Sponsored

Is anyone concerned about the 10-Speed Auto?

Bcacali24

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 F-250 IDI Turbo Diesel Ext Cab 4x4 5-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So Fords 10-speed auto has a few class action lawsuits against it right now. A ton of people are having issues with them from 2017-2020 and Ford won’t fix it from what I’ve read. Transmission clunking shifting hard stuck in a gear etc. I personally rented a limited f-150 4x4 with 700 miles on it and it had a bad drivetrain vibration in 3rd gear. I’m sure many people are running them with no issues but kinda sketchy to hand Ford your money knowing they are not backing up their product for what is likely thousands of people... thoughts?
Sponsored

limepickle

First Name
Sur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z3 Coupe (Clownshoe)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Well, I am now lol. I had no idea about the class action or 10 speed issues. The good news is that the new Lincoln Aviator hasn't yet run into the same type of problems, so hopefully Ford has worked out the kinks in more recent applications of the 10 speed.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
There has been 2 recalls for the 10r80 that we’re directly relate to the lawsuit.

1 software update. To help with smoother shifting

2 replace plastic shift linage clips. (Very common issue)

this only apples for “mechanical” shift levers. So older vehicles. Most newer fords and All Lincoln’s use electrics in the shift lever or dial to change gears, vs a direct linage from the lever to trans,

Ford is working out the bugs in the transmission and it sounds like this is mainly related to the f150. Probably due to weight.

also the MAIN reason for the class action lawsuit. Isn’t because ford is trying to fix it, isn’t because some one wrecked, or got hurt or truck is underivable.

the lawsuit is for “Loss of vehicle’s resale value“ ....... some people.

Bronco_Mando

Badlands
First Name
Mando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ranger; MDX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is one of the reasons why I’m going with the 7 speed. (The other is that I am a control freak) But I am also aware of recalls on the manual transmission of the mustang and focus... hmm. Which is more reliable automatics or manuals??

OP
OP
Bcacali24

Bcacali24

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is one of the reasons why I’m going with the 7 speed. (The other is that I am a control freak) But I am also aware of recalls on the manual transmission of the mustang and focus... hmm. Which is more reliable automatics or manuals??
Yeah and I believe this is the first time Ford has used this transmission manufacturer right? Or I could be completely wrong

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I gotta have the stick! Hope the 10-speed works out for you all.

Ford Bronco Is anyone concerned about the 10-Speed Auto? 1594482457467

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had bad luck with nearly every auto trans car I've owned. Maybe I keep cars too long. Manual trans has been gold for me. My wife's Geo Storm manual topped 200k miles with manual trans and original clutch! I hope Ford offers a robust 7 speed.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man, if only there was a transmission that used nearly century-old methods to be more reliable and easier to work on/diagnose while also being more enjoyable to drive...

KCBRUIN

First Edition
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 screw 3.5eb
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’ve got the 10 speed in my personal 3.5 2018 F150, and my 2018 work 5.0 F150. Love this transmission, and no issues for me so far... (furiously knocks on wood)

OP
OP
Bcacali24

Bcacali24

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Man, if only there was a transmission that used nearly century-old methods to be more reliable and easier to work on/diagnose while also being more enjoyable to drive...
I love driving stick but I got hit by a car in college riding my motorcycle and tore up everything in my left knee. Now ten years later my knee is killin me after driving stick for a short time.

Sponsored

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately it looks like the 7 speed is going to be made in China. It might have more problems than the 10 speed auto.
For what it's worth my anecdotal evidence says the 10 speed is a good trans.

Deleted member 3063

there are tons of Ford 10spd trans out there in several different models since 2017 yet one of the reasons they used to justify the lawsuit was Ford recalls on the 6spd trans. probably the only thing they have in common is the trans fluid.
the web magnifies all problems into a BFD. for sure there were some teething problems in the beginning but they seem to be software related..
I'd be more worried about the manual.

go ahead, google most anything auto related and add the word problems to the search line.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unfortunately it looks like the 7 speed is going to be made in China. It might have more problems than the 10 speed auto.
no location Has been named for the Getrag 7 speed yet. And they have factories EVERYWHERE. 24 different plants in 11 countries. Mostly in Germany.

However Losts of people are saying the 7speed sounds VERY similar to the 5speed used in the G-wagon. That transmission is a fan favorite over there. Made in Germany.

so we shall see. I don’t think there will be many issues with either transmission

TXBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
CHINA!!!??? DAMNIT.
10sp it is..