First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have had almost a year to think about my build and am now questioning it. I was choosing between the BB and the OBX. I ordered a (BB/2 door/MID pkg/2.7/Sig lighting/tube steps/Roof rails/Tow pkg/Rear locker).
This will be my daily driver for both myself and my wife. We don't plan on doing any major off-roading. mostly camping and accessing trails for our bicycles. We chose the BB over the OBX because we liked the wheels and grill better on the BB, and it was less expensive.
The reason why I am rethinking my build is for the 4A. The BB does not let you add 4A as an option unless you get the Sas. We live in the NW and I am thinking it would be nice to use on the inclement weather days or going over a mountain pass with transitioning road conditions. The OBX lets you add this option.
I started thinking that we are getting most of the options on the BB that come standard on the OBX. I could opt for the smaller 2.3 engine on the OBX and add the 4A for about the same price as my current BB build with the 2.7.
We have also had a Jeep Cherokee in the past with the manual 4 hi and 4 low which was fine, but will I be missing that newer technology of the 4A?
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4A is about the same as the Quattro system by Audi. Not QUITE as advanced, but same concept.

I have not used Fords implementation so cannot speak to its quality. In my Audi Q7 it was a game changer compared to RWD/FWD SUVs. The Audi Q7 seats 7 but drives like a sports sedan because of the AWD nature of the vehicle.

You seem to understand the benefits of an AWD system as you spoke of inclement weather etc. Great for momentarily slippery conditions, like patches of ice or sand on the road. Helps in snow/black ice/rain. Gravel or dirt roads become much easier to traverse at high speed due to increased traction. The front end can pull you around the corner as your back end breaks free, keeping you on the road and pointed in the direction you're comfortable pointing.

Personally? the 4A is one of the features I am most excited for in my BL. I hope it works at least half as well as the Quattro system in my Audi. It would be great to not worry about swapping back and forth between 2H and 4H as the traction changes. Here in the Sonoran desert we have a constant mix of sand and hard packed clay which causes binding in 4H.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm a fan of the tried and true part time 4wd . Just engage 4wd in slick conditions and such, or when you want to drag race a 2wd vehicle taking off from a stop in the rain.

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So 2.7 or 4A....

If it isn't in the cards to get both, for your described use, the OBX sounds like the way to go. You get the high end IP, the fancy headlights, interior lighting, painted fenders/door handles, bunch of cosmetic niceties that will make it a nicer place to sit as you run down the road. Mechanically for off-road, if you ever get the itch, the slightly lower gearing on the A4 would be a plus. Less armor (that you won't use) so more payload by whatever the armor weighs. More standard safety stuff if that is your thing. All that plus the set it and forget it on-road 4wd system seems a better fit for your use.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So 2.7 or 4A....

If it isn't in the cards to get both, for your described use, the OBX sounds like the way to go. You get the high end IP, the fancy headlights, interior lighting, painted fenders/door handles, bunch of cosmetic niceties that will make it a nicer place to sit as you run down the road. Mechanically for off-road, if you ever get the itch, the slightly lower gearing on the A4 would be a plus. Less armor (that you won't use) so more payload by whatever the armor weighs. More standard safety stuff if that is your thing. All that plus the set it and forget it on-road 4wd system seems a better fit for your use.
I thought the high IP was a lie?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have had almost a year to think about my build and am now questioning it. I was choosing between the BB and the OBX. I ordered a (BB/2 door/MID pkg/2.7/Sig lighting/tube steps/Roof rails/Tow pkg/Rear locker).
This will be my daily driver for both myself and my wife. We don't plan on doing any major off-roading. mostly camping and accessing trails for our bicycles. We chose the BB over the OBX because we liked the wheels and grill better on the BB, and it was less expensive.
The reason why I am rethinking my build is for the 4A. The BB does not let you add 4A as an option unless you get the Sas. We live in the NW and I am thinking it would be nice to use on the inclement weather days or going over a mountain pass with transitioning road conditions. The OBX lets you add this option.
I started thinking that we are getting most of the options on the BB that come standard on the OBX. I could opt for the smaller 2.3 engine on the OBX and add the 4A for about the same price as my current BB build with the 2.7.
We have also had a Jeep Cherokee in the past with the manual 4 hi and 4 low which was fine, but will I be missing that newer technology of the 4A?
I'm curious what threads you've found on the topic of how 4A works and the difference between the two transfer cases?

There is also a member on these forums who works in the world of transmissions and was a contributor to articles on the subject.

As others have opined, once they figured out what 4A is and what it does (despite the horrible name from Ford and limited info they provide), they believe it to be a very worthwhile option for their Bronco.

linbackr99

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor Crew
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In VT I am in 4A in my Raptor often . . . it's perfect in the winter and 4A + SPORT mode is the way to go on the back roads IMO. Would not want a vehicle without it.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am down here in TX and I keep my F150 in 4A all the time. It's nice to not sit there and spin when the light turns green after it rains. If I was in the Pacific Northwest I would most definitely opt for 4A over the 2.7 if I had to choose. It's a good system and, at least in the F150, has a diagram readout on the instrument cluster showing how much power is going to each wheel.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm a fan of the tried and true part time 4wd . Just engage 4wd in slick conditions and such, or when you want to drag race a 2wd vehicle taking off from a stop in the rain.
This! Unless you're asleep at the wheel, you should be able to understand when it's time to turn on 4H. In a vehicle like a Bronco, I much prefer me doing the thinking than the computer, but that's me. If I'm not mistaken, trail turn assist only works with Adv 4X4 (right?). This feature is cool as heck, so it's worth getting it for that. I'll never use 4A on my Sas.

OP
OP
MBLANCHARD

MBLANCHARD

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm curious what threads you've found on the topic of how 4A works and the difference between the two transfer cases?

There is also a member on these forums who works in the world of transmissions and was a contributor to articles on the subject.

As others have opined, once they figured out what 4A is and what it does (despite the horrible name from Ford and limited info they provide), they believe it to be a very worthwhile option for their Bronco.

Thanks,

I have seen some threads on the topic including this info from Ford.

Ford Bronco™ 4x4 Traction Systems | Ford How-To | Ford

Which has got me more interested, hence me rethinking my build. I currently have a Escape with Intelligent 4 wheel drive, which I have enjoyed and felt more comfortable having my wife not worry about when to engage anything. I know it's a different system, but thinking the 4A is a similar feature. It sound like a worthwhile feature.

Thanks,
Mark

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This! Unless you're asleep at the wheel, you should be able to understand when it's time to turn on 4H. In a vehicle like a Bronco, I much prefer me doing the thinking than the computer, but that's me. If I'm not mistaken, trail turn assist only works with Adv 4X4 (right?). This feature is cool as heck, so it's worth getting it for that. I'll never use 4A on my Sas.
TTA is a function of the 10sp Auto only.

KANE COUNTY ILLINOIS

Big Bend
First Name
SAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC YUKON
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I was in the same boat.....I wanted 4A for the Chicagoland area winters...burrrr....but ended up with the BB VB 4DR 2.3 AUTO Tube-Step MID Sig Lighting....Sig Lighting/Tube Steps/Wheels won, and cheaper price than the BD. I currently have a Ford SUV AWD work vehicle I get to take home, and my wife has a newer Honda CRV that's AWD, so it made my decision a little bit easier. My Bronco won't be driven off the road, no way! Clean for the malls....hahaha!! Good luck!
Sponsored