Sponsored

Is $5k too much for a professional audio overhaul?

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I know that the B&O system sucks. My sub rattles every panel in the tailgate and the audio stage up front is laughable. That’s with MIC… wait until the top comes off… ugh.

I can do most anything underneath the hood or with the chassis. However, I am functionally useless when it comes to audio and scared to screw up my interior while I use my gorilla skills to rip apart plastic panels that are flawless on a new vehicle.

So I found the most reputable audio installer in my city and I have no doubt they would deliver something good.

My question is if it’s worth ~$5k? They want o go with an MTI sub enclosure, MTI pods, JL speakers with a disconnect of the center dash and components in the front dash and foot wells.

They want I use the OE sub space for amps and then some kind of control mechanism (god look how dumb…) to eq tune the system and leave me with otherwise seamless audio control through the OE 12” display.

I’m not an audiophile, but I like my music…

Should I soak up the $5k or really get gutsy and start ripping apart this mint interior with little plastic tools while I mar every visible surface and break all the little tabs and plastic bits?

If I man up and go DIY will the juice be worth the squeeze? Or will I just end up with a bunch of compromises and ultimately an appointment for a $4k overhaul?
Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

5k should damn near get you a starter show car setup.

Other than the sub build (which isn't hard but a little more technical) it's all pretty easy stuff.

You can go all-in for a little over 1k, 2k if you're getting silly.

JeffL

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Hellcat Redeye / 2023 Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
that's about what i was planning on. couple sets of separates front / rear. a prefab JL sub box 10W6v2, and 2 amps, 1 4-channel and 1 single channel for the sub. Also that thing that allows you to use the factory head unit. installed figure $5k

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If it is worth it to you and your peace of mind then do it.
I have a base system and upgraded it myself with adding a sub in the factory sub position. I have about $1500 in parts alone and I didn’t use any high end components, but the sound is amazing.
from what I’ve read of others experience 5K does not sound too bad

Sponsored

BroncoBLCG

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The MTI, Sub, Can's, and AMP rack are not cheap by themselves. I like everything that MTI has to offer but the CAN's I had my first set warrantied to to warping in the hot sun. However options are limited to put a 6.5" speaker in. The second set of can's already were an upgraded design over 1.0 and I've had no issues.

Time is money, for me 5k is reasonable for everything mentioned if its the nicer JL stuff. You didnt list out which components they are using. DIY will always be cheaper but based on your thread it doesnt sound like you want to take this on yourself.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I must have always had cr@p car stereo's in the past. I find the B&O sound system to be awesome!! Yes, it has some rattles when the BASS hits, but I blame that on the surrounding plastic panels. I don't see how adding more power and an even bigger Sub will make those rattles go away.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just the ZEN-A2B / DSP6A-A2B alone is going to run you $780, and that's retail on the piece you'll need to keep Sync4 and all of your HVAC stuff working properly.
I spent about $3k, and went pretty mid-high range stuff.
I kept my previous amps, and subwoofer, new speakers all around.
(Hertz brand speakers in kick panels, dash, and rear pods)

If I also had to buy amps, and a new sub, yeah, $4k-$5k doesn't seem out of question for a high end system.

emulous74

Badlands
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ZR2 Bison D , '23 Bronco 2DR, MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't think that sound unreasonable if in fact they are the most reputable installers in your area. The other thing that you are paying for, is if there is a problem a reputable installer is going to go all out to correct it if it is an installation or product problem.

I've spent way more than that amount back in the 90's with a/d/s and alpine stuff in custom installs.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I must have always had cr@p car stereo's in the past. I find the B&O sound system to be awesome!! Yes, it has some rattles when the BASS hits, but I blame that on the surrounding plastic panels. I don't see how adding more power and an even bigger Sub will make those rattles go away.
For a stock stereo, the B&O is definitely not bad.
If it makes you happy, hell yeah!

Save that money for more off-road gear or adventures!

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you want a custom-built-for-your-Bronco system or a "good enough" system? The system you are being quoted seems real nice and - for what is being included and the labor - priced pretty fairly. So long as you are good spending $5K on a Bronco audio system I'm sure you'll be happy with that one. I'll be pursuing the "good enough" avenue with some more pedestrian gear using what I've picked up here on various other threads.

I do hope you'll post updates with whatever you choose to do!

ThisGuy611

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E90 M3 6spd Sedan; EG Base Scheduled 3/27
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

$5k sounds steep unless you're going full audiophile... New speakers, sound deadening and whatever else to ensure nothing rattles in the back, and an amp should be done under $2k. The amp is the biggest thing missing in the broncos from what I understand, the current setup simply doesn't output enough power to them.

This could also help with the 6.5" speakers: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/mabett-6-5-rear-speaker-pods-available-now.60944/

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

To further expound:

I do have a couple caveats, I am a former audio installer so I do actually enjoy doing the work.

I'm also cheap, but besides that, I like to learn things so I am willing to try anything for the sake of learning and to also potentially save money. I have done:

Tiling many projects, including 2 showers and 3 floors
Vinyl tile flooring
Upholstery in our mustang
Learned to weld to repair mustang
Going to paint mustang myself to learn that trade
etc etc

I like doing things but rarely have time so stuff does take forever. If the money isn't a huge financial burden then get it done and be happy. Get a count on the cost of the parts and if they aren't raping you on labor, do it, it is a lot of work and it's not fun work and if you've never done it before it will take 2-3x longer.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have $2500 in mine with all kicker and kicker key amps, that’s with professional install. 5k seems way high to me

steverollin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Badlands, BMW X7, LX 570, TRX on order
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
$5k too high for what you describe. I spent $3k and would have probably saved 500 bucks had I not gone down the hidden sub path. Thing to keep in mind is that our cars are super noisy inside. Cars are generally bad listening environments anyway but broncos and jeeps are some of the worst. So unless you are a legit audiophile I would aim for something in that price range. Loud over perfect audio quality is good enough for most.
Sponsored