Sponsored

Is any company working on roof rack systems?

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
So Hobbs is sending me the brush guard AND the roof rack. They have been in touch to let me know it has to ship crate and they are trying to get a decent quote before sending it across the nation.

I’m not sure why but they sent the rear brackets separately and I just got them today. I’m hoping to hear from them on Monday that the crate is in transit so I can get the parts mounted up. Really looking forward to getting a nice steel rack on the 2 door!

6108221D-EB2A-4E5F-8C16-7A2CFE33B02B.jpeg
That and 110 lb weight limit.
@BronchoPeat - Will be interesting to see if Hobbs improves the clamping system.
I look at the MIC notch out for the clamp as the weak link in this low " in Motion " weight limit. I wonder about torque applied from an off center or shifting load.
Would be nice to see a cross section cut of this notched area.
Sponsored

BronchoPeat

Base
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.evergreenclothier.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 Tiguan S w/4motion | '14 Fiesta SE Hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

@BronchoPeat - Will be interesting to see if Hobbs improves the clamping system.
I look at the MIC notch out for the clamp as the weak link in this low " in Motion " weight limit. I wonder about torque applied from an off center or shifting load.
Would be nice to see a cross section cut of this notched area.
an accurate assessment. I don’t think there is much improvement that can be made on the clamp style for the notch in the MIC top. If there is it’s marginal at best.

I think a true improvement is a rack that extends down to mount to the body where the MIC top is secured. This would at least improve the static load considerably. Like the one we’ve seen on the 4WP rig.

The reason I like the Hobbs rack is it sits pretty low to the roof and integrates the lateral bars into the design. The factory rack with the Yakima add on starts to really get tall which for my garage height won’t work.

we’ll see how it stacks up once I get it fitted. Just grateful to do some test fitting for them as well as our community here so folks can make some informed decisions.

Sponsored

JcrOffroad

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will it have a better dynamic weight limit?
If ppl are willing to drill through the top. We are planning to tie mounts into the rollbar, like we do on Jeep. These tie in mounts will most likely be optional, but needed to properly hold an RTT.

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If ppl are willing to drill through the top. We are planning to tie mounts into the rollbar, like we do on Jeep. These tie in mounts will most likely be optional, but needed to properly hold an RTT.
Interested. Tell us more!

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two things needed in a roof rack, enough strength for a RTT and enough clearance to remove hard top panels. There's no reason some company can't make this for $1k. Plenty of companies have racks for around $1k for Jeeps, 4runners, Lexus, etc.

JcrOffroad

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two things needed in a roof rack, enough strength for a RTT and enough clearance to remove hard top panels. There's no reason some company can't make this for $1k. Plenty of companies have racks for around $1k for Jeeps, 4runners, Lexus, etc.
It’s probably going to be in that range, however making the panels removable complicates things.

On our full length jeep racks, front freedom panels are no longer removable.

The platform ford gave us with the MIC top is also less strong than the Jeep top. That’s going to take some extra consideration.

I’d guess when we get to a full rack, it will fall in the $1200 range shipped, with cage tie in’s.

Last edited:

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s probably going to be in that range, however making the panels removable complicates things.

The platform ford gave us with the MIC top is also less strong than the Jeep top. That’s going to take some extra consideration.

I’d get when we get to a full rack, it will fall in the $1200 range shipped, with cage tie in’s.
Sounds like you have a solid plan underway, looking forward to seeing the final product 😎

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’d guess when we get to a full rack, it will fall in the $1200 range shipped, with cage tie in’s.
What I want is a rack that fits on the clam shell section only and ties into the roll bar or body so roof weight is not dependant on the MIC.

The ability to remove the first and second row tops is a must.

Basically a rack that maybe has optional/removable arms that reach up to the windshield for those that want a RTT, But otherwise can be left off for people that are just looking to carry some cargo and still enjoy the open air.

Heck..what if the bars above the tops had a quick release from the rest of the rack. ...Patent pending :)

JcrOffroad

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I want is a rack that fits on the clam shell section only and ties into the roll bar or body so roof weight is not dependant on the MIC.

The ability to remove the first and second row tops is a must.

Basically a rack that maybe has optional/removable arms that reach up to the windshield for those that want a RTT, But otherwise can be left off for people that are just looking to carry some cargo and still enjoy the open air.

Heck..what if the bars above the tops had a quick release from the rest of the rack. ...Patent pending :)
Looking to spend a lot of money? 😂

broncosor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It already exists. This one allows to remove both front and mid panels:

https://badasstents.com/product/2021-22-ford-new-bronco-full-size-roof-rack/

The problem I have with this one is there is no option to bolt it to roll bar, so the load rating has no reason to be different than the ford one.
Secondly, the front look/design looks unfinished. Third, it could be lighter.

Criteria:
- Design similar to the Zroadz (best design/look I have seen so far) and allows mounting a light bar in the front
- As light as possible (use aluminum). A RTT is already havy. Nobody wants 300 pounds on his roof while offraoding, not matter the load rating, this will kill the center of gravity.
- Can be bolted to roll bar to allow higher load rating than factory option (unlike ZroadZ and Badasstent options).
- If possible: allows top panels removal. The 2nd advantage with this is it will give more room to attach/dettach a tent. If the rack is way too low profile it can be impossible to attach the tent.
- have t-slots so we can use this marvelous quick release system:
- Price less than 1500.

Whoever is first on the market with what I described will get my money and my best friend’s money who also got a Bronco and is basically looking for the same rack.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looking to spend a lot of money? 😂
Maybe, But rhino rack backbone for Wranglers is less than $500 for the mounts including the internal support. Add that to the roof rack similar to the one on the Bronco fishing concept that only fits the shell.....

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just want a rack for the rear clamshell to carry a cargo box and/or my kayaks