Sponsored

Is $5k too much for a professional audio overhaul?

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have done a Ton of car audio in my cars over the years. Just keep in mind there is a TON of mark up and a lot of room to deal on stuff in Car Audio. When my Bronco gets here I'm going to go light with car Audio at about 3k but will have a great set up.

My GT500 I'm driving now I went a little over board but it sounds Amazing.

image001.jpeg
IMG_4457.jpg
IMG_4043.jpg
What’s your plan for the Bronco? Is it significantly different than what I’m looking at?
Sponsored

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Do what makes you happy. Get more than one quote on exact same system if you want to justify pricing on equipment. Impossible to do so with labor because everybody's skill set is different. If you have no experience, and even more importantly, no enthusiasm or no patience, take it to a professional. I was a pro installer in the 80s and early 90s, and 5K for a system was nothing back then. We regularly installed 10K and up. I personally had an 89 Bronco with about 8K (dealer cost, no labor) worth of ALPINE, it was top of the line back in the day. You are paying for labor and experience, the latter being nearly priceless. You can pay them now to do it, or pay them later to fix it. Just my 2 cents...
Oh- for sure. I’ve seen enough at this point to say for sure I’m having this done professionally. I’ll stick with suspension and mechanical…. Bloody knuckles and grease are more my lane.

monkeyboy1317

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 EB Bronco, '13 Tacoma, '10 Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Oh- for sure. I’ve seen enough at this point to say for sure I’m having this done professionally. I’ll stick with suspension and mechanical…. Bloody knuckles and grease are more my lane.
Same here, I am all about electronics. Been doing tech work for the last 30ish years. But when it comes to mechanical, you would be better off giving a monkey a hammer and a crescent wrench.

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right- this is why I asked because I’m running into the same issue. It’s easier and cheaper to upgrade everything under the Lux. But as soon as you get to the B&O you start having to deal w DSP. Then you’re at amps. Then you’re at or over $3k.
Then you’re asking yourself what’s an extra $500-1000 to get it setup without many or any compromises….

In the other trims it seems you can upgrade much quicker and cheaper with a more basic approach.

By all means someone correct me if I am misunderstanding.
No, you've pretty much got it right. I was just replying to the 22OBX person saying they got a decent stereo for $1k, which just isn't possible on the LUX package.
That barely pays for the DSP for us LUX guys 🤣

I agree though, what's another $500-$1000 for a stereo that's going to last you many years. :cool:

22OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F150 Lariat, '04 F150 Lariat, '73 F100 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm guessing that's for a standard, mid, or high package. The LUX package unfortunately requires a DSP if you're going to use an amp for the speakers. The ZEN-A2B / DSP6A-A2B is $780 just for the ability to use an aftermarket amp with Sync4/LUX.

If you're just replacing the speakers and using the factory amp for the speakers, absolutely agreed though!
You can definitely do it for cheap, and get much better sound than factory with just some better speakers. It's a great upgrade.
Forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder.

Sponsored

dinosaurkun

Badlands
First Name
dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2DR BL 7sp MT in HPR, Mojave in HBP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i do think the B&O system isn't so bad.
i think it sounds nice enough with "surround" mode on.
i did swap out the stock speakers.
now i have audiofrogs in all the spots aside from the sub - still stock, for now.
that includes using 6.5" coaxials in the rear pods instead the 4" stock ones.
all that is about $1200.
the speaker swaps helped mostly with the volume - previously used 10-14...now 7-10.
i can't tell if it's given me that much more clarity as there's a good amount of background noise in the bronco to begin with.

i could probably just stick with that and be satisfied...but i've gathered the parts to do even more.
i got the PAC AP4-FD31 instead of the Zen or Axxess system.
it's a bit cheaper than the others, and i've had success with PAC stuff in my Gladiator.
i have the stinger tailgate sub, DSP, 8-ch amp for speakers, and another mono amp for the sub.
i think it's like $3000'ish for all that and the speakers above.

if the $5000 install includes all the above, wiring, and labor...i don't think it's that outlandish.
a fun project to tinker with, a car i'll be driving often, sound i can enjoy with or without the top on...end of the day it's all worth it to me.

2fast4u

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500 and Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What’s your plan for the Bronco? Is it significantly different than what I’m looking at?

Yea I'm not going crazy on this build just simple and loud :)

I think I'm going to do 3 way Infinity Kappa Perfect in the front.

Going to go to 6.5" in the rear not sure on speakers yet maybe Infinity Kappa Perfect

Sub in a Custom tailgate box JL 12" TW3

Sub Amp JL VX1000 Because I have one sitting around in the garage.

4 Ch. Amp D-4.800 with DSP.

should sound good and not be a crazy build.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Personally, it is all in what you want. For me, it's a vehicle that you will most likely replace in 3-10 years and are not in all of the time. It also has a hard/softtop that leaks air and has terrible acoustics.

If you are spending 5k you better be getting an amazing setup. I mean I am around 1500 with Polk DB's speakers all around, key amp, new wiring harnesses for all speakers, PNP kit for the install, dynamat in all locations that speakers were installed, and a Kicker HS10 Hideaway sub mounted via a Molle panel in the trunk.

1-2k: High-End. Compete with the best stock sounds in the industry. DIY or have someone install upper tier replacement speakers, key amp, and add/replace existing sub. Will sound better than any high-end stock and rival some nice basic custom installs.

2-4k: Audiophile. You really want the best sound. EQ, separate amps, top shelf speakers, and sub in custom box/mount. Possible dyanmat etc.

5k+: Competition. All in, you are taking it to competitions or really want to show it off. You are doing everything above with top components and no cost spared.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Personally, it is all in what you want. For me, it's a vehicle that you will most likely replace in 3-10 years and are not in all of the time. It also has a hard/softtop that leaks air and has terrible acoustics.

If you are spending 5k you better be getting an amazing setup. I mean I am around 1500 with Polk DB's speakers all around, key amp, new wiring harnesses for all speakers, PNP kit for the install, dynamat in all locations that speakers were installed, and a Kicker HS12 Hideaway sub mounted via a Molle panel in the trunk.

1-2k: High-End. Compete with the best stock sounds in the industry. DIY or have someone install upper tier replacement speakers, key amp, and add/replace existing sub. Will sound better than any high-end stock and rival some nice basic custom installs.

2-4k: Audiophile. You really want the best sound. EQ, separate amps, top shelf speakers, and sub in custom box/mount. Possible dyanmat etc.

5k+: Competition. All in, you are taking it to competitions or really want to show it off. You are doing everything above with top components and no cost spared.
Are you including labor in this breakdown?

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you including labor in this breakdown?
Yes. My DIY was 1100 less the molle panel which is optional and you can get cheaper. All in it probably took me 4h, I'd assume labor would be around 4-500 on that max. So 2k is the high side for the high-end.

Going up the levels you are adding more labor time in the factor. Moving up to audiophile your hardware probably goes up another 1500, so you are looking at 2500-3000 plus labor. I think the going rate is about 80/h depending on location.

Edit: Try coming up with a gameplan and hardware you need. Once you have the hardware cost you can estimate the time and shop around for installers. Some will want to order so they can make money on the hardware too, others will let you bring it and tell you an estimated time and labor rate. I will say the Bronco is insane easy to work on, especially if you use the PNP kits and get the speaker wiring harnesses. All the panels are easy access and firewall access to the battery are stupid easy to do.

Last edited:

greatlakes

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Buick Special
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some will want to order so they can make money on the hardware too, others will let you bring it and tell you an estimated time and labor rate.
As someone who worked in audio shops back in the day, shops typically hate installing customer-owned equipment. It's just a headache and commonly a blame-game if something goes wrong.
Sponsored