stick if you didn't drive it too often. I hit 18 lbs once passing a couple cars, almost turned it sideways (normally ran 10). I just did a full eng comp clean up and finally went to some decent heads. It's probably still the best fitting fox turbo kit ever

IMG_1631.jpg

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Cartech is the kit I had (have). The WG would stick if you didn't drive it too often. I hit 18 lbs once passing a couple cars, almost turned it sideways (normally ran 10). I just did a full eng comp clean up and finally went to some decent heads. It's probably still the best fitting fox turbo kit ever

Ford Bronco Iron Coyote IMG_1631

That is effin' sweet OX1 !!!!!! (y)(y)?

My Procharger kit had a Cartech fuel pressure regulator in it. I purchased my kit early on In Procharger's infancy, my serial number ends in 003. My Fox is blown apart right now doing the same thing to it.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
That is effin' sweet OX1 !!!!!! (y)(y)?

My Procharger kit had a Cartech fuel pressure regulator in it. I purchased my kit early on In Procharger's infancy, my serial number ends in 003. My Fox is blown apart right now doing the same thing to it.
Thanks!!, about a year and half to get it that nice. Tuning has been a nightmare though........

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Found a little more info out about the whipple …...

It's a little long but pretty informative if you listen to what he has to say.
700/700 on 8 lbs of boost, have to love that.
Maybe someone will eventually make an alum block
that you can dump all the stock internals in............